LegacyGT.com

New, Need shome help

BlueRooGT

Hey everyone,

Glad to be here, proud 1st time owner of an 05 Legacy GT (previously had an 02 WRX, so i'm not completely naive w/ subarus), but sadly, my first post will be bad news. So I just installed a new Grimmspeed up pipe (w/ flex joint) last night and the first test run went well (kept it under 3000rpm), so i let her warm up and throttled it a little more and it sounded like my turbo was stuttering while trying to reach full boost. The sound starts at around 2500-3500rpm when im accelerating and disappears around 5-6000rpm. What is the cause of this sound?? Loose bolts? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Chad F

yep. New turbo-to-UP gasket and new UP-to-Exhaust manifold gasket. Super rupair had taken it apart to replace head gaskets and im guessing replaced the DP/turbo gasket, exhaust manifold/header gasket as well because they both looked new. The only gasket that didn't look new was the Exhaust manifold to Crosspipe gasket (looked worn) so i'll replace that asap. Any other thoughts anyone?

Does it go away once the car has warmed up? I was going to say exhaust leak at one of the gaskets, but those usually seal up once the car warms up. Also, you have a flex joint so that should help prevent the most common leak at the up->manifold gasket.

The sound stays once the car is warm. Either way I'm gonna go give every connection a once over tonight and see if that fixes it. Im just afraid to hit max pressure because I have no idea what it could be if its not a leak and im terrified of destroying my turbo w/ 98K on it. Any tests i could run to determine if there is a leak? (besides listening of course)

IMO it sounds like you are dumping exhaust out the wastegate. try tightening the factory wastegate and you'll probably be all better. you notice it drop off later in the rpm range because you boost has already tapered off. you notice it just as boost hits and gradually goes away. with the increased exhaust flow I'm not surprised.

Archived