LegacyGT.com

How satisfied are you with your '05+ LGT?

Long time registered user, first time poster.

I wanted to find out how happy the people that bought the first model year of the LGT have been with their purchase. I've always heard "don't buy the first model year of a revised or newly designed car". I'm wondering if it's true with the Legacy's?

What improvements have been made since? I've already read that the 05-06 do not have a fold down rear seat? That just seems strange in this day and age. Even my '99 even has it. But that's a minor annoyance. I can always look at it as making the trunk more secure. Any mechanical problems that were present in the earlier models that I should look out for when I decide to upgrade?

Thanks for any info and I look forward to joining you folks here if and when I am able to upgrade to the next gen...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love my 05. Even with the rattles, soft paint, no aux stereo input (remedied by Jazzy ent.) it is still a good car. I've been stage 1 (Cobb 93oct) for the last few months. It made a HUGE difference. I'll be installing stage 2 parts in the upcoming week. My favorite thing about the LGT is the modification options. A low miles 05 that hasn't been beat on is a guaranteed great car. If I could have anything, though, I'd probably try and find an 07 spec b. I like the blue interior and six speed. Next time I guess.

117k on mine and I love it.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Good car all around for the money. If your looking based on price, get the 05/06... If you want a few more niceties, get the 07/08, want a better stereo 09, want the ugliest Legacy ever to grace the planet get the 2010... nuff said
If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

I think it's pretty bitching that my 05 has the lightweight hood as well. I notice every time i pick up the hood.

Problems:

1) center diff noise about year 2, fixed under warranty.

2) Exploded clutch at 37000 miles, my fault, but probably would have been fixed if under 36K

3) Front O2 sensor just went, fixed that myself.

4) Brakes are starting to chatter. Time to upgrade!

5) The low beam headlamps burn out way too fast.

Pros:

1) Fkn love this car!

2) Mustangs suck.

It's typically true that you don't want to buy the first model year, but that's because you don't want to be the guinea pig. Usually, most of the issues have been ironed out after that. I bought mine used because any major recall issues would've/should've been taken care of. They don't have an MP3 player/Aux Jack on the 05, and you can't buy an aftermarket stereo if you have the automatic climate control. I like the gauges in my 05 better than the newer models, and the stereo issue can be resolved by buying a newer year OEM stereo.

I'm ok with mine. Seems to be better after the 3rd tranny rebuild. Owned it since late Jun 04.

Glad I had the Spec 2+ clutch put in at the first tranny rebuild at 70,000 miles.

Second rebuild at 92,000 miles then again a few weeks later for a second gear.

Been at stage 1 93 octane for 100,000 miles now. That's the power Subaru should have given this car.

Knock on wood, I've had not axle bearing problems or strut problems.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the comments. Glad to hear all the good things about the car. It makes me feel better about narrowing my choice down to the 05/06 MY. It's between the Legacy and the FXT if I can swing it financially. I forgot to mention I'm looking for a 5EAT to deal with bay area traffic. Any thoughts on the auto?

I don't really need the AUX jack. Does the CD player play mp3 CDs? Wheel bearings aren't too bad to do. Are they still press-in or the hub type? Soft paint? Well, that's a Subaru trademark.

Remember FXT is based on the impezza platform. LGT is a better car. My 05 has been one of the best cars I have owned . Exceptionally reliable too. Had a first year SVX that acted more like pinto (reliability wise)

I have an 05 with about 45k on it, and I've been very happy with it. So it's only needed oil changes, scheduled maintenance, a dashboard rattle that was fixed under warranty. Plus intake and exhaust upgrades, but those were purely voluntary. :)

05 radios don't play MP3s, but I swapped in an 06 head unit that does. They used to be easy to find, though I'm not sure if they still are. Plug-and-play, you wouldn't know it wasn't stock. The 06 unit has no aux in, but a local guy swapped an 07 unit into his car to get that.

73,000 miles on the car. it's awesome. i don't have rattles. had the major tune up, 3 sets of tires, changed timing belts, battery, and thats it. sometimes the drivers window chooses to not work.

i was hit in the front and had the whole front bumper/hood replaced and my car looks new in the front!

05 legacy is awesome!

I'm very happy with my 05' un-ltd. No problems other than the usual lights burning out (both head lamps, dome light). Only 30K miles on her, so hopefully will be having a lot more trouble free miles.

The bad: No fold down rear seats and no rear wiper. Only two things I don't like about the car. My old 95' Legacy L sedan had fold down rear seats and my 99' Forester had the rear wiper. I wish we got those things standard on the 05'+ USDM models

Still happy with mine! Sept '04 build date with 72k miles on the clock now. The only warranty items I've had were a bad center diff and two bad wheel bearings, which were replaced under warranty. (The wheel bearing repair was denied at one dealer, and replaced with no questions at another.)

I have not had any other problems with mine; not even with the headlight bulbs burning out. I have had a few other minor complaints, but they are all design issues and certainly not quality problems with the new model. And most of those things I've been dissatisfied with have been modified to my liking now thanks to the great advice and ingenuity of our fellow members here! This site has truly been an outstanding resource! :wub:

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

The reason for no fold down rear seat (only that small center section folds down, enough for a pair of skiis or a snowboard) is for structural rigidity and to reduce chasis flexing. At least from what I have read according to motorweek or some other company that was reviewing the LGT.

Archived