LegacyGT.com

Squeal with Cold Start

if its the sound you hear other cars making when they start I agree with the others.

however if its different, you may have something else. I have sort of a squeal when I cold start my car but it sounds like a bearing going out and not a belt.

the belt squeal sounds like a tiny car spinning tires. :lol: (best way I could think of it.) is that what you're hearing?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I have a squeal. It is diffinetly not the belts. It comes from my clutch, whenever I start my car in the morning if it has been sitting for awhilel, as soon as I let the clutch out in neutral, it starts to squeal. I am going to post a questino about this. If you are having the same problem please find my thread.

I have a squeal. It is diffinetly not the belts. It comes from my clutch, whenever I start my car in the morning if it has been sitting for awhilel, as soon as I let the clutch out in neutral, it starts to squeal. I am going to post a questino about this. If you are having the same problem please find my thread.

I've also heard this from my car a couple of times (really really cold day, like -10 f). I think I remember reading it is a clutch bearing squealing. It stops as soon as let the clutch in and out. Haven't talked to dealer about it.

I have an AT so.. its not the clutch here. At least not the transmission clutch. I suspect the a/c compressor or a belt tensioner or something like that.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

The alternator doubles as a tensioner, and it's on top of the engine. You will need some metric-sized sockets to loose the two screws that's in the traveling direction of the car that holds the alternator, circled with red in pictures below (only two turns or so) and then there is a third vertical screw which is used to adjust the tension, circled in green. Turn it one half to one turn in the direction that makes the belt tighten (it should be clockwise).

Too much tension puts unnecessary strain on bearings and the belt, but a turn on the tensionin adjustment screw will not cause much problems.

Tighten the two screws holding the alternator again.

Since the alternator is on top of the engine this is on a level where you don't even have to worry about your knuckles.

And while you are at it - check the belt for damage and cracks. If it shows some small cracks it may be a good idea to plan to replace it.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Instruction/DSC_2883.JPG

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Instruction/DSC_2885.JPG

453747.png

I've had this noise when I start mine in the morning. Replaced the belts and still get it

Likely culprit is one of your accessories then causing too much drag for the belt to pull, if you are certain the tension is correct. Also could be some contamination/fluid has gotten on the pullies causing the belt to slip. Before your belt gets worn/shredded I would get it diagnosed and repaired. Good luck.

you mean we dont have a spring loaded separate belt tensioner?

thats kind of surprising. that seems very.. 1960s of them..

Not really - because if it works reliable it isn't stupid.

A spring loaded tensioner has a tendency to always provide the wrong tension regardless of what you do.

453747.png

Pardon my ignorance, but why do I have to loosen the bolts holding the alternator on? Also, is it difficult to get to the other red circled bolt, theone that appears to be underneath; seems tight in there? I havent yet taken the time to look under the hood.

Thanks again.

The one underneath is accessible from the front using a socket and an extender. It was just too dark when I took the photo to provide a reliable picture.

You need to loosen those because otherwise you won't be able to move the alternator with the adjustment screw. If you look under the hood I think it will get a bit clearer.

And I think that sockets are the best option, this will make it a lot easier. It's easy to damage the heads of the screws otherwise. Make sure you have metric sockets.

453747.png

• 4 years later...
you mean we dont have a spring loaded separate belt tensioner?

thats kind of surprising. that seems very.. 1960s of them..

Almost every other (major) manufacturer uses a spring-loaded tensioner. Know how much those cost to replace? Retail is anywhere from $80-200 depending on application, and god help you if it's a European car.

But then again, almost everything was cheaper in the '60s, so I guess your analogy holds true :)

Occam's razor suggests that perhaps the OP simply needs to tighten his belt, although I have a hard time believing there's an entire thread devoted to this question.

I sometimes get the cold start squeal, lasting only a second or two. I replaced the alternator belt with a new OE belt, adjusted the tension to factory specs, but still get the occasional squeal.

Also: a belt is a belt. Paying more for "OE" is not going to make a difference.

another cold startup noise contributor can be the starter sticking and not retracting for a second or two. makes more of a whirring grinding noise though.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Archived