LegacyGT.com

American vs Canadian 2007 Legacy GT

Tam2007

Hello all,

I live in Canada but purchased my 2007 Subaru Legacy GT back in 2007 from the states. I paid a lot less but I think I got a lot more car. I don't know the exact differences but I would like to try and compare my 2007 GT limited to the equivalent car in Canada.

Purchase Price

USA: I think the purchase price was $28,995 which was fully loaded.

Canada: Started around $38,000. not fully loaded

Fog lights

USA: Included

Canada: Around an extra $300 (not sure if this is true)

PDI & Freight

USA: $695

Canada: $1,525

Air Tax

USA: Don't think there is one

Canada: $100

GST

USA: Taxes depend on the state

Canada: Taxes depend on the province but everyone pays GST. It would work out to about $2000. Some provinces pay PST also, another 5-8% or another $2000 to $3000 on top of GST

Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)

Canada: not included and not an option

Leather

Canada: I could be wrong on this one, but I think it is an option

Seats

USA: Power driver's and passenger side

Canada: Power drivers, not sure about passenger

Sunroof

Canada: Could be wrong again, might be an option

SI Drive

Canada: I've seen 07 GT's without it. Not sure if it was an option or not available

Heated seats

USA: 4 stage heated seats

Canada: 2 stage (low or high). Might be an option to have 4 stage.

Side mirrors

USA: Painted same as body

Canada: Plastic, flat black, no paint.

Tires

USA: The dealership I bought the car from offered tires for life

Canada: Never heard of such a thing.

I'd love to get more comparisons if anyone owns a Canadian GT or if they work at a dealership and know the differences.

When I brought my US car to a mechanic that specializes in Subaru he also said that my car had iridium spark plugs and he said he didn't see them in Canadian GT's. He also said that the US GT is closer to our Canadian Spec B, but I doubt that.

you know..the cars are made in the US.

the SI drive is standard on 07+models.so if you see that it doesn't have it, it's not 07+ - you are being lied to

leather is an option or package (deal) so are foglights, sunroof.

side mirrors on low model cars are usually black and not the body colour.

not sure about the seat heaters, mine are 4 stage

a spec b is a spec b and not GT.

the thing about the features is that there are different models. for the canadian GT, that's probably the base model and the US is probably an upgraded package - not sure if it would be the highest model/besides spec b. that's why there's so much difference in the 2 cars being compared. i think with the canadian market, there are a lot of models/packages to suit peoples' financial situation...but i could be wrong about that too

when i bought my car, the GT was almost 42k. well for a few thousand dollars more - around 45k, i went with the spec b. if i bought my car from the US, i would have saved myself 10 grand just on the purchase price. but i traded in 2 cars.

side mirrors on low model cars are usually black and not the body colour.

Just as a side note, if you check out the NA thread with people posting their cars, a lot of them have body coloured side mirrors, though there are a few with black ones. But it seems to be that majority of cars have body coloured ones.

As far as I can tell, my car is the base model, and it has coloured mirrors. Also on cars101.com they say that it is standard on the 2.5i, I guess it depends on the market the car was from? or maybe they did an initial run with black ones, and then switched to body coloured ones.

Agreed, the spec b is the spec b. I think the mechanic was on crack.

But for things like the SI drive I'm curious if there are Canadian 07+ models that don't have it. I went to the car show here in 09. They brought a lot of their new models to the show and a lot of them didn't have the SI drive. Just large heat dials for the heated seats instead. Maybe it was some special model that didn't have it for the car show? When I didn't see the SI Drive I wondered why the hell did they bring 05 or older cars to a car show?? Anyways, they were listed at 09 models and they didn't have the SI drive.

Good to know that the leather, fog lights and sunroof were an option. I wasn't sure.

When I was buying my car, i asked if it came with Leather, fog lights, and a sunroof and the salesman asked if i was crazy. He said it was standard on all their cars. It was a surprise because I didn't think it was standard.

I'd buy a car from the states again. As long as you can manage financing somehow. Most places will not give you a loan for a car that isn't already registered in Canada.

or maybe they did an initial run with black ones, and then switched to body coloured ones.

The reason I listed that as a difference (not sure if it is a Canada vs USA difference only) is because i went to the dealership a few months ago and they had a lot of 09 and older models on the lot. Most of them had unpainted black side mirrors. I hadn't noticed the difference before, but it definitly looked a lot cheaper.

Archived