LegacyGT.com

Downpipe Installed - Sound?

Installed a catless STi uppipe and a Invidia Catless Downpipe on my car yesterday..... Need to get tuned soon.

Curious though.... Anyone have any idea what the sound is when its at max boost? I have checked for leaks, everything seems tight... Is this just the sound of a catless downpipe?

Thanks,

Tyler

i would first suggest to not drive like that at all untuned, stay out of boost or run the risk of causing some unwanted damage.

second, you can expect too hear the turbo a little bit more but there is a howl sound so dbl check for exhaust leaks. what did you use for gaskets when you installed everything?

I generally don't drive it like that.... Mainly was for the sound in the videos, but I will keep out of boost. The downpipe I used a new gasket.. The uppipe and manifold I used the stock gaskets, they were in really good shape, ran some high temp sealant on them for reassurance.

it will get louder with a down pipe. even my perrin with 2 high flow cats is louder. but that doesn't sound all that normal... did you check your turbo for play when you replaced the dp?

i second what robitrice said, get a tune asap, and take it easy on it.

• Mega Users
its not a leak. i have have a loud down pipe. sucks on the highway, especially under light load, which it is when it is at its loudest. its just the way the pipe sounds with a high flow cat. I'm seriously considering cutting a stock DP and getting a new tune.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

See... I dont notice it when the car is in netural and if I rev all the way up. It only makes the sound under max boost, so I dont really notice it on the highway either, although I have only been on the highway maybe 10 minutes.... Yours is loud like that though?

• Mega Users
See... I dont notice it when the car is in netural and if I rev all the way up. It only makes the sound under max boost, so I dont really notice it on the highway either, although I have only been on the highway maybe 10 minutes.... Yours is loud like that though?

yes. i notice the most during acceleration between 2600-3500 rpm, or on the highway in cruise control, going up slight inclines (aka, putting the car under heavier load then when its on flat ground).

i could sit there and free rev the engine all day and never hear it. nothing is noticeable at idle, or when the car is not under load.

ive been told by other members that some do not notice a difference in sound at all with their DPs. it all depends on the pipe. I may try out a catted CNT pipe to see if there is a difference. But then again, I've been saying that forever, and i still just deal with the sound:rolleyes:

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

yes. i notice the most during acceleration between 2600-3500 rpm, or on the highway in cruise control, going up slight inclines (aka, putting the car under heavier load then when its on flat ground).

i could sit there and free rev the engine all day and never hear it. nothing is noticeable at idle, or when the car is not under load.

ive been told by other members that some do not notice a difference in sound at all with their DPs. it all depends on the pipe. I may try out a catted CNT pipe to see if there is a difference. But then again, I've been saying that forever, and i still just deal with the sound:rolleyes:

Hmmm Wish you had a sound clip of yours to compare... I feel like mine you cannot miss if you tried, its pretty intense...

Well its intense enough she would have woke up like WTF! haha. I think I may just goto Subaru tomorrow and tear it all apart on Sunday, put all new gaskets and torque it all down to spec and see if it makes a difference.

• Moderators
Well its intense enough she would have woke up like WTF! haha. I think I may just goto Subaru tomorrow and tear it all apart on Sunday, put all new gaskets and torque it all down to spec and see if it makes a difference.

Never a bad idea to use new gaskets and follow torque specs.

FWIW, I've used both an invidia DP and a Cobb DP. Neither created a significant increase in noise. The invidia had zero effect, and the cobb has a mild increase in the subie rumble.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

its not a leak. i have have a loud down pipe. sucks on the highway, especially under light load, which it is when it is at its loudest. its just the way the pipe sounds with a high flow cat. I'm seriously considering cutting a stock DP and getting a new tune.

You need louder electronics or more WOT and high speed turns so you're not worrying about the sound so much. :)

I know what you mean though. You either have to embrace it or the sound will irritate you until you quiet it back down.

I say embrace it! :D

Up-pipe leak. And for the love of god please don't wail on the car like that until it's tuned.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Felt around the turbo at the cold start, no air coming out anyplace at up or down. Climbed under the car, felt around the bottom of the downpipe by the 02 sensor flange, light air puffing out, im sure maybe at full boost that could be the cause of the sound?

Pressure in the up-pipe can be 2 or 3 times what boost pressure is at redline. Unless you can feel around in there at full chat, you don't know it's not leaking.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Yeah, that does not sound right. I had put in my DP and used new gaskets, but then when I brought it in to a mechanic a week later for a turbo upgrade he used new gaskets for everything.

Usually the rule is, if your taking off a piece that has a gasket, replace the gasket no matter what. You will pay max $13-15 for a gasket... but you will also have the piece of mind that when you put it all back together and something is wrong, you can already rule out a gasket problem and save yourself a ton a time.

Hopefully new gaskets solve the problem. I hate when I do something to my car and it doesnt go according to plan.

Archived