LegacyGT.com

Noise at high RPM under load around 4k?!?1

I am getting a whining noise that is extremely loud around 4k RPMs and was wondering if anyone was experiencing the same problem? I have reported problems of a similar noise but at a fraction of the db and it was noticable at low speeds. That turned out to be some wheel bearings. I dont think this is the case now only for the fact it only happens around 4k and under a heavy load (acceleration). I had the dealer look at it and they couldnt hear the noise....i'm liek what? Its loud as hell lol. So i wanted to have em look at it again when i got my next oil change. Well in between them looking at it and my next sceduled oil change i decided to do a bbk with SS lines. Cause of my **** up (apparently) i had to put wheel spacers on the car. Brought it back to the dealer (before that oil change) to have them bleed the brakes once more to check my work and to look at the noise again. Well they put it on a lift and said the noise was coming from the SS lines rubbing on the tire and they wont bleed the brakes because the car isnt safe. Well now im upset, the noise was there before and the line that was rubbing only rubbed thru the clear decorative cover on the SS line so it is safe as can be. On top of that they wouldnt pull the ss line away from the rim because they didnt want to be responsible. UGH! Anyways i fixed the brake line a noise still there. But of course screwed again dealer said if it is the wheel bearing they wont replace it because i have wheel spacers on the tires AHH!!! They wouldnt even test drive the car after i pulled the ss lien away from the wheel because they said the car isnt safe...ahahahhaa. I can't win. So to sum this up eventually im getting new rims and fixin the brake line so i can have the stealership look at the noise again but was wondering if anyone else experienced the noise and what it might be. Thanks guys.

yeah even that is hard to tell..... the best description of the whine i can give would be sounds almost as if under high load hence the high rpms and excessive gas that the belt are squeekin....u get that same ear piercing screech kinda thing....I will see what i can do about a sound clip....o by the way it doesnt always do it.....just about 95% of the time....that may because of how much gas u need to give it though

• 2 weeks later...
Still working on getting the sound clip but i really dont think its a busted turbo. But it may be possible that its a leaky one. I put an Avo actuator on awhile back but the problem didnt surface til recnetly. The car still runs too strong for me to think its a urbo. Bump for any other ideas!

I've got the exact same problem on my 01 legacy gt and it doesn't even have a turbo. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in around 4k rpms i hear a high pitched whining noise. It happens in all gears, doesn't matter what speed, just rpm. It sounded like it was coming from the rear of the car so I checked the rear differentail oil and changed it just for good measure. Didn't really help. After taking my heat sheild off my muffler (rattling) now it sounds like the whine is coming from the transmission area. I'll try to get a sound clip of it.

Yeah i get it to but only under the heaviest of load.... when on the freeway and it open and i decide to really get in it in 5th gear 4300rpms doing a good 130-135mph it starts wwhhhiiiiaiiiiiiaiiiiiiiaiiiiiiaiiiiiii...... very annoying but to me i think its in the computer almost as a warning because are cars normally run real lean. a good tune could make that go away..... im no dr. but i think that would be the proper treatment.

I am getting a whining noise that is extremely loud around 4k RPMs and was wondering if anyone was experiencing the same problem? I have reported problems of a similar noise but at a fraction of the db and it was noticable at low speeds. That turned out to be some wheel bearings. I dont think this is the case now only for the fact it only happens around 4k and under a heavy load (acceleration). I had the dealer look at it and they couldnt hear the noise....i'm liek what? Its loud as hell lol. So i wanted to have em look at it again when i got my next oil change. Well in between them looking at it and my next sceduled oil change i decided to do a bbk with SS lines. Cause of my **** up (apparently) i had to put wheel spacers on the car. Brought it back to the dealer (before that oil change) to have them bleed the brakes once more to check my work and to look at the noise again. Well they put it on a lift and said the noise was coming from the SS lines rubbing on the tire and they wont bleed the brakes because the car isnt safe. Well now im upset, the noise was there before and the line that was rubbing only rubbed thru the clear decorative cover on the SS line so it is safe as can be. On top of that they wouldnt pull the ss line away from the rim because they didnt want to be responsible. UGH! Anyways i fixed the brake line a noise still there. But of course screwed again dealer said if it is the wheel bearing they wont replace it because i have wheel spacers on the tires AHH!!! They wouldnt even test drive the car after i pulled the ss lien away from the wheel because they said the car isnt safe...ahahahhaa. I can't win. So to sum this up eventually im getting new rims and fixin the brake line so i can have the stealership look at the noise again but was wondering if anyone else experienced the noise and what it might be. Thanks guys.

As a representative of the said dealer, I will reply...we didn't hear the noise because we were not able to road test the vehicle due to the safety concern with the brake line. The Braided line was rubbing on the tire and had worn some of the clear sheathing from the line. If we road tested the car and the brake line had failed we would be liable for any of the damages. We also couldn't bleed the brakes due to the same concern, once we touch the brake system we could be liable if the damaged line were to fail. We recommended replacing the brake line for you and then bleeding the brakes so we could road test the car. You said you would repair the brake line yourself and bring it back...that was 2 weeks ago, you've never come back. (BTW the protective sheathing on the brake line prevents dirt from getting in between the inner brake line and the braiding, it does this because dirt particles can puncture the inner brake line causing a leak...so regardless of how small you think the wear mark is, it really needs to be replaced).

As far as the wheel spacers...for me it I wouldn't of paid it much attention...but the day you brought it in our SOA rep was there, saw the spacers on your car and pointed out that any spacers would cause undue stress on the wheel bearings, this is a valid reason to deny warranty coverage on the wheel bearings. It was just bad timing....glad to know you think we are a "stealership" as I routinely go out of my way to take care of the enthusiasts that visit us and have answered many of your questions via PM.

yeah even that is hard to tell..... the best description of the whine i can give would be sounds almost as if under high load hence the high rpms and excessive gas that the belt are squeekin....u get that same ear piercing screech kinda thing....I will see what i can do about a sound clip....o by the way it doesnt always do it.....just about 95% of the time....that may because of how much gas u need to give it though

Based on your description, I would say you have an exhaust leak somewhere before the turbo, they generally make a squealing type noise only under load. Normally they are found on cars with aftermarket headers and/or up-pipes...but I've seen a few on stock cars as well.

...of course, this is all the opinion of a "stealership" employee.:icon_roll

Check for pre-turbo exhaust leaks as suggested by others. If the noise goes away when you floor it, you are probably hearing the BOV/BPV, but if it gets louder under boost then it's more than likely a tea-kettle whistle caused by a blown or leaky gasket at the Manifold->UP or UP to Turbo. If the UP has been changed; I would put money on it that one of the gaskets failed or needs to be re-torqued. It probably starts at 3K as boost builds and then fades off a bit after 4K as boost starts to taper off. If so change your gaskets.
Let's kick this pig!

As a representative of the said dealer, I will reply...we didn't hear the noise because we were not able to road test the vehicle due to the safety concern with the brake line. The Braided line was rubbing on the tire and had worn some of the clear sheathing from the line. If we road tested the car and the brake line had failed we would be liable for any of the damages. We also couldn't bleed the brakes due to the same concern, once we touch the brake system we could be liable if the damaged line were to fail. We recommended replacing the brake line for you and then bleeding the brakes so we could road test the car. You said you would repair the brake line yourself and bring it back...that was 2 weeks ago, you've never come back. (BTW the protective sheathing on the brake line prevents dirt from getting in between the inner brake line and the braiding, it does this because dirt particles can puncture the inner brake line causing a leak...so regardless of how small you think the wear mark is, it really needs to be replaced).

As far as the wheel spacers...for me it I wouldn't of paid it much attention...but the day you brought it in our SOA rep was there, saw the spacers on your car and pointed out that any spacers would cause undue stress on the wheel bearings, this is a valid reason to deny warranty coverage on the wheel bearings. It was just bad timing....glad to know you think we are a "stealership" as I routinely go out of my way to take care of the enthusiasts that visit us and have answered many of your questions via PM.

Based on your description, I would say you have an exhaust leak somewhere before the turbo, they generally make a squealing type noise only under load. Normally they are found on cars with aftermarket headers and/or up-pipes...but I've seen a few on stock cars as well.

...of course, this is all the opinion of a "stealership" employee.:icon_roll

Well i wasnt going to name the dealership and i still wont but i have a feeling everyone here knows which one you work for.As for the stealership thing everyone refers to dealerships as stealerships im sorry that offends you and i take it back. Heres the thing with the brake line if you guys had noticed my rear SS lines have no clear coating. Why you may ask because they come that way. I agree with you the clear plastic coating is an added benefit but with it slightly worn it would NEVER have failed...It had not even rubbed down to the braid thats why the braid was never damaged so technicallly the plastic is still there. As for the wheel spacers i can understand the valid point of the non warranty but the wheel spacers had been on there for literally a day and the noise was even reported to your delaership 2 weeks prior. So whether it was bad timing or what it didnt matter because it was never road tested. I do feel you may be right on the leaky exhaust...So im gonna have to see if i can figure out which one is leaking.

Yeah i get it to but only under the heaviest of load.... when on the freeway and it open and i decide to really get in it in 5th gear 4300rpms doing a good 130-135mph it starts wwhhhiiiiaiiiiiiaiiiiiiiaiiiiiiaiiiiiii...... very annoying but to me i think its in the computer almost as a warning because are cars normally run real lean. a good tune could make that go away..... im no dr. but i think that would be the proper treatment.

Are you effing serious?

Not my problem at all

• 4 years later...

And now for my next trick... I shall resurrect this five year old thread!

I am having a similar problem with my 99 SUS (which is obviously non-turbo).

Has this type of noise been determined by the community to generally be an exhaust leak as stated in this thread, or are there possibly other more common problems associated with it?

• 2 weeks later...

Exhaust or intake leak of some kind...

-Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/141039922.jpg%5Dhttp://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg

11+ Years Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Subaru Enthusiasts.

Call directly as We carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

• 8 years later...
I know this is an old thread but in case any one is still researching this issue, I was hearing this under load around 3k+ up on acceleration but not during free revving on my 06 LGT 5EAT with 54k miles. Did a leak test and found it was a loose clamp at the lower right side of the TPIC. Was worried it was the turbo. I have a video of it, https://youtu.be/SDuLtd8cXCw