LegacyGT.com

97 legacy L wagon keeps blowing tail light fuse

my 97 wagon keeps blowing the 10A tail light fuse. doesn't pop right away so I know its not a dead short. I have replaced the fuse once and noticed the other day about 3weeks later that the tail lights are out again, brake lights work just no tail lights. any one have any ideas?

If you have a multimeter make sure that the impedance is consistant and not wavering at the taillight terminal.

Also, this may be a dumbb question but you replaced all lights associated with the taillights being on in the rear?

Sorta like how if one blinker goes out it starts blinking real fast

• 3 weeks later...
I just had the same exact issue come up in my mazda. It ended up being the wiring that runs up the trunk lid had actually been bent so much it just broke apart. Double check your wires in the trunk, specifically where the lid hinges. You may need to peel back any electrical tape that is wrapped around the wiring.

i don't remember off hand if there are ''tail lights'' on the rear hatch, but the wires that jump from the chassis to the hatch can wear and break. this is a fairly common cause of the rear wiper not working.

good luck.

+3 for the wires at the hinge, happened to my truck at the back doors for the speakers. also, yes there are 2 bulbs (brake and running) in the hatch. at least there are on my 95 wagon. two corners on the body and two on the hatch. i seem to have a hard time keeping all 4 lit at the same time lately.

Archived