LegacyGT.com

Did Cobb AP for '07-'08 fix the stutter?

Lothar

Did the new Cobb AP for '07-'08 LGT fix the stutter?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Did the new Cobb AP for '07-'08 LGT fix the stutter?

• Yes, AP completely fixed the stutter.
    • The stutter is better, but not completely gone.
    • The stutter is just as bad as it was before AP.
    • I never had the stutter in the first place.

For those of you who got the new Cobb AccessPort release for '07-'08 LGT's, did it fix your car's stutter (i.e., the hesitation/hiccup in power delivery typically reported at 3000-4000rpm)?

Please post below whether it was the stage 1 or 2 map that fixed the problem for you, and describe your stutter before/after the fix.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually wish it was possible for people to change their poll choice after their original answer, as I am now wondering if the Cobb map is going to end up doing the same thing as the factory reflash did for many people (including me)... that it gets rid of the stutter temporarily, and then it comes back as the ECU re-learns your driving habits. Or does the Cobb map somehow disable the learning function? I actually wish I had added a 5th poll choice now, "Got rid of the stutter, but it later came back."

I suppose if that happened though, then you could simply just keep reloading the Cobb map periodically.

I'll just answer 'yes' to both your questions.

Except you ask 'forever' then you should expect your answer in a few years, since that is what youre trying to find out, wether or not the AP reflash will last that long.

I'll just answer 'yes' to both your questions.

Except you ask 'forever' then you should expect your answer in a few years, since that is what youre trying to find out, wether or not the AP reflash will last that long.

I had to scroll back to see what the first question was that you are answering "yes" to... I assume you meant that yes, AP disables the learning function of the ECU.

Here's another question for people to ponder... It seems that even though AP is reducing the stutter, it is not completely eliminating it for some people. Does this mean that the ECU map was not the whole problem in the first place, but rather something hardware-related is the problem? Or does it mean that Cobb simply needs to fine-tune their map better?

I think people have been working under the assumption all along that the stutter has been caused by Subaru releasing a faulty ECU map, but if Cobb started fresh with a brand-new map, overwriting all of Subaru's ECU program, and the stutter is still there, then what does that tell us?

I'm actually wondering if the reason why the new AP users show that the stutter has disappeared is simply because they've done a reflash that's cleared out the old "learning" (the same way that the factory reflash seems to have done for a lot of people, after which the problem frequently returns as it re-learns). So for the people who answered in this poll that the AP completely fixed the stutter, it will be interesting to see if the stutter is still gone after a few weeks (or days).

I think that we also need to find out how many people reset their ECU after reflashing.

This way, you would definately clear out any thing "bad" the ECU may have learned in realtime.

When I had my WRX wagon tuned, they did a Vishnu reset on the dyno after flashing my new base map.

I can say that the after running through a couple of tanks, pretty much gone. I still notice some jerkyness when the car is cold and sometimes when I shift at mid RPMs after having accelerated hard it will get kinda flakey for a second. I have only really noticed st-stutter once or twice since flashing and I think that was within days of flashing, so now that it's broken in it seems the AP may have actually fixed the stutter for good.

So I just installed Stage 1 93 a few minutes ago, here are my impressions:

--NO STUTTER!

--Pulls much harder from 3500rpm to redline....not much difference below that

--"no boost" to "boost" transition is not terribly smooth....its like "ok, ok, ok....BAM there it is"...but that's how these cars work I guess. Its not horrible though

--The first tiny bit of pedal travel in "S" mode doesn't really do anything...not a bad thing, but something to get used to from the stock tune.

--My MPG's went down a lot from hammering the throttle so much :-)

Overall, I'm happy, but it was not the revolutionary life-changing experience that other people on here would like you to believe.

So I just installed Stage 1 93 a few minutes ago, here are my impressions:

--The first tiny bit of pedal travel in "S" mode doesn't really do anything...not a bad thing, but something to get used to from the stock tune.

That's interesting... does switching into S# now compensate, and make it more like you were used to it running in S?

I got the first ap released to the public, sat Dec 22nd. I have put over 3k on my car since the flash, no sign of the stutter coming back. my car still performs great, happy as can be with the ots map. I am running stg2 93 with cobb tbe.

Archived