LegacyGT.com

Transmission bearing at 17,000 miles

vader1

Had a transmission bearing go out at 17,000 on a 5mt. Whined like crazy, bearing near something called the "output shaft", anywho Subaru had the car for three days, got it back, shifter was "notchy" and you could feel a rougher engagement like something was not aligned properly when it was put back together. When I came to the first stoplight out of the dealer, I could not get the shifter out of fifth. It took a good HARD yank to get it out, then things started to free up and most of the notchyness is gone. However it does not make the high pitched whine anymore, it makes three other loud noises. A lower pitched whine above 30 mph, a high pitched whine above 50 mph (on top of the first one) and a slight screech when you hold the shifter all the way to the right to put it into fifth.

Good god, I seriously don't know how the tech signed off on the car and they gave it back to me. Dunno what this thread is about except that I am venting. If there is ANY metal on the drain plug I want a new transmission.

take it back NOW seriously. i had a "transfer case" bearing go on my 5mt last summer and it was whining like you described before. i noticed it after i got it back from a dealer service (overfilled OIL) and when i did a tranny flush, it was grey/silver :(

had it looked at a dealer in bklyn who were quite incompetent cause they claimed to have "fixed it" only to have the problem return on my drive back up to rochester. i then took it to doyle subaru and they told me a bunch of things were "misaligned", so they basically replaced everything between the center diff and output shaft, center diff included :)

unfortunately, a messed up bearing throws the shaft that goes thru it out of alignment... and that will cause a cascading effect on the rest of the drivetrain leading to LOTS of metal particles in the transmission fluid :(

Took a ride in the car with Service Manager, he said "Yeah, thats not right. That does not sound normal" and i left the car with them. I have dealt with this service manager before and like the guy, so I will have to give them the opportunity to make it right.

At least this time I got a Forrester for a loners instead of a Chrysler minivan. I am not a fan of Forresters, but driving a minivan goes against my core beliefs.

Well, I just got the car back, they replaced three other bearings and it runs smooth and silent. The service manager was great so I just have to cross my finger and hope its good for life.

Cars are made up of thousands of parts and invariably, you are likely to get a bad one or two. In my case it was a bearing. But it does make me leary of how long the transmission will last. I was planning on running the car until 100,000 miles before I sell. Its a second car and I only drive it about 7,000 miles a year, mostly in winter. But now I am going to take stock at about 50,000 miles and see how I fdeel about pushing it into non warranty territory.

I had two trannys my 00' and 05 that have had a bearing wear out the cases and cause problems. My 00' was after the 60,000 mile, that was the input shaft bearing. I got to pay for that one.

The 05 was covered because I had the 100,000 warrenty. Not sure which bearing cause that case to go and take a couple of gears with it. But at least I have a shiny new case, and a little gear noise when I lift in 3rd gear at about 2200prm. Dealer said that's because I have after market clutch. Yea sure...

Yep, that's just a subaru.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Toyota makes the new Venza with AWD. I have had to many subaru tranny problems to buy another.

Interestingly enough the WSJ review of this car called it the worst AWD car in the snow. It has some hokey Toyota AWD that makes it 100%FWD and then kicks the rears as needed.

Interestingly enough the WSJ review of this car called it the worst AWD car in the snow. It has some hokey Toyota AWD that makes it 100%FWD and then kicks the rears as needed.

Thanks for the heads up...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The dealer changed my front and rear differential fluid last week. By the end of the week I had a higher pitched light metal rubbing sound at lower rpms when accelerating. I took the car back in today and they heard the same noise and took out my transmission. I stopped by to get my daughter's car seat for my loaner and my service writer was gone but the one who helped me said he knew they were replacing a bearing but wasn't sure for what.

Is it possible this is just the result of something gone wrong with the fluid change or is this a more common problem?

Archived