LegacyGT.com

our cars apparently look too nice

I almost got carjacked tonight. I was driving into downtown Boston on Huntington Ave. - a high-traffic road which is, to my experience, very safe. It wasn't too late, maybe 9:30. Anyway, I got a green light, and I'm going through an intersection when a bunch of guys (maybe 4 or 5?) start walking out into a crosswalk. Naturally I stop so as not to run any of them over. I notice that one of them is changing his path so he's not walking across the street any more but is instead walking toward my car. The rest of them are slowly walking in front of my car. Before I know it my passenger side door is open.

I don't know if he was going to get in or pull a weapon or what because as soon as I heard it open, I dumped my clutch and away I went. I probably almost ran over one of his helpers.

I don't know if I should be happy or upset that I hadn't locked my doors. If it had been locked, he wouldn't have gotten it open, which is good. But on the other hand, it might have led him to go for any weapon he might have had on him sooner or maybe to smashing the window.

In any event, I'm glad I got away safely.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it's a weird feeling to suddenly speed away with your passenger side door blowing in the breeze.

Incidentally, the forward momentum/wind resistance against the door latched it almost immediately. It wasn't all-the-way shut, but it wasn't flopping about like a fish either.

Good call on hitting the gas and getting away. I bet a lot of car jackings could be avoided if people did that all the time, though I'm sure some are done under conditions where that's not viable.

1st rule of VIP protection driving, if you get into trouble, get out of dodge as fast as you can. The gas pedal is your friend. 3400 lb car can be a really effective weapon.

It's always a good idea to pay attention to your surroundings. Another reason why it is a bad idea to be talking on your cell phone while driving. Try to always leave half a car length between you and the car in front of you so you can make a getaway.

Try to always leave half a car length between you and the car in front of you so you can make a getaway.

That's always smart too for when someone's not paying attention and is about to rear-end you, if you notice you can maybe get out of the way.

That's a pretty scary story, you shouldn't have taken out a couple of knees, well as long as it didn't cause any damage to you car. :lol:

Yikes, on Huntington yet. ALL of my doors are ALWAYS locked when I am driving. I had a similar experiece in NJ in 1985. I TRIED to run over that AHOLE!:lol:
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Yikes, on Huntington yet. ALL of my doors are ALWAYS locked when I am driving. I had a similar experiece in NJ in 1985. I TRIED to run over that AHOLE!:lol:

is that called defensive driving? :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Guest Gitster

Well I have to say I lived in that area for the past 5 years. It used to be an AWFUL area, hookers on the corners, drugs everywhere. But that was in the 70s, it has since cleaned up and it the safest part of Boston in my opinion. I used to live on Gainsborough street at one point, which intersects with Huntington. It was voted the safest street in America a few years running, and is the only street in America with 24 hour security to this day.

I went to Northeastern, and those guys could have very well been my college buddies drunk off their ass thinking it was me . Maybe thats why they opened your door. Ill find out if it was them.

We used to cross Huntington going to Boylston street to the bars all the time. We pulled some sh1t back in the day, but would never try to hurt anyone without any pre incidences.

I would probably say that it was not an almost car jacking but just a drunk group of kids pulling some stupid sh1t. Northeastern kids are synonymous with being drunk Aholes and doing stuff like that. I apologize if it was my friends, probably not. But if one of them was a skin head with a mohawk, it probably was.

What area was it anyways???? Closer to Mission Hill ??? Bringham Circle ??? Or down by the Prudential Center ??????

is that called defensive driving? :lol: bosco
YUP! I didn't know if the guy was armed or not, but I figured that if I was trying to run him down, it would probably spoil his aim!:icon_mrgr
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I'm confused about one thing ... while I don't think this guy was trying to offer you a million dollars, why would a car jacker go to the passenger side of the car?

Was anyone approaching the driver side?

Strange

i'm glad you're alright; altho i'm sure you were shook up, you did the right thing, if you had hit one of them, oh well; as much as i hate to say that...

when it comes down to us or them---good guys vs bag guys, in the plainest terms----you gotta do what you gotta do........

I'm confused about one thing ... while I don't think this guy was trying to offer you a million dollars, why would a car jacker go to the passenger side of the car?

Was anyone approaching the driver side?

Strange

that's what I was thinking. I can only assume he was going to get in and threaten me with a weapon.

Glad you kept your situational awareness, you did the right thing. As a back up if you are frequently going to be in bad parts of town, I would try to get a concealed carry permit and take some classes someplace like Thunder Ranch. They will teach you a great deal about staying out of trouble and train you how to make it the last mistake a potential felon will ever make if they try to make you a victim.

Never mind you live in Massachusets, you have no right to defend yourself. Sorry.

Archived