LegacyGT.com

Legacy vs A4 or Infiniti G25

sheps58

Has anyone gone from an Audi to the Legacy. I have driven all three and logic tells me I should get the legacy with the 2.5 engine. I did enjoy the Infiniti and the Audi. The Suzuki Kizashi was also a nice drive.

However, with the Audi cost of ownership is a concern. My AWD vehicle now is a 1998 outback.

What are your main concerns?

Interior room isn't thsat great on the Suby (although I have an 05, maybe they got more room later). Audi had more room (but it was an A6).

Maint on an Audi without a warranty is not fun. My quattro was a garage queen (started to be at 63K miles). Expensive parts and time consuming repairs. Bad turbo, sure just yank the engine and change it, timing belt- remove front of car to change, secondary coolant pump bad- damn near remove intake manifold as it is mounted under everything. I dunno it just seemed like it was a hassle for everything on that car.

Power is decent on my 2.5 turbo, the 2.7 turbo was a pig imo. Audi heavier I'm sure but still. I don't know what each car had for power to weight ratio but my butt dyno tells me the Suby has it beat.

Gas mileage to the Suby. I get 25 mpg just about no matter how hard I drive or with AC on or off. I forget what the Audi was but it wasn't much more than 20 if that much.

Audi was a better ride and more solid (but not sporty at all).

They each have their advantages you just have to decide what is important to you.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in a 2010 Audi A4 right now and am currently shopping for something new. I love my Audi, but there are some serious issues to consider. I'm out of warranty now, so anything that goes wrong comes out of my pocket (and these things are expensive and difficult to fix). There are some design flaws (direct injected engine) that result in carbon build-up in the fuel injectors and intake valves. The dealership just tells me that I need to spend more on gas (already use premium exclusively, but they say I need a brand with detergents and additives). When the Audi is running right, there's no complaints. Sporty ride, amazing steering feedback, Quattro AWD, roomy, powerful, etc.

So now I'm researching some alternatives before the inevitable trips to the garage begin. Looking at the Subaru Legacy and Outback, Infiniti G25, Honda Accord, and Kia Optima.

Archived