LegacyGT.com

05 LGT 5sp Wagon with 86k

OneJay

Hey all,

Thinking about getting an 05 LGT Wagon as my first Subaru. I was originally looking into Forester XT's, but the 06-08's are pretty expsensive compared to the 05 Legacy Wagons, although the Legacy was pretty hard to find with a stick.

The one I'm looking at has 86k, and it bone stock besides a short shifter. It has a clean blk/tan leather interior, and it's dark blue (RBP I think). The front and rear bumpers are pretty beat up, and there are a few small scuffs and paint chips on a couple doors and a fender, but other than that, it's mechanically in good shape (verified by inspection at Subaru dealer). He was orgininally asking $12,750, but immediately came down to $11,500 when i asked about the condition of the bumpers. I'll probably make him an offer of around $10,500, which is around $200 higher than Edmunds rates the car in "Outstanding" condition.

I understand how rare they are, which is why I'm willing to pay a little more, but do you guys this this is a fair price considering the mileage, and condition of the exterior?

Also, are there any issues I should be worried about with a car with this many miles? The 90k service has not been done, so that is one thing I will have to do. Other than that, anything else?

Thanks!

Edmund's used car pricing guide is completely useless in today's used car market. Their prices are waaaaaaay too low for what the market will realistically bear. Look at AutoTrader and eBay to see what similar cars are selling for in your area to get a better idea of values.

It looks like LGT Wagons with similar mileage go for around his asking price, but don't require any repairs. IMO, his asking price of 12,750 was too high, and although 11.5k is more reasonable, the car is still going to need a bit of work.

There is one in the classifieds right now in the same color, and with new tires, brakes clutch and more, but 19k more miles, for around the same price. I would rather find a local deal though.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-ny-2005-subaru-legacy-gt-limited-mt-184996.html

Whoops! My mistake! Anywho, everything else on the wagon checked out, and I managed to get it for $10.6k, but it still needs a bit of work. Front and rear bumpers need to be fixed, as well as some of the more noticeable dings.

Are there any vendors on here, or good online sources for replacement bumpers? It would be nice to get some already painted, but I'd just like to know what options are out there.

Thanks!

Look at the sticky on the top of the 4th forum, they only made like 1446 of these cars.

Welcome to the club.

There are also vendor links on the top of the page.

Try the 25% off link.

You may want to have a body shop paint the new bumpers, so they can match the fade in the paint.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You got yourself 1 of the 87 in that color combo. Nice buy! If you're going to replace the entire bumpers, you might want to consider trying to find JDM versions that are shorter and much better looking.

Thanks for the welcome guys. The JDM bumpers would be a cool choice. Are they easy to find? The one thing that worries me is that the bumpers would bump me out of stock class for autox.

Thanks for the welcome guys. The JDM bumpers would be a cool choice. Are they easy to find? The one thing that worries me is that the bumpers would bump me out of stock class for autox.

Congrats on RBP Wagon ! JDM bumpers may not be hard to find but I think they are rather pricey. I don't think autox rules say anything about bumpers; as long as car has them you should be fine :)

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Congrats on RBP Wagon ! JDM bumpers may not be hard to find but I think they are rather pricey. I don't think autox rules say anything about bumpers; as long as car has them you should be fine :)

Cool I'll look into those too then. I just re-read the rules, and I think as long as I'm not racing at the national level, I'll be fine. Hopefully I can find some at a good price!

Nice find! This is the one in around Denver right?

Yep this one was in Denver on autotrader.

Congrats on the purchase. Just got an 05 wagon myself last month and have loved it so far.

Thanks for the welcome! I'm super excited! Seems like everyone loves their LGT's.

First thing on the list will be the banjo bolt filter removal, then maybe a catless up-pipe, and a cat-back exhaust. Probably 07+ UP and I've been looking at maybe the FMS exhaust, since it seems like good quality, and it's pretty cheap. Anyone have any input, or know if I'll need a tune?

Thanks!

You'll need a tune for the DP and cat back.

You can start a thread in the 4th gen forum with your questions or look in the tuning forum.

I can give you the name of my Tuner if you'd like.

But there are things you need to decide first, Cobb AP or open source tune, do you have laptop and are you good with a computer ?

I let my Tuner adjust my car. I have read to many stories about open source tune's and people doing all kinds of data logging and adjustments...or waiting for at email with the next map for the better tune.

I'm lucky, my Tuner lives 15 minutes from me, I'm meeting him at his house Sunday, so he can data log my new short block and ported heads and make any adjustments if needed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone! I can tell I'm going to like it here. I've already been doing a lot of reading.

Mr. Capacity, I'm actually going to leave the down pipe stock, but planning on replacing the up pipe with a factory catless unit. Any idea if I would need a tune after the up pipe, or only with the down pipe? A tune is in the future for sure, but I would just like to know if I'll need one right away.

Also, if I go with an accessport, or something like that, are the base maps they provide just fine, or would a pro tune be better/safer?

Thanks!

Archived