LegacyGT.com

Q. for Spec B owners ('07 at least, maybe '06-ers)

Fantastipotamus

Afternoon everyone, I'm new here, and am considering a Spec B.

I currently drive an '05 Obsidian Black WRX STi, and have had it for about 2.5 years or so, and of late, have been having problems with the rear strut clunk problem, which is pretty well known and documented.

Basically, due to the struts being inverted, the bushings inside the struts themselves tend to wear out due to lack of lubrication. The end result of this is a 'clunk' during low-speed turns and gradual decelleration. So far, I've had the driver side and passenger side both replaced once, and the dealership has another strut on order for me to replace the driver side AGAIN.

SoA, being the customer-satisfaction oriented organization that they are, have decided to take an 'Eh, eff-it' attitude towards this design flaw, and after warranty, it becomes the owners problem to rectify. Groovy. So, I'm looking at replacing my rear suspension every 10-15k miles (it depends on many factors how quickly they go), or buying coilovers/replacement struts. At this point, I'm still waffling over spending ~$2500-3000 for coilovers, which will generally decrease the ride quality, spend $500/strut after installation regularly, or trade in for a Spec B or LGT Limited.

Now, it should be noted that I'm pretty pissed about this whole debacle, and SoA's (and Subaru in general, as it's a global problem for the STi's, as I understand it) way of handling it. I don't track or race/auto-x my car, and I expect my struts to last longer than 15k miles.

'So why, Fantastipotamus, are you considering spending your money on another Subaru if you hate the company so much?' you might be asking? Well, simply put, the LGT and the Spec B are just too damn attractive, and combine too many things that I like/need in a car. AWD (hello NH winters, and yes, I'd be getting 17 inch wheels for my snowtires pretty much right away), and more interior room than my Impreza (I'm 6'-3), while still being respectably quick, and more refined than my STi.

SO.. the actual question. The '07's at least (I'm not sure about the '06's, confirm/deny?) incorporate inverted struts in the front. They're made by Bilstein, who did not make the STi ones (I don't recall the manufacturer offhand), which is a glimmer of hope, but I'm still wary. Have ANY Spec B owners had ANY sort of 'clunk' type noises from the front end which haven't been explained (within reason)? Initially, the problem would be a slightly-hollow sounding 'clunk' noise, during low speed manuvers. At more advanced stages of wear will result in a binding of the strut itself, and may be less evident in the front than in the rear of my STi. It will feel like the car hangs for a second before returning to it's normal ride height. In REALLY advanced stages, the car will sit lower on the affected corner than the rest.

At this point, it has not been found to be a safety issue (hence the no recall and no actively trying to fix the issue), so if you have the clunk, and you're out of warranty, it's not going to kill your family/dog/PS3, but please let me know if anyone has had this problem, as this may be the clinching factor for me.Anyways, here's a picture of my STi, which I love to death. :)http://fantastipotamus.go-dedicated.com/STi/Summer06/PICT0700-2.JPG</p>

edit: Fixed the gigantic block of text. And the spacing ;)

Afternoon everyone, I'm new here, and am considering a Spec B.

I currently drive an '05 Obsidian Black WRX STi, and have had it for about 2.5 years or so, and of late, have been having problems with the rear strut clunk problem, which is pretty well known and documented.

Basically, due to the struts being inverted, the bushings inside the struts themselves tend to wear out due to lack of lubrication. The end result of this is a 'clunk' during low-speed turns and gradual decelleration. So far, I've had the driver side and passenger side both replaced once, and the dealership has another strut on order for me to replace the driver side AGAIN.

SoA, being the customer-satisfaction oriented organization that they are, have decided to take an 'Eh, eff-it' attitude towards this design flaw, and after warranty, it becomes the owners problem to rectify. Groovy. So, I'm looking at replacing my rear suspension every 10-15k miles (it depends on many factors how quickly they go), or buying coilovers/replacement struts. At this point, I'm still waffling over spending ~$2500-3000 for coilovers, which will generally decrease the ride quality, spend $500/strut after installation regularly, or trade in for a Spec B or LGT Limited.

Now, it should be noted that I'm pretty pissed about this whole debacle, and SoA's (and Subaru in general, as it's a global problem for the STi's, as I understand it) way of handling it. I don't track or race/auto-x my car, and I expect my struts to last longer than 15k miles.

'So why, Fantastipotamus, are you considering spending your money on another Subaru if you hate the company so much?' you might be asking? Well, simply put, the LGT and the Spec B are just too damn attractive, and combine too many things that I like/need in a car. AWD (hello NH winters, and yes, I'd be getting 17 inch wheels for my snowtires pretty much right away), and more interior room than my Impreza (I'm 6'-3), while still being respectably quick, and more refined than my STi.

SO.. the actual question. The '07's at least (I'm not sure about the '06's, confirm/deny?) incorporate inverted struts in the front. They're made by Bilstein, who did not make the STi ones (I don't recall the manufacturer offhand), which is a glimmer of hope, but I'm still wary.Have ANY Spec B owners had ANY sort of 'clunk' type noises from the front end which haven't been explained (within reason)? Initially, the problem would be a slightly-hollow sounding 'clunk' noise, during low speed manuvers. At more advanced stages of wear will result in a binding of the strut itself, and may be less evident in the front than in the rear of my STi. It will feel like the car hangs for a second before returning to it's normal ride height. In REALLY advanced stages, the car will sit lower on the affected corner than the rest.

At this point, it has not been found to be a safety issue (hence the no recall and no actively trying to fix the issue), so if you have the clunk, and you're out of warranty, it's not going to kill your family/dog/PS3, but please let me know if anyone has had this problem, as this may be the clinching factor for me.Anyways, here's a picture of my STi, which I love to death. :)http://fantastipotamus.go-dedicated.com/STi/Summer06/PICT0700-2.JPG</p>

edit: Fixed the gigantic block of text.

edit the spacing too!

It's too soon to really tell if there are suspension problems. The 07 Spec B has been out for 2 months if even that?

Get the Spec B and be happy :)

I don't remember any threads on this board about clunky stock struts on the new gen Legacy GT's... sedans or wagons, and I don't think there's been complaints with the SpecB Bilstein suspensions, only praises.

This board has been going since '04 and there are a ton of '05 owners actively involved here, and lots of Spec B owners too.

edit the spacing too!

It's too soon to really tell if there are suspension problems. The 07 Spec B has been out for 2 months if even that?

Get the Spec B and be happy :)

Fixed the spacing too.. I'm not used to boards that use HTML :).

What I'm trying to avoid though, is just blindly jumping into another situation which may be as potentially frustrating as the one I'm trying to get out of, you know? Did the '06 Spec B's use the same front suspension, do you know? They'd have enough miles (most likely) for this problem to have surfaced. But damn, the Spec B is a beautiful ride. :)

edit:

I don't remember any threads on this board about clunky stock struts on the new gen Legacy GT's... sedans or wagons.

This board has been going since '04 and there are a ton of '05 owners actively involved here.

Well, to the best of my knowledge, the LGT's don't utilize the inverted struts, the only one which I know does is the '07 Spec B's, but I'm not sure about the '06 B's.

Also, please let me know if you're still seeing the wonky text, I tried to break it up a bit, but my html is rusty.

thats a nice STI...

no problem with my 06 Spec (same suspension as the 07')..but then again, I only have 3000 miles on it..

Good news so far then. :) I certainly don't want to make you paranoid about it, it's more me who's paranoid about getting back into another situation like this.

Maybe some higher-mileage '06 Spec B's will report in... Glad no one can recall any topics about it though, always a good sign.

the STi struts are made by kayaba (KYB). I haven't had any clunk issues in 3.5 years and ~32k miles, but know it's a common problem.

another option for you is to go with koni inserts on wrx struts for the STi. get the group N top hats and you should have better ride and performance on tarmac. the inverted design was meant to increase side load performance on gravel.

good luck :)

the STi struts are made by kayaba (KYB). I haven't had any clunk issues in 3.5 years and ~37k miles, but know it's a common problem.

another option for you is to go with koni inserts on wrx struts for the STi. get the group N top hats and you should have better ride and performance on tarmac. the inverted design was meant to increase side load performance on gravel.

good luck :)

If my research on NASIOC is correct, the '05 suspension both 1) wont take Koni inserts and 2) isn't compatible with the '04 suspension parts which will take the Koni's (at least not without cutting/drilling).

I am glad you haven't had a problem.. one of the lucky ones. :)

Spec B, to my knowledge it does affect the '06's as well, there are a few posts in the 40+ page thread on NASIOC from '06 owners with problems. Sorry. :(

Also, thanks for the replies so far, I may go talk to the Subaru dealership sometime soon. I think the specific car is in the registry thread. I seem to recall it being in the ~418 range or so, the one from Manchester, NH.

Archived