LegacyGT.com

Kissed a curb, alignment specs, change hub?

So we got about 10" of snow the other night, and I hit a hidden curb with the right front on my 55K mile '08 LGT 5EAT while turning into an uncleared parking lot.

The rim has some rash, but spins straight and true on the balance machine, and the alignment is good as can be seen in the attachment.

The car had never had an alignment since new.

I have noticed that I am now getting what sounds like bearing noise above about 50MPH, and it is more pronounced when turning left with the RF wheel is more heavily loaded.

The car otherwise drives fine with no vibrations etc., did a 300 mile trip with no problem, so I'm guessing the bearings/hub has to be replaced?

Anyone done this job?

Thanks,

Paul

1201641892_Alignmenta.thumb.jpg.1c2a334c0710f4e4c2de6880b1460a40.jpg

In other cars I have had a faulty wheel bearing can be felt most when just slightly turning in one direction. You can also lift that side of the car, get the steering wheel lock on, grap the tire at 3 and 9 oclock and try to wiggle it. If the wheel moves around alot that is also the sign of a bad wheel bearing. Compare to your rear wheel to confirm if its not just slop in the system that you are feeling.

I noticed a hum coming from the rear while driving over 30. Does not get louder that faster I go, stays the same, but quiets down when slowing down. A couple people told me it was the wheel bearing. I have been looking and the local subaru dealer said thats its a whole hub assembly, whcih they have for $150. Seems that I could find it cheaper, thoughts?!

Wow, new guy's.

Trust me you need to get a OEM hub/bearing for the fronts. You can use a Moog for the rears but for the fronts, suck it up and buy a OEM unit.

Read the DIY's here, lots of info.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived