LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

/\ Lol, I'm surprised no one tried that before. I did run into a similar problem back when I was looking for the Cobb SF intake in the fall of 2008 though. A ton of places like the ones listed on google said they were in stock on their website, but once I ordered I got an email saying they were back-ordered. After that happened twice I called every place and asked before placing an order online.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flip, if this is low enough for you and you can actually find a set of Cobb springs out there, I suggest skipping the Tein's.

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu325/tunedlgt/1-1.jpg

(Cobb springs settled in on stock rims and 225/45-17 rubber)

"Nice ride" is very subjective. Over rough pavement I wouldn't call it comfy, but most of the time it's perfectly fine. You do need to keep your eyes open for potholes and broken pavement. On 215/45-17 tires the ride was abusive over bumps and rough pavement, but on the 225/45-17's it's significantly better and I've never hit the bump-stops. I hit the bump-stops on 215's a few times.

Cobb is very good all around but not perfect. Have had many Cobb parts on my WRX and some on my Leggy. For the cost there are equal or better options. For example. Cobb sway bars for my WRX came with crooked bushings. Cobb intake fell apart (Separated at the maf hookup). Other annoying issues with them. Not much can go wrong with springs if properly designed.

o ok well i still got the stock tires on for now so i think i should be fine. do you think cobb is a good all around brand for other parts?

Neither my Cobb intake, downpipe, or springs have ever had any issues. The accessport though . . . that was another story. :mad::spin::mad:

I've never had any issues with my Cobb intake, in fact I just cleaned+lubed the filter, looks brand new. :) . . . *sigh* As for the AP, that had some real issues. Long story short, once it married itself to my car, it refused to unmarry. And I was forced to rip my ECU out, ship the AP and ECU across the county to Utah and was out of a car for 10 days. Not a fun experience, let me tell you.

• 4 weeks later...

I havent read every page of this thread just the first few. I am running cobb springs on my 08 Spec.B with Bilstein struts. The Cobb springs are very soft and I would like a spring a little more stiff. The reason I say this is because I am running Volk Racing wheels with 245/40/18 tires. The rear fenders were rolled and I had rubbing issues on one side. Yesterday I had spacers put in on the rear strut and the tire swaped around so the scratches are gone.

If the rubbing occurs again I have two options IMO. I can get new tires (which I would rather not as the rubber as good life left), or I can get new springs. The Cobb drop is nice but eh springs are much. Does anyone know what springs I can go with that will give a nice drop but are more stiff to eliminate rubbing without going coilovers?

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

From what I've found there isn't any decent spring options for Bilsteins. I've got Bilsteins and Cobbs and had a similar problem to you with the rear sagging and feeling soft. I cut a coil off the front springs which lowered the front around 1/2 inch and the car drove much better. Now the rear doesn't sag on acceleration like it use to. I think the problem is the level of the car, not the stiffness of the springs

I would agree that looking for stiffer springs is not the way to go. Even though I didn't have rubbing issues with 225 18's in the back with swifts (probably as low or lower than Cobb) the tires sat tucked under the Fender . That was improved when I switched out to the ION HD rears that are slightly higher and stiffer and made for the heavier wagon . These springs can also be used on sedans. I had rubbing issues up front that was corrected with the taller IONS.

Have you got a photo with the swifts installed? I'm disapointed with the height of my Cobbs... even with the front cut 1/2" lower

This is how it sits now

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/EVLHSV/2010/DSCN2362.jpg

Before the "saggy butt" spacers became available, the only spring/strut combo option to get an even stance w/ a wagon was to mix and match different springs. My LGT wagon is running Bilstein HDs w/ pinks in front and JDM LGT wagon springs in back. The fender gap is an even two-finger gap front and rear.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v374/101/16/536748931/n536748931_1159186_1915.jpg

Do you have any pictures of your setup^^^ I am thinking about going the same route.

Sorry man I totally dropped the ball on this. Here is a pic when I got back from Ferrari weekend at Miller Motorsports Park (Rallitek springs on Koni's):

http://i39.tinypic.com/54brf5.jpg

I heard that saggy butt shims would be needed with this setup but over a year of driving on them and they have not really settled any lower. Very happy with the stance.

Edited by bullfrg

Before the "saggy butt" spacers became available, the only spring/strut combo option to get an even stance w/ a wagon was to mix and match different springs.

So is the "saggy butt" a wagon issue only ...

All right. Since the GB for the MSI/Eibach is done. What's the spring of choice for a DD? NYC streets and a nice 1" drop on OE shocks/struts?

DOes Jack@ION still make sport springs?

^^

Yup,

I bought some Sports for the front and HD's for the rear on my wagon. I'm running the Bilstein HD's with it as well. I like the ride.

You should call Jack and talk to him about what you are looking for...

Cheers,

Mike

^^

Yup,

I bought some Sports for the front and HD's for the rear on my wagon. I'm running the Bilstein HD's with it as well. I like the ride.

You should call Jack and talk to him about what you are looking for...

Cheers,

Mike

Stock struts and shocks.

I saw the difference in our struts and shocks, but wanted to let you know that I had just ordered some for my Bil HD.

My main suggestions was to call Jack at Ion Performance and talk with him directly about your needs.

Cheers,

Mike