LegacyGT.com

Bought a used door - have bodyshop install or do it myself?

My driver's door is rusted on the bottom. The bodyshop quoted $900 to get a used door, paint it black and R&R it.

I found a used door, already in OBP, for $225 and it's in my workshop right now. My car is headed to the bodyshop to have some rust on the rear wheel arch fixed next week.

Questions:

1) Is the door a pain to line up? Or does it pretty much go into place without adjustment? I've seen some cars that require adjustment, some that don't.

2) Does anyone know the book R&R time for the front door? The bodyshop charges $50/hr so if I know the R&R time I can estimate it. If my car is going to be at the bodyshop already I don't mind throwing them a $50 to flip out the door - but if it's gonna be $200 I'll do it myself.

3) The guy at the recyclers had the door off the donor car in about 15 minutes (including taking the fender off to access the hinge bolts. I watched the whole process so I know how it's done. I figure I could do it in under an hour with my son helping me while lining it up. Does that sound reasonable? I've been working on cars for over 20 years and have R&Rd doors before. Just wondering if the Scoob has any surprises in store for me.

Most doors I've worked on on modern cars have very little alignement. The bolts are often self centering. I usually remove the hinges from the "new" door and use the ones on the car, no need to remove the fender. It's a bit tight in the jamb but works for me. If the door doesn't self-adjust, just realign the bolts where they were on the hinge (it should be easy to see the marks on the paint). 99% of the time the alignment comes out perfect.

Archived