LegacyGT.com

Question for anyone with a Bayson R Lip.

asianrage

Unpainted ia the way to go.

I actually tried to paint it using Krylon (for plastic). I didn't like the texture so I ended up wiping it all off using acetone. The original PU finish is dark and compliment well with the QSM color of my car.

FWIW, the install process required an extra set of hand to position and keep the lip in place while I drill. And the four popits that come with the kit aren't as durable as OEM version since the head will break on you if you have to pry it up ever so gently.

Looks great...How hard to install? Pics amd info please? Also, where did u order that? Thanks...[emoji120]

I purchased it on ebay bayson type r lip. $100 shipped. Took me 10 minutes. 4 of those plastic pop in fastener and 8 screws. All predrilled on the lip just used a drill bit to put holes on the under side of my bumper. All screws came with the lip. Easiest mod in a long time i did it by myself. I highly recommend it.

Is there a preference among suggested lips...JDM style or other style...is it something one person can do or is 2 needed?[emoji2]

As a novice modder, i must ask what size drill bit needed for bumper screws..[emoji120] ..thnks

I was able to install it by myself, but I used a couple of buckets to help support the ends of the lip (far side of bumper by the wheels). 2 people would definitely make it easier.

You don't need to predill the holes. The screws they provide will tap through the plastic with no problem with a power drill. Just get the lip on in position and quickly drill the screw into place.

• 4 weeks later...
If you pop the plastic rivets in on either side of the bumper before you screw the screws in then you can get away with installing it solo since the rivets insure everything lines up properly and you don't need to hold it up.

• 8 months later...

Except the clips don't line up on the driver side, if pushed in place to secure the lip during installation the lip extends 1 cm past the bumper. Although if you don't use the clips during installation the lip fits the bumper.

I contacted Bayson R and spoke to Kevin, he was very polite and said he would look into the issue. After a couple days had passed I called again...eager to install my new lip that I had put off buying for 2 years.

He asked me to give him some measurements which confirmed the holes were misaligned. He then asked me to "forget about using the plastic push pin clips". He told me this was the first they had heard of this issue and that all the ones they had in stock matched my defective lip.

I asked him if they were going to remove the E-Bay listing until the manufacturing was fixed...although it's still up. He offered to allow me to ship it back (return shipping paid by them) and said it would likely take 3 months to fix the issue in manufacturing. This is quite frustrating that they still have the listing up even though they know there is an issue with every single USDM Legacy lip they have in stock.

Why they're fine with wasting people's time by selling and shipping defective products is beyond me. Very frustrating.

Side note about the clips they include...They admit that the clips they send with every lip they sell are of horrible quality and are deemed by them as "one time use clips". I literally had to cut the clips to get them out because I needed to uninstall the lip awaiting their response. I asked why they didn't have a second option on the listing to pay a few dollars more for quality clips and they said they would look into it.

Yours will likely install just fine if you have a friend to lend a hand (which I did not) and don't use the clips...mine likely just came from a bad batch, but still.

Curious to see what you find out. Is the distance between the last two big holes on either end the same?

UPDATE: I now have email confirmation from Keven at BaysonR admitting that they are aware of the fitment issues with their lips but he said his boss was "overseas" and that he would not be able to take down the listing. Essentially they're going to continue selling these to unsuspecting customers.

Also confirmed with someone that bought the lip a year ago that he/she also had fitment issues.

It just occurred to me that you have an 05-07, which is a different part than the 08-09 lip that 98legwag and myself have. So our recent purchases may not be impacted here. Regardless, I'll report back after I install my lip in the next couple weeks.

UPDATE: I now have email confirmation from Keven at BaysonR admitting that they are aware of the fitment issues with their lips but he said his boss was "overseas" and that he would not be able to take down the listing. Essentially they're going to continue selling these to unsuspecting customers.

Also confirmed with someone that bought the lip a year ago that he/she also had fitment issues.

My lip doesn't fit. It was simply too long so it bowed really far out. One I bought last year definitely fit fine for the same model car. Grrr.

Edit: I was wrong! Ignore me. 08-09 lip works just fine.

Oops. I was wrong. It was just warped so bad. I got it on!

Yeah, I had to curve mine a bit too. I left it out in the sun like the suggested so it was warm and a little softer. After that fitment is like a 8.5 out of 10. My bumper has a small dent/crease right under the tag though from the previous owner.

Archived