LegacyGT.com

Survey: How many people on the board own an OB?

Guest *Jedimaster*

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, my 2005 2.5i Ltd had 84K miles as of a few months ago, but I was smelling burning oil at every stop and it was running kind of uneven. Brought it in and apparently the head gasket had blown in spectacular fashion - there was oil all over the place, including my (original) timing belt.

Considered all the things to repair and replace vs. buying and decided that - with all other things in the car being in very good condition this time - this first, major service was still most cost-effective if we assumed I kept the car another couple of years or so.

$2100 later (i.e., among other things, we even replaced the water pump as a preventative measure) and it's feeling like the solid Outback of old, though there was a whiff of oil on warmer days last week when stopping, indicating there's more to wash off (my guess).

Is there a recommended way to wash an engine compartment, possibly?

- wader

• 2 weeks later...

05 OBXT Limited just new to me in January of this year. 72k and 5mt.

Hopefully the service records are true and the little work done before I bought it was done properly.

Took it to have it inspected shortly after buying it and was told it's one of the cleanest well kept the mechanic has seen in quite awhile

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2008 Outback 2.5i

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/boxerwerks/2008%20Outback%2025i/IMG_20140305_112105_zpsmhe6a8pt.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag47/boxerwerks/2008%20Outback%2025i/Winter%20Mode/IMG_20150206_104910_zpsit9cwzd4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...