LegacyGT.com

Spec b springs with non spec b top hats..

driving

Search the net and this forum but havent found any pics what this ride height looks like and how they would ride with KYB's. I have the springs just looking to find the best deal on KYB's. Konis would be nice but still 507$ is as cheap as I've found them.

My goal is smooth and minimal lean, which im sure bars can solve. Also is a 20mm bar a good size with spec b springs and kybs?

Stock spec.B springs on KYBs with LGT top hats will give you stock ride height. And close to stock handling.

The typical consensus on here is that spec.B springs are very similar (if not exactly the same) as regular LGT springs.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I was asking if the ride will be Level???? I wouldnt mind an inch of lift from my Eibachs... But hate when a car rides higher in the front than the rear.... Most info i have found on Spec B is speculation. No one seems to know 100% that they are stiffer than LGT or if spec bs are a different ride height. Also have not found any pics of spec b car on Kyb top hats. Has anybody actually tried this combo???

Stock spec.B springs on KYBs with LGT top hats will give you stock ride height. And close to stock handling.

The typical consensus on here is that spec.B springs are very similar (if not exactly the same) as regular LGT springs.

In my limited experience, spec B springs are much longer, taller, but made of skinnier / thinner metal. I don't know if they are stiffer, softer, higher, lower, but they are definitely different.

I would think pictures of the spec B on cars101 would give you an idea of ride height, front to rear with Spec B Bilsteins. With USDM tophats you might be 3/8 inch lower in front. But I have no idea if the ride would be appropriate with those springs which are designed for use with Bilsteins.

I highly doubt you can run spec.B Bils with KYB top hats which is why you haven't found pictures. The spec.B top hats are not as thick and I don't think there are enough threads on the shocks to get the KYB top hats to work.

I'm truly at a loss as to what you're trying to accomplish? The spec.B springs are not meant to lower - they just match the Bilstein dampening and the LGT springs match the KYB dampening to the specs Subaru intended. Why are you replacing your LGT springs with spec.B springs? If you want a mild drop and stiffer spring rates consider JDM Pink springs. Be aware they will be slightly lower in the front on KYB/LGT top hats as they were rated for a Bilstein setup (but will work). mattg runs sedan Pinks/KYBs with LGT top hats if you want to search for pics.

Catalyst, you are probably very, very right, but I can imagine the thought process: Spec B is supposedly the higher perf model, so parts off it must be an improvement, or at least sportier. Used Spec B springs are often under $100 per set of 4, whereas you'd be lucky to get more than 1 pink spring for that. I'm just saying that could be what he was hoping for: better performance for $100 total.

Just looking for actual accounts of ride height. I just picked up some used spec b springs. (80$ shipped)

I bought my LGT used a year ago with Eibach's . (this is the only set up ive had on the car) im looking for more travel. One inch isnt enough. I will be trimming bump stops untill i can figure out/ save up for whatever set up i decide to go with. Im guessing i will need some more ground clearance as im moving to Vancouver BC soon.

• 5 months later...

I have to chime in here. This thread represents everything that's wrong with this forum – too many opinions and not enough facts.

First: driving asks if anyone has used spec b springs with non spec b top hats (i.e. KYB LGT top hats)

Then, Dbl_D718 says “Stock spec.B springs on KYBs with LGT top hats will give you stock ride height. And close to stock handling… spec.B springs are very similar (if not exactly the same) as regular LGT springs.” In response to that comment, here’s a quote from Car and Driver:

“Subaru swapped the front-strut setup in favor of the WRX STI's inverted struts, stiffened the shocks and springs all around.”

And I’m pretty sure they get their information directly from Subaru, and that they check their facts before they go to print.

Dble_D718 says again “spec.B springs are not lower.”

So consider this. If a stock spec b and a stock LGT have the same ride height, then the springs on the spec b must be shorter for at least one of two reasons. The spec b comes with 18” wheels, which would make the car sit higher, and the front spec b top hats are thicker and will cause the front of the car to sit higher. The latter I know for a fact, because I put Bilstein HDs on my 05 LGT with stock springs, because somebody at Fred Beans Parts told me you could use stock LGT springs with spec b top hats and Bilsteins. Technically I guess he was right, if I was trying to race Ivan Stewart. I also love how, when I had this problem and was trying to find out how to correct it, some people said it was the increased pressure in the Bilsteins that was causing my car to sit higher.

One would think, that the spec b springs are 3/8 to 1/2 inch shorter in the front to account for the taller mount, and are the same in the rear. But I have also yet to find someone who ABSOLUTELY knows this for sure. And I would like to know for certain, because I am contemplating the same thing as driving -- spec b springs with KYB mounts.

Second: Impatient says “In my limited experience, spec B springs are much long

er, taller, but made of skinnier / thinner metal. I don't know if they are stiffer, softer, higher, lower, but they are definitely different.”

If you have limited experience then maybe you shouldn’t comment. Especially when in the same statement you say the springs are much longer and taller, but you don’t know if they are higher or lower. If they’re taller, doesn’t that make them higher?

Third: Catalyst says “I highly doubt you can run spec.B Bils with KYB top hats.”

driving didn’t ask about using spec b struts with KYB mounts. He asked about using spec b SPRINGS with KYB TOP HATS. But thanks for answering anyway. Catalyst also goes on to say “If you want a mild drop and stiffer spring rates consider JDM Pink springs.” Pinks are not a mild drop. There used to be a very good wiki on here that listed the rated drop and spring rates for a dozen or so springs, but it’s been removed. Anyway, the rated drop of the pinks is based on the use of spec b mounts, which are thicker, but I don’t know if they’re taller or higher. And yes I’m being a smart ass.

Well, I'm sure my post will piss everyone off, and maybe even get me banned. But I'm hoping to improve this site, which is only as good as the information on it.

And driving, please do post up if you ever found the answer, or any results from your own experimentation.

If a stock spec b and a stock LGT have the same ride height, then the springs on the spec b must be shorter for at least one of two reasons. The spec b comes with 18” wheels, which would make the car sit higher, and the front spec b top hats are thicker and will cause the front of the car to sit higher.

Having 18" wheels won't automatically raise the car, tire size is used to compensate. Spec.B top hats are only "taller" on setups for which they weren't intended, like KYB struts. You need to use washers as a spacer, leading to your increase in ride height. Use spec.B top hats on Bilstein struts and you won't need spacers.

I also love how, when I had this problem and was trying to find out how to correct it, some people said it was the increased pressure in the Bilsteins that was causing my car to sit higher.

High pressure struts can actually affect ride height in some cases, as it can alter the overall effective spring rate.

If you have limited experience then maybe you shouldn’t comment. Especially when in the same statement you say the springs are much longer and taller, but you don’t know if they are higher or lower. If they’re taller, doesn’t that make them higher?

Your experience seems limited as well. I have the stock spec.B assembled struts that I took off my car sitting in my garage, and tore down stock LGT struts to build my Koni setup. I started with spec.B top hats on my Koni setup and decided I didn't like the height added by having to install spacers in order to run those top hats. I then switched to Whiteline's top hats. So...I've had my fair share of experience with spec.B/KYB struts on these cars, though that still makes me no expert.

Taller unloaded springs may sit lower if they're thinner metal and compress more under load. Not saying that this is actually the case with spec.B springs, but it's possible I suppose.

Pinks are not a mild drop. There used to be a very good wiki on here that listed the rated drop and spring rates for a dozen or so springs, but it’s been removed.

THIS LINK shows that pink springs are a fairly mild drop, which coincides with most reviews here.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

I have to chime in here. This thread represents everything that's wrong with this forum – too many opinions and not enough facts.

Oh really?

So consider this. If a stock spec b and a stock LGT have the same ride height, then the springs on the spec b must be shorter for at least one of two reasons. The spec b comes with 18” wheels, which would make the car sit higher, and the front spec b top hats are thicker and will cause the front of the car to sit higher. The latter I know for a fact, because I put Bilstein HDs on my 05 LGT with stock springs, because somebody at Fred Beans Parts told me you could use stock LGT springs with spec b top hats and Bilsteins. Technically I guess he was right, if I was trying to race Ivan Stewart. I also love how, when I had this problem and was trying to find out how to correct it, some people said it was the increased pressure in the Bilsteins that was causing my car to sit higher.

One would think, that the spec b springs are 3/8 to 1/2 inch shorter in the front to account for the taller mount, and are the same in the rear. But I have also yet to find someone who ABSOLUTELY knows this for sure. And I would like to know for certain, because I am contemplating the same thing as driving -- spec b springs with KYB mounts.

This logic you posted above is completely flawed.

Third: Catalyst says “I highly doubt you can run spec.B Bils with KYB top hats.”

driving didn’t ask about using spec b struts with KYB mounts. He asked about using spec b SPRINGS with KYB TOP HATS. But thanks for answering anyway. Catalyst also goes on to say “If you want a mild drop and stiffer spring rates consider JDM Pink springs.” Pinks are not a mild drop. There used to be a very good wiki on here that listed the rated drop and spring rates for a dozen or so springs, but it’s been removed. Anyway, the rated drop of the pinks is based on the use of spec b mounts, which are thicker, but I don’t know if they’re taller or higher. And yes I’m being a smart ass.

Well, I'm sure my post will piss everyone off, and maybe even get me banned. But I'm hoping to improve this site, which is only as good as the information on it.

And driving, please do post up if you ever found the answer, or any results from your own experimentation.

First off, you're a tool - but lucky for you that's not enough of a reason to ban you around here. Reading comprehension seems to be your first issue here. Also stating you are "hoping to improve this site" is indicative of your naive outlook that what you think you know is more accurate than what years of intelligent, helpful members of this community have contributed into this aggregated resource, which has more factual knowledge of what does and doesn't work with this platform than any other site on the internet. Doing it by reviving a thread that hasn't had activity for 6 months and using it as your platform to campaign for your idea of changing the internet to be better and more accurate is just pompous.

My comment on spec.B Bilsteins with KYB/LGT style top hats was in direct response to the 2 posts right before it:

Also have not found any pics of spec b car on Kyb top hats. Has anybody actually tried this combo???

I would think pictures of the spec B on cars101 would give you an idea of ride height, front to rear with Spec B Bilsteins. With USDM tophats you might be 3/8 inch lower in front. But I have no idea if the ride would be appropriate with those springs which are designed for use with Bilsteins.

See in forums, often times more than one person asks a question than just the OP. I have been able to determine there are not enough threads on the Bilstein strut to get a nut on top of the KYB/LGT top hat, which is much deeper (equating to a lower ride height, all else being equal with springs and struts).

SO...

Have you ever had spec.B Bilsteins, top hats, and springs in your possession? I have. Have you compared them to the LGT OEM mounts and KYBs? I have. Have you seen spec.B springs on LGT KYBs? I have. Have you seen STi Pinks on both designs of shocks with respective mounts (top hats)? No? I have.

I had someone buy and install my takeoff spec.B springs onto their standard LGT struts and top hats. Ride height is the same. The Subaru part numbers are different for the respective springs since they have different spring rates (one for KYBs, one for inverted Bilsteins). So really all they were was a slightly stiffer spring rates that mate with their respective suspensions. The only reason that guy bought them from me was because the car came with Tein springs, and he wanted to go back to stock ride height.

What you fail to realize is that what you quoted: "inverted struts, stiffened the shocks and springs all around." from C&D is referring to the total suspension package. The springs are not the magical variable in this equation - yes they are slightly stiffer, but not necessarily lower. It is the shocks first and foremost that require the different mount, and give different height characteristics if you mix and match the mounts. They are inverted and a better performing shock than the LGT counterpart. The "B" in spec.B stands for Bilstein. With that drastic of a design difference in shocks, you still want to believe that they should be entirely equal in length to the KYB, and it's just the spring that corrects the difference in ride height between the top hat mounts and shock design?

If you want to improve driving characteristics with a standard LGT by using spec.B takeoffs - you need to focus more on the Bilsteins, and not just the springs. The spec.B springs are slightly stiffer to match the dampening of the Bilstein absorber - but they are not lowering springs. Due to the inverted strut the top hat mount is engineered differently, and with a totally different style shock, you can't assume it is exactly the same ride height as the KYB counterpart (shock for shock comparison).

There's only so much travel our chassis design has, and both options have to be designed to optimize handling and comfort within that range. The overall ride height between a spec.B and a LGT is extremely close. It's when you start picking single parts from one and putting them on another that you begin to create different results (higher front end for example) than the engineers designed.

Also, STi Pinks are a mild drop on the shocks they were designed for (Bilsteins) - it's not debatable. They are much lower on a LGT with standard top hats and KYB shocks. On USDM (JDM Rev.C) Bilsteins they are less than an inch drop all around. Put them on a standard LGT suspension (KYB shocks and top hats), and it's a much more significant drop, because of the design of the shocks and mounts.

The front spec b springs that I had had thinner wire and more winds, sat taller not mounted. Since I never mounted them I can't say what ride height they provide with different struts. Rear spec b springs were also thinner wire I don't remember how tall they were unmounted. Reading through this and trying to ignore the emotion the one question I still have is whether spec b springs are in fact stiffer; they might not be. In combination with Bilstein struts they may be but not necessarily by themselves. Most Bilsteins require Spec b tophats; KYB struts mate perfectly with non-Bilstein USDM tophats but perhaps could be used with spec be tophats with some washers. USDM tophats sag more when mounted that is where the ride height difference comes from. I've dealt with all this personally except as I said before I never mounted the spec b springs.

Archived