LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy Wheel Detail Question (Polishing)

Nick1657615219

The wheels on my 2008 LGT have gotten some light scratches and scuffs from over the years. None of them seem very thick so I figured I could take my Porter Cable and polish them up. I do not however want to use anything overly aggressive so I wanted to ask about the finish on the wheels. Do these wheels have clear coat on them and if so, how thick is it? Will an Orange pad with some Menzerna Super finish eat right through any paint or clear? Should I go with something with less cut like a White Pad and some Menzerna Super Intense Polish?

This is not my actual wheel, but this is the style of wheel that I have. I can take pictures of my wheels later tonight if you guys need.

Thanks

http://www.finishlinewheels.com/prodimg/ALY68757U.jpg

I have that same wheel on my '08. A few weeks after I got the car new, I drifted into a median and scraped the front left wheel. Today, 86,000 mile later, it looks just like it did the day this happened. There is a scuff, but it has not rusted or deteriorated. I regularly clean and wax the wheels. It can not be seen unless the car is parked and you bend over to look at it.

Unless you are a dedicated perfectionist, I wouldn't worry about it. I have used far more aggressive cleaning and polishing techniques than you are suggesting with no problem.

I have that same wheel on my '08. A few weeks after I got the car new, I drifted into a median and scraped the front left wheel. Today, 86,000 mile later, it looks just like it did the day this happened. There is a scuff, but it has not rusted or deteriorated. I regularly clean and wax the wheels. It can not be seen unless the car is parked and you bend over to look at it.

Unless you are a dedicated perfectionist, I wouldn't worry about it. I have used far more aggressive cleaning and polishing techniques than you are suggesting with no problem.

That's the thing, I am a dedicated perfectionist; or at least I try to be. Snows are on the car now so the summer wheels/tires are off. Any chance I get to break out the PC and do some polishing, I am game.

There was a thread posted about the time I bought my car in June of '08 that documented the repair of a scuffed wheel, complete with a paint code to match our silver. I can't find it, but I know it can be done with a bit of sand paper and paint.

Archived