LegacyGT.com

Mcintosh Power Amp Fan Noise....

Muzza

Does anyone think that their power amp located under the passenger's seat (if you have the Mcintosh system) is noisy?

Mine seems to have quite a dominent fan noise which I wouldn't have thought would be normal and having asked a couple of friends that have the same stereo if they ever notice theirs they don't seem to think so (that theirs is loud enough to hear that is).

It isn't super loud but enough to annoy as it almost sounds like electrical interference sometimes (which is what I initially thought it was) and it's now one of those sounds that once you've heard once you now ALWAYS notice!!! :mad:

The guys at my local Subaru agent noticed and agreed and it was pulled out and sent to Subaru but they have sent it back saying "no fault found" :confused::mad::eek:.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue?

Sorry........the stereo does sound REALLY good (I know I am lucky to have this system as opposed to some of the others) but like I say....once you hear the fan noise you just can't "escape" it...:eek:

I've never noticed mine being noisy. Does the NZ model have seat heaters? if so try it without. Do you listen with lots of bass? try without.

Try listening to the Mac in another car. If it doesn't make the noise, then I'd be going back to the Subaru service to look at again.

I first pinpointed the "fault" one day when I had been washing the car and had the radio going. The heated seats were switched off and the radio was playing at quite a low level and without much bass. The fault generally takes a little bit of time to start (it would appear that the fan starts once the amp gets some heat - as you'd expect).

I wonder if I could trouble a couple of you to turn your stereo's on for say...10mins - and quite loud (so the amp gets driven quite hard) and then switch the stereo off but keep the key on acc and see if you can actually hear the amp or not.

Any help would be appreciated. I want to ensure mine is different before I go back and pressure Subaru to fix it (what they are implying is that the noise is normal). :confused:

Archived