LegacyGT.com

OEM 2011 WRX or Forester Head Unit Fit 2008 Legacy?

Just wondering if there is any way for this to work? My dash is starting to flicker every once in a while, which means I will need to probably replace it in the next year. I have become fond of the double din factory radio's because I want to keep it looking as stock as possible, and don't really want to re-wire everything.

Overall I will probably have to go with an alpine or something if this doesn't work out, but I was wondering if there is anyone that can verify the pin outs on the back. I really wouldn't mind streaming via bluetooth.

• 4 weeks later...
I have searched and can not find a kit to allow a double din install for the Climate control.....I am having the issue with my 06 Wagon where the display goes out or the controls stop working for radio or climate control....I just ordered a unit from the 08 Spec B as it is made by panasonic (versus mishomoto) and has a few more features (like the SRS)....suprisingly it was 628 bones......I thought it would be over 1K......only other option I think is to get a JDM Legacy DVD setup......would totally pass on the GPS system...

The 4th gen Legacy with auto climate uses an integrated circuit board for the entire radio and HVAC setup. You can't replace the stereo without seperating the HVAC controls. There is a JDM unit you can buy that has the HVAC controls seperate and allows for a Double Din. A couple people tried cutting the board and redoing the electronics, but it proved too expensive to be viable.

'08 + (maybe '07?) are upgraded HU compared to '05. they also have AUX in along with SRS.

To the question about the pinouts, I am almost certain that the newest gen of all Subaru's use a different wiring harness for stereos. I think they are 20pin.

The easiest way to find out is to goto a stereo website, or metra directly, and look up the aftermarket stereo harness for an '08 Legacy, then one for an '11 WRX or Forester. If they are the same P/N they are compatible.

But either way you need to seriously modify your HVAC to even accept a Double Din. As mentioned, once you go to that trouble, why bother with an OEM stereo. A Better more capable aftermarket could be had for 1/2 the price.

Archived