LegacyGT.com

??? about AT. Trading my 05 MT for a 05 AT

My wife is tired of her manual cause she drives one at work. We are looking at a 05 Auto to trade for. Does the Auto have any type of sport shifting? In the pics you can see it has the Momo shifter and wheel like my manual does, but I don't know about the auto trannys. Both are LGTs. Any input is most welcome. Thanks

Also, it has steel pedals. Are they aftermarket, or did the factory do any of that? Thanks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have an 05 LGT 5EAT. i love it. sometimes, i wish it were manual so i didn't have to upgrade tranny parts for my mods, but sounds like your wife most likely won't be modding her car. the manual shift mode on a stock 05 is just so-so. there's about 1 sec delay in the shifts. also, from 1-2 shift it can be a bit choppy. when i went stg 2 with just gutted pipes and AP, it helped with this and i had much smoother shifts/gears.

you will lose some power in the auto unless you drive around in the sport mode (not manual shift). i usually leave mine in D most of the time to help conserve gas and not cause me to get any more tickets.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::spin:

Easy fellas. :) I personally love the stick, and don't want to get rid of it. It is her car though and after 10 hours on the job, she is tired of shifting. I wasn't trying to open the "manual vs. auto" can of worms.

i have an 05 LGT 5EAT. i love it. sometimes, i wish it were manual so i didn't have to upgrade tranny parts for my mods, but sounds like your wife most likely won't be modding her car. the manual shift mode on a stock 05 is just so-so. there's about 1 sec delay in the shifts. also, from 1-2 shift it can be a bit choppy. when i went stg 2 with just gutted pipes and AP, it helped with this and i had much smoother shifts/gears.

you will lose some power in the auto unless you drive around in the sport mode (not manual shift). i usually leave mine in D most of the time to help conserve gas and not cause me to get any more tickets.

I'm backing her up on that.. go ahead guys and make fun of the automatic LGTers lol.... but the transmissions have been making alot of advancements like the VW DSG Gearbox which is impressive which you can shift in 2/10ths of a second with the paddle. "Info found from the VW website"

Edit: Just my two cents

I'm backing her up on that.. go ahead guys and make fun of the automatic LGTers lol.... but the transmissions have been making alot of advancements like the VW DSG Gearbox which is impressive which you can shift in 2/10ths of a second with the paddle. "Info found from the VW website"

Blah, blah. It's not about the shifting speed, or even 1/4 times.

It is about CONTROL that a slushbox or DSG don't give you because they miss one important element: clutch (don't tell me that DSG has "clutches", btw).

Anyway, pointless...

:offtopic:, sorry

That is good stuff to know. Thanks. It really is her car. I have enough obsessions and have no intrest in messing with her stuff. "A man's got to know his limitations". So no, no mods anytime soon. If we can get a straight trade she will be happier. That inturn makes a 335i in a couple of years easier.;)

It is her car though and after 10 hours on the job, she is tired of shifting.

Yeah, I dont blame her. I just couldn't ever change even if I wanted to. I scrape for every MPG I can. But then Im also a poor college student.

Blah, blah. It's not about the shifting speed, or even 1/4 times.

It is about CONTROL that a slushbox or DSG don't give you because they miss one important element: clutch (don't tell me that DSG has "clutches", btw).

Anyway, pointless...

:offtopic:, sorry

no doubt, you don't have as much CONTROL over every little detail, but if that's not what you're needing or wanting in your daily driving b*tch, then it doesn't matter. ;) besides, when i'm cruising on the hwy, it's not like i'm shifting. it's mainly for the stop and go lame traffic.

Just wondering, but what job does she have that she is shifting all day? Truck driver?

ya, was wondering the same thing. I'm in outside sales and recently opened my own business with 2 locations that I float back and forth from all day long. i put about 50-100 miles a day right now, all city. this is why i bought the 5EAT in the first place. then had to mod it. :lol:

Just wondering, but what job does she have that she is shifting all day? Truck driver?

She is a wholesale delivery person. She has a pretty cushy truck, but it is a stick. She does a bit of rual long distance stuff and works 4 - 10s. I warned her about the manual when we got it, but she is tired of it now with her job. I'm just trying to do my part to keep the little lady happy;)

So far it is a go. The numbers are close. Any thing I should be aware of? We already replaced wheel bearings on ours and we are familiar with what we are getting. I just hate surprises though. Any problems I should look for? It has 47K

check the brakes and make sure they are good. go for a test drive and make sure nothing seems wierd. it should still be pretty darn close to what you are used to, so any odd vibrations or clunking wouldn't be normal.

if i wanted a manual, i woulda bought a STi...so i went with 5eat on my LGT

eh... i just made my 5EAT an STI but auto and then bought an STI. this way, i can get my kicks in whatever form.

i've been driving the old car the past few days because i need to haul stuff for work. today in traffic, both ways, i remembered why i went with the auto and try to avoid rush hours at all possibility! :lol:

My wife is tired of her manual cause she drives one at work. We are looking at a 05 Auto to trade for. Does the Auto have any type of sport shifting? In the pics you can see it has the Momo shifter and wheel like my manual does, but I don't know about the auto trannys. Both are LGTs. Any input is most welcome. Thanks

Also, it has steel pedals. Are they aftermarket, or did the factory do any of that? Thanks

get the si drive if you can.

Archived