LegacyGT.com

is it always AWD???

When you turn on your ignition, I noticed the orange AWD light along with all other lights. Does that mean the car is not going in AWD on the road until that AWD light turns on?? Or the light means the AWD is malfunctioning?

Also, is it okay to turn corners hard and have fun with the car?:p Ive read that these cars are great road handlers, so I just wanted to make sure about all these things before I have fun turning corners.

If you have the Auto Transmission, which I'm assuming you do, the AWD light is there to inform you of a problem should one occur. There is also a fuse that can be inserted into a certain slot in the engine compartment fuse box to disable the AWD system. Then the light would come on also.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Don't know about it being always awd, but I sure believe it is. As mentioned, don't do parking brake stuff...i think i read somewhere it'll ruin your differential. It's handling is very responsive, IMO. Saved my life a few times, literally. Just do it responsibly. You'll have a blast

always awd unless its broken. the auto is primarily fwd but will send power to the rear wheels as needed. do some more searching on here to find out more. have fun, just dont try to do parking brake slides

45/55 front-rear split for the automatic. That is more rwd than fwd...

I like sliding the rear end around corners to keep proving that to myself :eek::icon_chee

The 5EAT and 4EAT have different AWD systems. The 2.5i gets the lesser 4EAT which is primarly front wheel drive untill it senses slip then it send power rearwards.

4EAT = 90/10

5EAT = 45/55

5MT = 50/50

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Define "our"...
06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I believe the 44/55 split is only for the turbo. I think the 2.5i's (automatics) have a 90/10 split, making it seem like much more of a front-driver.

sorry meier motor sports, I wasn't paying attention to where this was posted and which model the OP had. You were 100% correct!:rolleyes:

If you have the Auto Transmission, which I'm assuming you do, the AWD light is there to inform you of a problem should one occur. There is also a fuse that can be inserted into a certain slot in the engine compartment fuse box to disable the AWD system. Then the light would come on also.

I didnt think that they did the AWD fuse thing anymore.

Yeah on the 4eat only. Its pretty cool I used it when my tire went flat in my driveway and I had to turn the car around so I could change it out. Probably didn't need to but the car was new and I was an AWD virgin so I was paranoid :)

Archived