LegacyGT.com

EJ20X swap?!

Accessories and cluster might be different.. even within outbacks the year of the ecu has to match exactly ...unless I am mistaken?

Would a 2006 outback xt ecu work with a 2005 for example?

If it does that would be great news

I don't see why it'd be any different from the regular LGT '05 ecu. The engines and drive-trains are the same.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...
Keeping this thread going. I have done the swap but still running hella rich. No codes showing. Performance is ok. Idles fine etc. but strong exhaust smell. Kept the USDM Ecu, changed the exhaust cam gears and other pertinent parts. Tuner is saying he can't seem to find the cause off knock. Anyone else saw rich conditions or exhaust issues with this swap?

Well thats great... do you know of any vendors that would have one that would solve this?

Any versions/models in particular that I should be on the lookout for?

It's kind of a broad spectrum and I'm having a hard time tracking one down

Any help would be greatly appreciated

bolts

They're not that picky.

• 2 months later...
So the motor swap has been completed since Jan-14 and all in all, very happy with the EJ20x. Near the end I was scrambling to figured out the TMIC and DP situation and valleylegacy on these forums hooked me up with an HKS JDM downpipe and stock JDM TMIC to button it up. The car now has 6300 miles on it since completion and is still running stock USDM ECU without the Quad AVCS. Haven't even taken it to get emissions tested yet because I've been so busy. Used Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 with RomRaider to delete the air pump and the ECU hasn't thrown a code in months. Over the winter when I'd get on it a bit, it'd throw an O2 sensor code, but now that it's warming up, not an issue. It run strong in the mid range, around 5500 it falls on it's face, most likely due to the exhaust cam.

Can you elaborate on this air pump?

Hi Bolts, That ECU is for a Non-Turbo engine. What you are looking for is a Denso 22611AK221. They show up on eBay every once and a while. the '04 models ('05 USDM equivalent) used the same ECU for the sedan and the wagon with the 5-speed trans.

so I talked to a guy who made this swap and he told me to keep my EJ25's intake manifold, extend the o2 sensor on the downpipe and VOILA. The car is supposed to run good but I would get more power if I get a tune.

Can someone please elaborate on this?

Super... thanks

It was stated in the discussion above that the engines are not that picky as far as ECUs go... does it alll come down to that model alone or might there be other options?...

You are the 2nd person to confirm that particular ECU model... unless that's you yagga.... then you would be one and the same ;o)

Thanks again it's much appreciated..

Hi Bolts, That ECU is for a Non-Turbo engine. What you are looking for is a Denso 22611AK221. They show up on eBay every once and a while. the '04 models ('05 USDM equivalent) used the same ECU for the sedan and the wagon with the 5-speed trans.

Part of the part number is the software that is in the ECU. All you need is the right hardware and you can put the software you want to run in it.

I have a JDM ECU in a US car with Australian software. As I said before, these cars aren't terribly picky.

Long time since I lurked/posted here. Glad to see a bunch of you have taken the plunge and tackled this swap.

I'm finally back to getting to a place where I would have time/space to perform the task and get my wagon back on the road.

I've been reading through everything that has been added and I was still wondering what you guys have been doing for downpipes. Through my searching I've never found an imported ej20x/y with an unhacked dp. Moore performance can get the AVO cast TD04-hla outlet elbows, but take a minimum of 150 days to get stateside they quoted. Maybe Paul from AVO is still on here and may be able to do better. Maybe my internetting sucks more in my old age now, but I haven't been able to find the JDM HKS dp either, even knowing it will come at a high price.

Long time since I lurked/posted here. Glad to see a bunch of you have taken the plunge and tackled this swap.

I'm finally back to getting to a place where I would have time/space to perform the task and get my wagon back on the road.

I've been reading through everything that has been added and I was still wondering what you guys have been doing for downpipes. Through my searching I've never found an imported ej20x/y with an unhacked dp. Moore performance can get the AVO cast TD04-hla outlet elbows, but take a minimum of 150 days to get stateside they quoted. Maybe Paul from AVO is still on here and may be able to do better. Maybe my internetting sucks more in my old age now, but I haven't been able to find the JDM HKS dp either, even knowing it will come at a high price.

Hayward and Scott in the uk make twin scroll stuff for jdm legacy/sti among other cars. I got one from them. shipping is a bit pricey though.

Hayward and Scott in the uk make twin scroll stuff for jdm legacy/sti among other cars. I got one from them. shipping is a bit pricey though.

Thanks for that info. Looks like the link below is the right one for application but they do not list auto/manual or anything.

I sent an inquiry email to them to try to make sure I can find the correct one.

https://www.haywardandscott.com/subaru/legacy/subaru-legacy-single-turbo-de-cat-downpipe.html

I don't know anything about international shipping, but with a $271 price tag (converted from euros), I wonder if it would exceed $400. Still probably not the worst option ever!

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/182990551646?ul_noapp=true

Subaru Legacy BP5 Outback 2.0L DOHC Turbo Manual ECU 8A 22611AH111 JDM EJ20Y ECU

I got confirmation from the seller that it would work for my EJ20x

Would I still need a tune for the different turbo?

I'm using a VF38

Is the car automatic or manual? The turbo used and the engine used (20x vs 20y) makes no difference.

Edit: I’ll mention it again. The hardware in the ECU is the same for both the M/T and A/T applications. The difference is in the software. Interpret that as you see fit. There will be problems using A/T software in an M/T application though.

Edited by mondtster

It's manual

Is the car automatic or manual? The turbo used and the engine used (20x vs 20y) makes no difference.

Edit: I’ll mention it again. The hardware in the ECU is the same for both the M/T and A/T applications. The difference is in the software. Interpret that as you see fit. There will be problems using A/T software in an M/T application though.

This will work, as long as your car is a pre-facelift (2005-07)

Pre-facelift: metal ECU housing

Post-facelift: plastic ECU housing

They are wired completely differently as well, you need to stick to the engine that came from the same version since they're plug-and-play (assuming you added wiring and reprogrammed the immo)

• 2 months later...
So I’m new to this but I got an 05 lgt with ej20x swapped in but it’s not using the dual avcs... My emissions is due and I can’t pass without it How do I connect it? I’m running the stock usdm ecu and usdm sure harness

It won't pass unless you get the CELs turned off. The USDM ECU cannot run it since it was never designed for those connections (exhaust AVCS cam sensors and oil control valves). The engine will run on the USDM ECU, not that well, but it will, so as long as you turn off the CELs and put some miles on it after it should pass.