LegacyGT.com

what did you hicksta today ?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like how many times have I had to pull my tranny a second time to fix another issue...I think I'm at 3 times now.

Yep, 3 extra times.

Timing belt took me 3 hours and a lunch break before I figured out to lift the belt over the lower pulley by #1 cylinder, last.

don't get me going...

Oh, it took me a couple hours to figure out to jack up the rear of the car to get the input shaft to line up in the clutch and pilot bearing when I put the engine back in the car. I pulled the engine back out and adjusted it a few times before I figured that one out.

Oh, the right front hub, installed a Moog, drove the car, CEL came on, used my trusted mechanics in car tester to measure wheel speed. put old bearing back in. Car drove fine, no CEL. Called dealer, went and picked up a OEM hub, swapped it in, been fine ever since.

next

Pulled the rear diff, after pulling the tranny to find out it was not the cause of the noise. When I installed the new rear diff, I couldn't get the fill plug out. Some body buried the threads on the plug. I had to drop the diff, take the cover off my old diff and swap them.

When I put the tranny back in to pull the diff...I learned about the TOB fork falling off the pivot ball, I had the tranny 95% removed, the second time before I figured that might be the issue. Finished pulling the tranny anyway's and had my buddy verify it was ok. that was the summer of 2011

I think thats all...;)

Heres more, summer 2013, took the tranny out two times before we found the mainshaft finally broke all the way, seems it broke about 3/4 of the way put looked ok on the bench. After it finally broke lost 3rd, 4th & 5th, opened the tranny and it was obvious.

Sept 2014, lost 5th gear. Buy junk yard tranny, have it opened up, replace all syncros just because...install tranny, start engine, tranny has noise in neutral. Pull tranny, find bad rear mainshaft bearing.

I told you, don't get me going...

Now I think I'm done.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Oh yea, done that twice too. LOL plus change the rear one to find the front one is bad.

I still have a spare rear one in the shed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lost-5th-gear-230601.html

FYI, I also have a thread in the tranny forum about the Moore Performance Blast Plates.

• I Donated Too
It's not my car so much as my clothes or shoes... I mean to cover up or put on some old clothes or the proper old pair of sneakers but then I figure what I am working on I won't make a mess and I'll just get away with it and then I am at Kohls again to replace whatever it was I managed to get covered in paint/grease/burnt...

Are you going 6-speed?

No, I can't justify the expense now, hind sight 20/20 I should have done it years ago.

But, I'm pretty happy with the Blast Plates on the 5mt.

Thought the jdm bilstein rears had adjustable spring perches, so I compressed the spring, bashed the perch up... no extra circlip groove. So I put it back on, figuring the spring would settle the perch back down. No dice, so then I bashed on it some in the car, still high. So then I decided I'd try the fun way, and just rally some dirt roads aiming the left rear tire at potholes. And... worked like a treat! Also way fun, and damn do the bilsteins ride nice over washboarded roads!

I went to replace the steering pump o-ring do to a slight squealing noise occasionally. Well I lost the one that was in there and I smashed and tore the new on to pieces. Didn't realize it until I turned the car on and started spewing power steering fluid everywhere as my steering made horrible squealing noises.

It took like 6 hours of freeway driving for the PS fluid to burn off of the engine undercover. It smoked for so long. Probably not the safest.

Oh, I also unintentionally loosened my alternator / power steering belt as a part of that by undoing the wrong bolt.

It's ok though, I learned how to do a PS fluid flush, correctly replace an o-ring, and adjust my belt tension.

Edited by Rhitter

Buggered up a rear wheel stud being in a hurry and had to replace it.

Broke the passenger side front knuckle extracting the balljoint, had to wait a week for the new one to be delivered.

Completely assembled and mounted one of my front struts before I noticed that I didn't put on the bumpstop and dust boot, complete R&R, also didn't get the bottom bolt completely seated on the Koni strut insert, complete R&R again. I can now do a R&R on a front strut in about 30 minutes start to finish.

It's not my car so much as my clothes or shoes... I mean to cover up or put on some old clothes or the proper old pair of sneakers but then I figure what I am working on I won't make a mess and I'll just get away with it and then I am at Kohls again to replace whatever it was I managed to get covered in paint/grease/burnt...

I do that EXACT same thing but it always seems to happen when I have on a brand new extremely difficult to obtain cool T-shirt (Hard Rock Saigon Vietnam comes to mind) when I put my hand on something and get grease on it and then put my hand on the shirt and basically ruin it.

Beat up watches a lot and also my wedding ring looks like it's from the 1920's it has so much wear and scratches and gouges in it.

It sucks...LOL :lol:

Every time I tighten a nut or bolt it breaks like it was made out of (plastic, wood, bubblegum or any other soft material other then metal)

You need to buy a torque wrench.

A buddy and I were installing parallel fuel lines and an Aeromotive FPR; had everything installed including a new bracket he fabbed up for the FPR on the drivers side of the intake manifold, only to realize we hadn't accounted for the FMIC piping that had been taken out to make give us more room when running the fuel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebuilding a crashed Forester. . .01 AT. Bought it with the trans cooler hoses looped as radiator was compromised. Installed new radiator, hooked up coolant hoses, filled with antifreeze/subaru super-goo coolant conditioner. Went to hook up trans cooler, don't have 2nd hose. Go out to get one. get chatty with parts counter chick, forget to buy hose.

Come home, look over Foz. . hrrm let's light this sucker off and see how she does. . .

IMG_20140705_163316612.jpg

Oh yeah. I was supposed to buy a hose.

Every time I tighten a nut or bolt it breaks like it was made out of (plastic, wood, bubblegum or any other soft material other then metal)

You're using the wrong ratchet. Most of the small bolts, 10mm and under, are meant to be loosened and tightened using the 1/4dr ratchet, not the 3/8ths.

• I Donated Too
lockmedic's post did remind me of the time I did an oil change and filled up with gallon of brand new oil only to watch it slowly appear from under the car on all sides as I had done the classic, not put back the drain plug. New or old oil... makes a lot of mess on the driveway.

• Moderators
Did a boost leak test recently. Did not plug lines to the crank cause. *DID* build up enough pressure that my dip stick popped out and a bubbled out about 1 qt of oil all over that side of the car and onto the floor :mad:

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Installed a new wiper motor without lining up the arrows on the linkage and motor. When I put it all back together and turned it on, by wipers swung toward the engine before going up about 3/4 of the way. I even had all the plastic bits popped back in. Took it all apart and fixed it. It's the first time I've switched one of these, so that's my excuse.

lockmedic's post did remind me of the time I did an oil change and filled up with gallon of brand new oil only to watch it slowly appear from under the car on all sides as I had done the classic, not put back the drain plug. New or old oil... makes a lot of mess on the driveway.

Yep, did that back in 1979...duh. Haven't done it again.

did the same thing a couple months ago. totally coated me, and the engine compartment.

Did a boost leak test recently. Did not plug lines to the crank cause. *DID* build up enough pressure that my dip stick popped out and a bubbled out about 1 qt of oil all over that side of the car and onto the floor :mad: