LegacyGT.com

My Suspension Revisited - Your Help Needed

STiNGER

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I have addressed my setup but now is the time. I really need to solve some issues as well as perform a suspension tune-up!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I have been running for 2 years in my 06 LGT 5MT

- Cusco front & rear anti-sway bars (rusted so bad there is no blue left)

- Cobb front & rear end links

- Tein H-Tech's w/ stock shocks (slightly squated in the back)

- No reinforcement anywhere. (needed?)

Here's what I experience!

- Occasional clunking from the front Cusco

- Nearly destroyed lower control arm bushings

- High speed lift/tracking issues

- Lots of creaking (probably the LCA bushings)

Here's what I need help with your expertise!

- Should I replace the cuscos? Does rust matter? Should I refinish them for a longevity situation?

- Are Cobb end links still a good choice? Are they adding to the clunking? Have they been recalled (not sold anymore I see)? Change them?

- I'm leaning toward AVO offset LCA bushings; good idea? I want a better handling car at high speeds.

- Should I reinforce my front and/or rear sways with a kit you may recommend?

- How about that whiteline kit that changes out the ball joints? Worth it?

- Is there a kit to raise the rear a bit to balance out the H-tech spring drop?

Here's my goal:

- Get the car to be a good handling/steering/stable car. I don't hit the track anymore. I just want a good daily driver, and a safe daily driver.

- I don't want to buy coilovers but everything else is pretty much on the table.

- Safety is a must. i.e I'd rather not put the stock end links on if I'm going to snap them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I realize these are a lot of questions and I know everyone has their favorite setup. Of course replacing everything is always an option, but I'd prefer to try to work with what I have, if possible.

I am going to get a professional 4 corner alignment once everything is complete.

Thanks for all the help gents!

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Check your sway bar bushings to see how they are holding up as you mentioned your sway bar is clunking (could be metal to metal if the bushings are cracked) I would say just sand down the rust off your sways, no need for new ones imo....

I don't have aftermarket endlinks/brackets and I have no issues, so idk about what you want to do there, maybe someone else could chime in...

As far as leveling the drop you could double up on the rear top hat, or go with s tech fronts...drop is nice, won't sit lower in the rear anymore

Hope that helps a little anyway

Check your sway bar bushings to see how they are holding up as you mentioned your sway bar is clunking (could be metal to metal if the bushings are cracked) I would say just sand down the rust off your sways, no need for new ones imo....

I don't have aftermarket endlinks/brackets and I have no issues, so idk about what you want to do there, maybe someone else could chime in...

As far as leveling the drop you could double up on the rear top hat, or go with s tech fronts...drop is nice, won't sit lower in the rear anymore

Hope that helps a little anyway

Thanks for the advice. I'll check the bushings but I doubt they are cracked. It's kind of clunked from day 1. I think I will clean them up.

As for the front springs, I don't want to go lower with the S-techs, but I did consider that. I'm not sure about doubling up the rear top hats, I'll have to read up on that. Thanks a bunch.

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I replaced the front Cusco sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension ones. It nearly eliminated the clunking noises. The Energy bushings are poly. It's a snug fit and I had to grind down the edges of the metal clamps but it worked out in the end. I also installed Superpro offset LCA bushings. They are great on the street and are awesome when taking turns. My Cusco sways were a little rusty too at the mount points. I sanded them down and used Energy Suspension grease.

The Superpro or AVO offset LCA bushings, the Whiteline roll center kit (ball joints etc)., AVO rear sway bar reinforcement brackets, would all be useful upgrades and the Cusco front and rear lower chassis braces would help to reduce high speed lift issues. Just sand and repaint the Cusco fr and rr sway bars. I have all these bits on MY06 LGT and they all contribute to a stable good handling and safe daily driver.

For butt sag you could consider saggy butt shims or an extra set of rubber spring perches (not extra top hats)

Lloyd M. 2006 GRP LGT 5EAT Sedan [For Sale]

I replaced the front Cusco sway bar bushings with Energy Suspension ones. I also installed Superpro offset LCA bushings.
Might you know offhand where I can aquire the Energy Suspension bushings and Superpro offset LCA's? I can't find them at my normal vendor sites I visit.

The Superpro or AVO offset LCA bushings, the Whiteline roll center kit (ball joints etc)., AVO rear sway bar reinforcement brackets, would all be useful upgrades and the Cusco front and rear lower chassis braces would help to reduce high speed lift issues. Just sand and repaint the Cusco fr and rr sway bars. I have all these bits on MY06 LGT and they all contribute to a stable good handling and safe daily driver.

For butt sag you could consider saggy butt shims or an extra set of rubber spring perches (not extra top hats)

Very much like my plan looks now. Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure what saggy butt shims are but I'll look around. I'm guessing that's code for some forum project to fix this, so I'll search around. Thanks!

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

If my memory serves me correctly, I think I purchased the superpro LCA bushings from Turnin Concepts and the energy suspension bushings directly from energy suspension online. If you can't find the Superpros, the AVO kit is an alternative, albeit more expensive. poly is poly if it fits, imo. Whiteline uses poly bushings for their sway bars, so they might have some available too if the size is compatible with the Cuscos.

The saggy butt shims are a slang term for metal shim plates that are designed to raise the ride height in the rear of the car. Lowered rear = saggy butt.

Here's my goal:

- Get the car to be a good handling/steering/stable car. I don't hit the track anymore. I just want a good daily driver, and a safe daily driver.

- I don't want to buy coilovers but everything else is pretty much on the table.

- Safety is a must. i.e I'd rather not put the stock end links on if I'm going to snap them.

you need better dampers.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've decide to refinish the Cusco sways and secure them with Energy Suspension 22mm (f) and 21mm ® urethane bushings. As was stated, these are universal so I don't mind modifying to fit.

The springs and shocks stay I think. They appear to be working well.

The end links will be switched from Cobb to Karboy's. I've heard nothing but good things about Kartboy's and frankly I'm unsure why the Cobb's need/want all the articulation that the bearings provide.

The rear end is getting fastWRX.com 3/8 inch saggy butt spacers.

I could not find any AVO or other rear sway bar bracket reinforcement kits anywhere, period. I'm going to fab my own.

The lower control arms are getting SuperPro offset bushings (buying a press too) and I'm installing Whiteline's ROCK kit for the ball joints. I'm also installing Whiteline's steering bushing kit for feel.

For good measure the brakes are getting a goodridge stainless line kit, Hawk HPS pads, and ATE Super Blue fluid.

Tech day will be next Sunday and hopefully an alignment on Monday.

I really hope this gets rid of my issues and gives me the safe and well handling car I want. I hope you guys think so too.

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are great, thanks, Jeff

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Rallitek sells the AVO rear sway bar bracket braces.

-mike

Thanks Mike,

none in stock.

I worked my way up to AVO turbo which supplies to everyone (i think) and they have 2 shipments. 1 on a boat, 1 on a plane. Neither arriving soon enough for me...

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I went through the same email/PM chain to find out that all the AVO kits are "ON A BOAT!" i got my swim trunks

and my flippy floppies.

Stinger, assuming all the parts are properly installed, you will be pleased :)

Cusco's bars might vary slightly but mine are 23mm front and 21mm rear if it matters.

and my flippy floppies.

Stinger, assuming all the parts are properly installed, you will be pleased :)

Cusco's bars might vary slightly but mine are 23mm front and 21mm rear if it matters.

Mine are too, but for the life of me I can't find the post with a review of the Cusco's and 3rd party urethane bushings. In that post, the guy ordered 22mm and 23mm bushings and found the 22s to work better. I figure I'll widdle some material away if they dont work exactly as planned. My opinion on the clunking from Cusco sways is because their is a minute amount of slop and play between the bar size and bushing size. Hopefully this helps. I'm sure I'll be letting you know it doesn't :)

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Thanks Mike,

none in stock.

I worked my way up to AVO turbo which supplies to everyone (i think) and they have 2 shipments. 1 on a boat, 1 on a plane. Neither arriving soon enough for me...

AH ha, I never ordered mine yet so that's why I didn't know they were out of stock.

-mike

The car handles off the hook!

I didn't refinish the Cusco sways however I did secure them with the Energy Suspension bushings. While these are working well, I would not recommend them. The rear 21 bushing kit did not align the bar where the stock position was. It was a couple mm lower than stock. I decided to give it a whirl and it works good. The front bushing kit at 22mm squeezed the crap out of my Cusco bar, as it's a 23. This may have helped alleviated the clunks I was getting out of the Cusco. The housing for the bushings needed to be modified as they interfered with the subframe. In hindsight, I would buy urethane bushings, but not use a universal fit kit.

The springs and shocks have stayed. They looked to be in good order and the struts were not leaking. I like the Tein H-Techs because I'm not into the dropped look and I'm not into the stiff as shit feel. I want a well balanced car and this combo deliver imo.

The end links were switched from Cobb to Kartboy's. Many of the bearings on my Cobb's were shot in just 2-3 years. These end links, I believe, are the cause of the Cusco clunking. I'm also skeptical because Cobb decided to stop selling them. The Kartboy solid/urethane endlinks are a far better, simpler design and work well. The bolts in the kit were thinner than I thought they should have been, and introduced a lot of play within the endlink (prior to tightening down). This may be by design or a mistake. I'm checking with Kartboy for verification.

The rear end was going to get fastWRX.com 3/8 inch saggy butt spacers. They couldn't get their act together. They gave me misinformation on the phone and via email. The part wasn't in-stock. The in-stock part I switched to (1/4 inch) couldn't be shipped out within a week. After many emails and no responses, I gave up. I just received shipping information yesterday. I'm RMA'ing these as it was such a pain in the a$$ the try to get these.

I didn't fab my own RSB reinforcement brackets. I could have but I chose to buy AVO's. Their design looks really good. I'll install these later.

The lower control arms got SuperPro offset bushings (buying a press too) and I installed Whiteline's ROCK kit for the ball joints. I also installed Whiteline's steering bushing kit for feel. The bushings went in well with the press. I would not try this without a press. The Whiteline kits were installed and totally rock. After my front end alignment, these mods really made a huge difference I feel. The car's understeer has been drastically reduced. The steering is better marginally, but it is better. Very little dead spot. I did unfortunately break a steering knuckle taking out the ball joint. + $145 and a lot of driving to get that bastard.

The brakes got goodridge stainless line kit, Hawk HPS pads, and ATE Super Blue fluid. WOW what a difference. More bite, way better feel, and lower travel. No squishy feeling any longer. I'm sure that was the brake lines more than anything.

Tech day took 3 days and was a major pain in the rear. In the end, my car now handles *very* good. Not quite as good as my former stock 350z, but close. It's actually way more predictable now. Confidence = speed!

Thanks for all the advice. You guys are great, thanks, Jeff

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

Very nice setup. Have you looked into the Kartboy rear subframe bushings and whiteline rear diffy locking bushings? I added these in addition to the other ones you listed and they were very nice.

Also I broke my knuckle when I did my LCA Bushings/Ball Joints as well, so don't feel so bad.

-mike

Very nice setup. Have you looked into the Kartboy rear subframe bushings and whiteline rear diffy locking bushings? I added these in addition to the other ones you listed and they were very nice.

Also I broke my knuckle when I did my LCA Bushings/Ball Joints as well, so don't feel so bad.

-mike

I actually do feel better that you broke yours too. :)

What type of difference did these bushings make that you mention? I think I'm generally in love with polyurethane. lol

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

I did em all at the same time, so I'm not sure exactly how the rears helped, but they firmed it up in conjunction with the ones you've done already. It just feels nice and tight now. I won't have any hard data til I take it out to Watkins May 4-5 but I will report back after that event for sure.

-mike

• 1 month later...

Archived