LegacyGT.com

CEL comes on and takes throttle away

Have codes p0638 throttle actuator control range/performance and p2109 throttle/pedal position sensor a minimum stop performance. Started with the first code and would not let me clear the code. So for shits and giggles i diconnected the accelterator pedal connector and reconnected it. It would allow me to then clear the code. I get to drive it for 3 drive cycles and on the fourth time the minute i start to drive the cel comes on and i lose throttle. Did the same thing wit diconnecting and reconnecting the pedal connector. Allowed to clear the code. This morning it happened again but then i also got the p2109 code with it. Any ideas? Im thinking its the pedal assy itself.

well the cel came back on and took away my throttle again, so i guess it wasnt the pedal assy. I removed the inter cooler and checked the connection at the throttle body. while i was cleaning it, it seems to have some play in the throttle plate shaft, is that normal?

well the light came back on this morning on my way to work. i pulled over and tried to clear the code. would not clear. i went under the hood and tried to pull the connector at the throttle body off. i was not able to unplug it but i was able to move it and then the code cleared and i was able to get to work. im thinking it is a connection issue. so tonight when i get home im going to remove the intercooler and unplug the connector and put a little bit of dielectric grease on there and see if this fixes my problem. if that doesnt work should i replace the harness?

• 7 months later...

I would guess it's a bad TPS, but I'd have it checked out before I started throwing money at may be's...

Do you have a trusted local repair shop ?

Check the local forums for one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would guess it's a bad TPS, but I'd have it checked out before I started throwing money at may be's...

Do you have a trusted local repair shop ?

Check the local forums for one.

I just moved to Arizona from Chicago so I know knowone yet :confused:

Yea I'm actually down in Arizona now Max. Thanks for the recommendation though.

DUH, I read that but it came out backwards in my mind....tough getting old...LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 years later...
I'm bumping an old thread because I was having this exact problem with my GF's 06 LGT. I searched, read all the related threads, and found no clear answer to the problem. After checking all the suggested areas, relay, pedal sensor, etc., I figured I was going to have to replace the throttle body or TPS, throttle control part if it was available separately. Because it was Sunday and I wasn't getting the part that day, I went and removed the throttle body. Then used carb/throttle body cleaner and a brush to clean it to a point where I could check it out. I noticed a hole in the lower back of the part and when I sprayed some cleaner in it, I learned it was a vent to the sensor/electric control area under the plastic cap because the cleaner started leaking out around the clipped on plastic cap. The cleaner coming out was filthy and thick with crap, so using low pressure air and the cleaner, I kept filling, shaking and blowing out the unit until the cleaner ran out clean. Because I had nothing else to do, I reassembled everything, and not only got the smoothest idle I've ever felt on the car,but the throttle issue and codes have not come back over the past few hundred miles. Still waiting for the call from her saying it's back, but with every passing day I'm thinking that something under that cover was cleaned and now is working normally. Maybe it's not a completely orthodox repair, but it seems to have worked for this LGT. Just thought I'd share, because if you're taking the TB off anyway, a half hour of effort could chase an annoying gremlin away.

Archived