LegacyGT.com

Turbo Inlets

Which Turbo Inlet Is Best for '07 LGT/OBXT?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which Turbo Inlet Is Best for '07 LGT/OBXT?

• Perrin
    • AVO
    • Mishimoto
    • Cobb
    • Tomioka
    • Gimmick Motorsports

I'd avoid the AVO. It's a nice part, but it's huge, so it's a serious pain to install. I have some slight low-load MAF scaling weirdness after I put the AVO turbo inlet on the car.

Really wish I had just gone with a stock-sized silicone part.

A lot of people like the Perrin, but I HATED it in my '05. TERRIBLE fitment, even though I got an '07-'09 bypass hose. I returned it and replaced with stock. People love to badmouth the stock inlet, but it's cheap, it fits, and it's a breeze to install compared to aftermarket.

I can tell you that the guys at Cobb Surgeline here in Portland pulled me aside when making that choice and discreetly informed me that they don't like the Cobb unit. Apparently one of the few pieces that was outsourced for design/manufacturing. They recommend Perrin. The stocker is cheap to be sure but you will likely tear it if you ever need to pull it off and re-install it

If your on a 05-06 avoid Mishimoto, or any 07+ inlet. The BOV hose is up more, making it real hard stretch the BOV hose to it.

I personally am running a Perrin STI one, was easy to install, just had to move some hoses around.

Stock, fitment can't be beat.

Stock flow can be beat :lol:.

I was gonna test the stock one's flow restriction, but a local member destroyed mine while trying to install it, show's you how good of quality stock ones are :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Shocked no one has had a professional flow test done on them. I was lead to believe the flow improvement was so marginal I really did not feel validation for spending an extra $120-$200 on top of OE.

Cheapest OE is Heuberger Subaru in CO. Call and talk to Brian in parts, email, or just enter your VIN for correct part. If you enter your VIN at the end Brian ALWAYS makes sure it fits your year model; he even called me when I ordered my intake stuff and got some super coolant... told me I should use the green coolant per year unless it has been changed. For me it has been changed to super coolant so it was alright, but I appreciate the extra work he does! Only pickle is shipment takes a while to go from CO to NY..

I can tell you that the guys at Cobb Surgeline here in Portland pulled me aside when making that choice and discreetly informed me that they don't like the Cobb unit. Apparently one of the few pieces that was outsourced for design/manufacturing. They recommend Perrin. The stocker is cheap to be sure but you will likely tear it if you ever need to pull it off and re-install it

My tuner in the Bay Area, GST, also recommended the Perrin. I think he also liked the AVO but I have an aversion to AVO so that wasn’t happening.

Shocked no one has had a professional flow test done on them. I was lead to believe the flow improvement was so marginal I really did not feel validation for spending an extra $120-$200 on top of OE.

Would be pretty cool to see, but would cost too much for us average Joes. Though if GrimmSpeed ever comes up with one they probably will have a nice simulated flow test to compare against.

I was going to use my manometer to test the amount of restriction at various points. Heck I still might with my ripped one (just need to duct tape it together :lol:)

22 Ascent STOCK

Been there done that. Just stay stock as any aftermarket are a compromise with fitment for 05/06 MY. They can go in and out without taking the intake off. Take your time and pictures to remember where needed for reassembly. After that it's a breeze.

do you have power goals for your car? that might impact your decision.

some say really high HP turbos work better with hard inlets (silicone inlets can collapse at peak CFM on high HP builds).

Are you contemplating ever doing top feed conversion or TGV deletes? then you'll need to take off the intake manifold which makes inlet install easier.

FWIW, I have the perrin, its giant, a pain to install, you have to convert some vacuum hose sizes. Even having done it once before it took at least 1.5-2 hours. A silicon BPV hose helped the fit. still a super PITA.

If you search around there are a couple install walkthroughs, a good trick is to use string or a couple zip ties around the part of the inlet that articulates with the turbo to lift it up onto the turbo once its all the way back in there.

Mostly, aftermarket intakes are engine bling.

I called HuebergerSubaruParts today. Brian kicked a$$ and got the part out same day. FWIW he says that visually the 2 parts (14460AA220 and 14460AA290) are nearly identical upon quick inspection.

I wouldn't exactly call it a power goal but I'd like to keep this car running well for as far as she'll go. This is the first car I've ever owned that is adequately fast from the factory save tuning... so long as it runs. OEM replacement will be good enough for now as finding a perfect oem silicone replica doesn't seem a likely prospect. Now wish me luck everyone and merry Christmas to you all!

Probably the best call. See if your local Napa or such has some silicon hose to replace some vacuum lines if they seem suspect. Tie-wrap every single connection no matter how solid the seal seems. Replace the Blue T! Good luck.

Do you feel the big companies would actually flow test it or just design them in CAD and flow test in there?

At this point I would be happy to even see CAD flow tests. Right now most are working by theory, which is not necessarily wrong, there are universal truths when it comes to flow. I learned a lot about flow importance from dealing with my house's duct work, I've been applying some of those designs (like flow stacks) to my intakes for years.

Probably the best call. See if your local Napa or such has some silicon hose to replace some vacuum lines if they seem suspect. Tie-wrap every single connection no matter how solid the seal seems. Replace the Blue T! Good luck.

Can't stress this enough, with how old and brittle our hoses are getting, they tend to pop off very often. I'm getting to the point where even zip-ties are not good enough on my car, so replacing vacuum hoses one by one.

22 Ascent STOCK

Main thing is have a few ID options in garage stock. Found that some of the Free Range bulk hoses don't like to come off, they will rip.

Now of course the OEM are nice being form fitted and normally lasting more than 100K. Down side is cost and having them in hand when needed.

Archived