LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS kit group buy...?

For those of you BP Outback owners who have been drooling over M. Schneider's installation of the JDM-only Bilstein BTS suspension kit, I am working on the possibility of initiating a group buy through a trusted vendor on this forum (i'll reveal more info. later, if there's enough interest here).

Post here if you would seriously consider committing to a group buy for the BTS kit. I'm still working with the vendor regarding cost breakdowns (more kits = less per unit cost) but i expect it to be quite a bit below the $2000 that other vendors are currently charging for the kit (i personally am not interested unless it is a good amount under $2k).

Here are a few links for reference to the BTS kit discussed elsewhere in the forum:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114243

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111880

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92260

-Branden

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This would be for the entire kit, including top hats, perches, etc?
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I am super super, 4 real interested. How interested? Well I've already ordered and have in my garage the rest of the parts needed to make this happen. With that in mind I only want the BTS-5056J package. I've been emailing Hirano-tire, NO RESPONSE! I don't want to have to end up paying $2k to Japan parts.

I've actually been emailing back and forth with AVO... trying to get them to import the kit.

Excellent - i'll try to gather solid info regarding pricing and timing.

I have not looked into getting the tophats and spring perches yet (i was mainly interested in getting the BTS kit itself here). The tophats are easy to get in the US (USDM Spec.B units) but i can look into getting the JDM spring perches if enough people are interested.

tevaburns: may i ask where you ended up getting the perches?

Will post over on subaruoutback.org, as well but feel free to spread the word anywhere you think there may be interested people. More kits = less cost!

I've taken notice over on the Bilstein.de web site where MY2003 - 2009 Legacy/Outback (BP) has an application listed for the raised ride height BP cars; both sedan (saloon) and wagon (estate). A question would be is there a difference btw our Outback (BP) model coil springs and the Germany market Outback (BP) model coils? The Germany market non raised ride height Legacy saloons and estate vehicles ride on KYB shocks and springs, that I know first hand. There is a local Subi dealer in Germany that I had visited years ago.

Here's are the deal; Bilstein.de strut/shock model numbers; B6 Sport series Inverted Mono Tube design. (this looks just like my JDM BTS kit, sans the progressive coil springs)

Front: VE3-B830 and VE3-B831 Sport. Rear: BE5-B832 Retail cost in Germany is little over 825 Euro, that said I'd speculate a street price of under 600 Euro.

Maybe a next step is to gather more info from Bilstein.de. Application etc. Maybe without saying,,,,, the BTS components can be sourced ala carte - so to speak. Someone ought to reach out to Bilstein Germany - I'm just saying.

Certainly in Germany these high end B6 Bilstein's are being fitted with the raised ride height (BP) OEM Subaru Outback coil spring; is this a permissible outcome? B6 strut/shock w/OEM coil springs Germany style.

Just a thought.

Edit: P.S., importing from Germany is waaaaay better than Japan. (my family is in Germany)

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Definitely interested.

At 76k miles, the suspension which was just "quirky" when the car was new has gotten much worse with age...worse to the point where I'm starting not to want this car any more--especially since I'll soon be faced with spending in the neighborhood of $800+ (just a guess) to replace the crappy OEM springs and struts with another crappy set of the same. I'd rather spent a little more and get some thing which addresses this awful suspension, and keep the car.

I've taken notice over on the Bilstein.de web site where MY2003 - 2009 Legacy/Outback (BP) has an application listed for the raised ride height BP cars; both sedan (saloon) and wagon (estate). A question would be is there a difference btw our Outback (BP) model coil springs and the Germany market Outback (BP) model coils? The Germany market non raised ride height Legacy saloons and estate vehicles ride on KYB shocks and springs, that I know first hand. There is a local Subi dealer in Germany that I had visited years ago.

Here's are the deal; Bilstein.de strut/shock model numbers; B6 Sport series Inverted Mono Tube design. (this looks just like my JDM BTS kit, sans the progressive coil springs)

Front: VE3-B830 and VE3-B831 Sport. Rear: BE5-B832 Retail cost in Germany is little over 825 Euro, that said I'd speculate a street price of under 600 Euro.

Maybe a next step is to gather more info from Bilstein.de. Application etc. Maybe without saying,,,,, the BTS components can be sourced ala carte - so to speak. Someone ought to reach out to Bilstein Germany - I'm just saying.

Certainly in Germany these high end B6 Bilstein's are being fitted with the raised ride height (BP) OEM Subaru Outback coil spring; is this a permissible outcome? B6 strut/shock w/OEM coil springs Germany style.

Just a thought.

Edit: P.S., importing from Germany is waaaaay better than Japan. (my family is in Germany)

MS-

Out of curiosity, is this something you're planning on following-up on through your contacts in Germany? If we could find out what changes (if any) need exist between the Germany parts and your existing parts list, it would be interesting to see if the dealership in Germany would be willing to build a "kit" for us here in the U.S.

If it helps any, I have a very good friend in Netherlands who's a die-hard "car guy" and does some reselling of BMW parts (he's in Germany a lot). He'd be willing to speak with the dealer and see if something could be worked out. I'd also trust him to arrange shipping, as well if something does come of this.

I'm just not sure what the "next steps" should be....

Thoughts?

Tim

Hey Tim, What you said + 1000000000000.

The proper Bilstein BTS suspension goes a long way in developing the OB XTs driving FUN factor. We'll keep the XT until the wheels fall off as it serves as a GREAT under the radar ski wagon. As for this family ever buying another Subaru product? NEVER.

Shame on you Subaru of America... our first 4 years of OB XT ownership was torture. But with a whole lotta import costs leading to a proper suspension fitment the OB XT has become a nice driving AWD wagon with sporty pretensions. (don't get me started with the irrational HVAC - simply a stupid, rookie marketing driven dual HVAC offering ploy. F-king stupid Subaru)

Mike

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

I'm just not sure what the "next steps" should be....

Thoughts?

Tim

Hey Tim, Nope I wasn't planning to get involved. I would asist in a small way along the line if asked. I only brought forward the Germany aspect (recent B6 shock availablity) as a "possible" alternate to the Tiffany priced JDM BTS import. Again, I'd underscore the term "possible". To be deturmined.

On second thought, fitting the fine Bilstein B6s strut/shocks with Subaru OE springs is not so attractive. Maybe though its a stop gap for some. I sure do like the comprehensive BTS

kit....

Mike

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Mike, thanks for the heads-up. I'll see if i can scrape up some info., too, on the Germany-spec stuff to see how it compares.

The comprehensive JDM kit is definitely preferred, but i'm open to options. I'm thinking that if there are uprated struts, there are likely uprated springs available in Germany, as well, but even if there aren't, it wouldn't be too hard to have a limited number of springs custom made here by a reputable spring maker.

To me, the BP Legacies are the last “real” Subarus - ones that had character and performance at a reasonable cost (i've owned 7 Subarus in the last 10 years). The suspension and HVAC woes are concessions to a marketing dept. that desires to be another Toyota (well, maybe not the troubled Toyota we see right now) and sell mass quantities of generic appliances. There is not a single Subaru in the new lineup that i would consider buying. But anyway...

I have not heard back from the potential supplier for the JDM BTS kit. I will try contacting them again Friday or Monday.

-Branden

Hey Branden, Agreed,,, there must be an uprated coil spring set available that goes along with the German market Bilstein offering B6 strut/shock availability; the OEM & Aftermarket company Eibach comes to mind and why not Bilstein Germany themselves? As in the Bilstein author'd BTS kit's... where do those springs come?

So true,,, the notion of Subaru losing their way in the market.... The "dual zone HVAC" is a good example of the classic marketing ploy gone bad if there ever was. My wife say's ..."deal with it!". Too funny.

I'll construct an email to Bilstein Germany over the weekend asking for details surrounding the B6 product Outback "BP" fitment. I'll copy you privately.

Mike

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

*cough cough*

Hey Easton ~ Ooops,,,, didn't intend to diss ya! I'll keep ya in the loop.

Mike

P.S., sourcing directly from Germany could be smooooothe sailing if ya ask me. Christ,,,, several of my renter's in Wiesbaden are in the service; USA Air Force IIRC. That being said military folk use the APO system to ship anywhere in the world on the cheap. I'd call in a favor or two.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Front: VE3-B830 and VE3-B831 Sport. Rear: BE5-B832

Hi Mike! I'm still looking for a better suspension for my car (debated trading it in for something else for a while actually). Those part numbers are the Bilstein shocks for the Legacy (will not fit the Outback, at least not without lowering, etc.).

http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make=%27SUBARU%27&model=%27Legacy%20spec%20B%27&year=%272005%27

Btw, I also have family in Germany (Bremen) :)

To the OP, yes I'm interested in a GB (at $2K - no way!).

Edited by xls

Hey Xls, good find. Maybe we have something in the Bilstein B6 series, maybe we don't. At times reading these application guides are not unlike Tea Leaves.

The attached is a Bilstein.de factory application page link.

It's here where our USA "Outback" interest lies, as shown is a Germany market Legacy "BP" application. The Outback trim/model nomenclature BP is listed as a B6 series strut/shock fitment; conflicting part numbers in both our searches not withstanding.

To borrow a Pulp Fiction line..."I've scoured the earth" for a Outback ride height hi-performance strut/shock/spring application,,,, ending at the door of Bilstein Japan; BTS 5056J kit and couldn't be happier with the kit’s results.

Maybe, just maybe Bilstein.de is now offering struts and shocks (B6 series) for the MY03 thru 09 Subaru Legacy Outback "BP". We'll see how Bilstein.de replies to my/our application query.

P.S., the Bilstein.de application link doesn't appear to migrate.(maybe a timeout) Mosey on over to www.bilstein.de navigating to the application section. Use your brower's translation feature. Should be cake.

Read the Bilstein.de application data carefully. The Bilstein B4 series struts/shock are for Legacy's without a raised ride height. The Bilstein B6 series is for the Legacy "BP" Outback fitment utilizing the OEM Outback "BP" coil springs. The Bilstein B8 series struts/shock are for applications where aftermarket lowering springs are to be fitted.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Here is a thought;

The German Bilstein’s website show's a strut/shock application for the Legacy Estate "BP" model version with a 3.0 six cylinder motor. Here's the thought.... the 3.0 motor was and is ONLY fitted in the Outback model trim within the Legacy range of vehicles.

It is my opinion.... While there is reasonable concern over Bilstein part numbers for this country and that,,,, the Bilstein.de website identifies definitively a fitment for our raised ride height Outback's. There is no doubt in my chicken-shite mind.

Which spring manufacture that is approached to boot-leg the progressive springs off of my BTS kit is an unknown. .. Fk you Bilstein USA we came to you initially and you instructed the Outback owners to "shite in your hat and fall back in it."

An email went out to Bilstein Germany for clarification. We will know soon enough.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

Thanks, Mike for going above-and-beyond here to help enlighten the rest of us Outback owners with a suspension setup that actually works decent!... I encountered the same parts number confusion that was brought up. Hopefully your email to Bilstein Germany will clear it up.

If anyone has had experience with a good JDM parts importer, please let me know and I can try checking them out.

The BTS kit is still my #1 choice but if the German struts prove to be the correct fitment, I would definitely consider those and their less-daunting importation barrier.

-Branden

Edited by rB5