LegacyGT.com

2005 headlight circuit not working

last nite i was down town for the evening with my 05 outback. It was dark when i finally headed back home, and my headlights were not working#$%! :spin:i check both fuse boxes, under the dash, and under the hood, and everything was clean. The funny part is my low beams, high beams, and driving lights were all out. When i turn on the lights , the dash dims, but no lights. All other electrical on the car works. Does anyone know if there is a master fuse or relay that controls the lighting circuit on an stock 05 outback xt? Matt Bochsler

Hi there I am having truble with my HID's also one went out and in the troubleshooting I replaced the balast...:) thinking it was that; I also tried checking both fuse boxes, even went to the dealership to ask them witch where the fuses for the L/B. Under the hood you will find the main fuse box open the top and to the left you will see two black square relays on the bottom of the fuse box cap there is a diagram...those 2 control the R and L headlight's if onlly one side is the culprit then swap them and c if they come on if that dose happen that just buy the raly from your dealership it runs around $35 to $40. The L/B fuses are the 2 15amp right next to those 2 relays check those 2 also....

Good luck!!!!!

The left and right low beam lights are on separate circuits so it is doubtful that it is a fuse. Being that you don't get any lights, I'd start with either the stalk or the BIU. Most likely you will need to take this to a dealer to have ti diagnosed with an SSM.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

and both headlight bulbs burned out within a day or two of each other. I would replace the bulbs first unless you have already done that. The headlight bulbs for the 05 had a tendency to burn out early. If it is the bulb I am surprised that they lasted that long.

Ron

Archived