LegacyGT.com

squeaking rear suspensino

Beanboy

Coming up my driveway, noticing I get a squeak out of both rear springs/suspension on the upward movement of the car after the compression from the lip of the driveway. On a fairly steep hill, haven't tried reproducing the noise with a speed bump or something. Any simple ideas where the noise may be coming from? -B

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine does also, it seems to be coming from the E brake cables. Can only hear it when the car is off.

E brake cables? Interesting. I hear it only when going over a curb/bumb slowly, like pulling into driveway.

• 2 years later...
RSB bushings! Either add zerk fittings or get a after market rear sway that has them.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I just put it on ramps and bounded the crap out of it after oiling the crap out of everything with penetrating lube. Noise appears to be from right-rear shock system somewhere nearer the wheel, perhaps the shock itself? 39K miles. Still investigating.

As soon as I hear a squeak from the front or the rear I grease my sway bar bushings. Squeaks go away every time. Usually have to grease them at least twice a year (I am aggressive about cleaning the under body so a lot of water gets sprayed on them).

Does anyone offer the swaybar brackets with grease fittings? Or do you have to remove the brackets twice a year? I have been thinking about the whiteline sways.

Does anyone offer the swaybar brackets with grease fittings? Or do you have to remove the brackets twice a year? I have been thinking about the whiteline sways.

I have Cobb sways front and rear. They came with brackets that already had zirc fittings installed. If your brackets don't have zircs you could always drill and tap them and add the zirc fittings for maintenance (its not that hard, I have done it lots of times). :)

AVO offers sway bar bushings in a few different sizes maybe they have what you need. OEM is an option too if you have stock bars. As long as the car is flat (on ramps) you should be able to safely disconnect the sways. Sometimes a little weight from the car even helps when reconnecting things.

The stock front sway bar is 21mm. The stock rear sway bar is 16mm. I'm sure you could call Paul at AVO to make sure the bushings he has will fit, but they are advertised to fit stock bars. You could do a search in the suspension forums for "bushings" there are lots of threads about this. If the AVO bushings are too expensive, many members have had success with the energy suspension bushings (brackets might need some trimming). Good luck!

I don't really want to replace these, but does anyone offer a RSB bushing only? And can this be done on a jack or ramps? I intend to safely unload the tension first, of course.

You should be able to get the stock size in the energy suspension universal bushings that include brackets. I have greasable versions for my f&r Cusco sway bars. The universal brackets fit the rear mount area just fine. I would recommend putting the car up on jacks so you can remove both rear tires. Its alot easier to get in there from the side then for access. There is no tension to release per say on the bar itself. If you go poly bushings I recommend using Jegs prothane grease that is designed for poly bushings. Its very sticky stuff and waterproof. I use it on many things.

• 1 month later...
I have the same problem on my new-to-me '05. I hear it from the right-rear mostly over bumps or rough road. I assumed it was the shock or mount because I can hear it when I bounce the rear of the car. I haven't inspected any further yet. It's pretty annoying though.

Archived