LegacyGT.com

legacy turbo blown or what?

Ok so yesterday new years eve I was driving in my car and getting close to home. I noticed the car seemed to be shuttering and entering in a safe mode for about .... 4000 miles im over my oil change unfortunately by about 2000 miles however had royal purple and kandn filter so it should handle it. anyway i start hearing a loud noise coming from the front or turbo not really sure but that side maybe a bearing in the turbo or from a pulley i haven't driven it alot to see but i know it still runs and drives it does get louder as rpms increase. maybe banjo bolt screen is clogged should i check that first? doesn't seem to blow alot of smoke out of the exhaust as i have had a 3000gt with a blown turbo's. its cold and just seems kind of normal on idle. any thoughts. ill look for a video to see if i can depict the noise but a bad bearing has a unique sound and can come from a pully or turbo. boost on acessport reads normal along with everything else and no error codes!!!???!?!?! weird

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpwKaYlsirU]YouTube - funny rattle/knock subaru legacy gt[/ame] sounds like this kind of i have around 75k miles on it now and recently the powerstearing when i turn the car or drive it from first and it is not warmed up it will squeel and try turning it wont let me and squeel so maybe bad pully bearing in that department belt is fine though and is normal.

When my turbo went it didn't sound like that video and it didn't put out that much smoke. It made an metallic popcorn/procharger/heat shield rattle noise. After it sat for a few days and I was driving it on ramps it started to smoke loud.

I also have the power steering noise if car is cold. If I remote start the car and let it sit I never hear it.

Is that a 3rd gen?

Video is to represent sound not the actual car unless he has a rare concept 05.

Ah, I see... I had a tough time understanding his last "paragraph"

I was thinking the same thing and then went back to re-read.

Now that I kinda understand is this sound only when a/c kicks on? I had that issue when the belt was TOO TIGHT after changing it.

It doesn't sound like a spun bearing to me. In my experience, spun bearing sounds are not proportional to engine speed but rather very eratic and random. A spun bearing sound is much louder, especiallly with the hood open looking right at the engine bay.
lol

it seeems to be only when the throttle is pressed on idle its very spuratic that you hear it if it is a turbo is there a way to get a used one or something i need a quick fix lol. As I am going to basic in may and wont be using it for 4 years or so and maybe selling it if possible. I do have alot of mechanic skill from rebuilding my vr4 twice ground up and could easily replace thle turbo if possible.

im taking it into a shop i mean my gf dad has one but he doesn't realy deal with foreign pos lol. even though he helped me with my vr4 (4 weeks total). From rebuilding the motor twice to replacing the turbo's this is a different senario. my vr4 had rust built up in the motor i bought and froze up the bearing. thats not the sound this is making it seems it gets louder as powerband rpm increases. I dont know if the belt would increase as rpms do but i know the turbo does and if a bearing lost oil even for an instant can cause it to lock up and not work correctly. but i just dont see alot of smoke built up for the way it sounds if it is out i would see a cloud of oil smoke ^__^ (vr4 when i bought it with two blown turbo's then rebuilt with dr650 r's which lasted way after car died lol rust) blowing money $$$$ sucks

Yes it does. If I knew the turbo was gonna go I would have saved up and got a 16g and full out FMIC kit. Used turbos are gonna be cheaper than brand new. VF 40 and 46 new appear to be $1500 from a quick search before looking for used low miles ones.

Wanna help.

But need a good sound or movieclip to be sure.

Can you make it?

Yeah someone around you has to have a phone that can take borederline good video and sound. My iFail had horrible playback but once I put it on my computer it wasn't that bad.

yup took it to the worst place in the world because my dad some how trusts them chilsons subaru in eau claire lol. they couldnt tell me exactly what was wrong with the turbo because there inexperienced lol. the bearing went out in it i figured it out driving it over there the engine is fine and now im leaning twards a new or used turbo. What i always dreamed of is so close to being a reality i am leaning twards the polka pickle blouch dominator 2.5 xtr:wub: however i would like to know what is needed to fit this fine beast my plan is to keep stock if not 18 lbs of boost so i get no lag and fine 18lbs of boost into redline but how do i fit it from sti exhaust and an inlet that doesnt bolt right up is there adapters i could buy?

let me know guys anyone you know who has done this?

I want to keep the stock look and i will be keeping boost regulated dont plan on turning it up at all after having a 3000gt im happy with this power from the legacy and just want a little push with no laggy.

Archived