LegacyGT.com

Turbo failure wiki

Do yourself a favor and at least check/change/remove the filter in the passenger side head Banjo bolt. If you got that code, it was for a reason and you could have very well gummed up that filter more when you attempted to clean the oil passages. All the sludge has to go somewhere, and that tiny filter will catch a lot/all of it. Otherwise, you could have a blown turbo shortly after.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After driving the car for 130 miles, I have yet to have the cel come back on. With the random snow and cold I don't know when I can get the bolts done

I would have to agree with scontivt on that one, I'm talking from experience, after I threw that code I did the same along with an oil change, lasted about 700 miles before I threw the code again and blew the turbo moments later, deff worth checking out unless you plan on doing a turbo, and everything else packed with metal filings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do yourself a favor and at least check/change/remove the filter in the passenger side head Banjo bolt. If you got that code, it was for a reason and you could have very well gummed up that filter more when you attempted to clean the oil passages. All the sludge has to go somewhere, and that tiny filter will catch a lot/all of it. Otherwise, you could have a blown turbo shortly after.

I would have to agree with scontivt on that one, I'm talking from experience, after I threw that code I did the same along with an oil change, lasted about 700 miles before I threw the code again and blew the turbo moments later, deff worth checking out unless you plan on doing a turbo, and everything else packed with metal filings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will inspect them Tomorrow or Thursday.

But dammit, it's cold outside....

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HSQWJSA?cache=a66bae60c2e921b68883ad10396db17b#ref=mp_s_a_1_3&qid=1393712981&sr=8-3]Turbo International New RHF5/VH40 Cartridge for '05-'07.5 Subaru Legacy GT:Amazon:Automotive[/ame]

That link is broken. Did you mean [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Turbo-International-Cartridge-05-07-5-Subaru/dp/B00HSQWJSA/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393770993&sr=8-1&keywords=Turbo+International+New+RHF5%2FVH40+Cartridge]this [/ame]Turbo Int'l RHF5/VF40 CHRA?

The CHRA #14411AA511 that they mention, is actually the Subaru OEM P/N for a full VF40 turbo - hot-side(turbine inlet/outlet & WG), CHRA, and cold-side (compressor outlet/IC flange).

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 1 month later...

05 LGT with stock VF40 104K. I know its bound to go sooner or later but can that be the shaft bouncing around? I know the sure way to know would be to pull the turbo but I just wanted to see if anyone has heard this noise before. I've data logged it but no knock detected there.

Here's a link to a video

That's a strange one. Seems like that may be coming from the engine , in particular the valves. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking the frequency of the taps would be greater were it to be turbo related.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

you were filming it it at idle when there is not enough exhaust flow to spin it fast.

good test would be to increase the rpm slowly. if noise increases proportionally - it is not the turbo. if noise goes away or becomes louder - it is turbo.

This noise is very similar to what i had when my turbo started to fail. Mine was more on the turns and start up.

I thought it was the valvetrain initially, but the stethoscope method points to the turbo. The knock doesn't stay in step with the rpm of the motor. If I raise the rpm to about 2,000 and drop it the knock becomes erratic and out of step. Then it levels out and becomes consistent. If you bring the rpm back up over 1,500 it goes away all together. It didn't seem like a sound a turbo would make and maybe its not but that's where my money is.... literally. No matter what the noise is I am sure this won't be easy on the wallet :spin:

Could it be a heat shield mount on the turbo? As the exhaust pulses hit the turbine, there's some resonance associated with that and this can cause a shielding/mounting rattle. Also, are you seeing any knock in your logs? Isolating it in your logs, and comparing that to your stethoscope audio cues, make help you isolate it even more. If it's showing up as knock on your logs, and coming from your turbo, then it's likely something you need to attend to very soon...IOW, don't drive it until you've done some more analysis, i.e., pull the TMIC check for fluids, pull the DP for fluids, etc.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if BNR Supercars is still in business?

Their website doesn't look as if it's been touched in years....there's no order info, just a bunch of static information in pictures.

My turbo poo'd the bed after 130,000 miles and I wanted to get a new one. I assume their $750 price is worth it over the $400 China crap on Flea-bay?

Bryan is still in the game. I just spoke to him a week or two ago about some issues with a turbo I bought from him at least three years ago, and he was happy to help me. Good luck getting the time of day from your Ebay, Chinaturbosareus.com seller. He's busy serving his customers and building his turbos, not updating his website.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

How badly your turbo "poo'd"?

If it is in rebuildable condition, you might consider rebuilding it.

I did mine at pretuning.com. It is substantially cheaper than buying new.

Brian's turbos are an upgrade. You would need to change oil lines and re-tune the car.

I'm assuming I am now a part of this thread...or will be soon.

I'm parked on my downhill driveway, facing downhill. My car was idling there for about 10 minutes while I loaded up my car with my hockey gear. As I backed out of the driveway, I'm forced to put it under a bit of load to go up the hill.....large (relative as I'm not used to seeing any) blue smoke cloud out of the exhaust...:spin:

I stop on level ground, get out, a bit of smoke coming from the engine bay too...nothing huge though. It all goes away, everything seems "normal" so I drive cautiously to my hockey game.

I'm going to pull my downpipe and check the condition of the turbo on Saturday as I'm hoping this is just a seal going bad (anyone have a vf52 they want to sell me?), but other than that, I'm not sure what to do. I could do a compression check and whatnot I suppose, but I'm assuming this is turbo related.

05 LGT, 118K miles (about turbo failure miles)

How badly your turbo "poo'd"?

If it is in rebuildable condition, you might consider rebuilding it.

I did mine at pretuning.com. It is substantially cheaper than buying new.

Brian's turbos are an upgrade. You would need to change oil lines and re-tune the car.

I don't know how bad...no smoke or horrible rattle, but no boost and some noise can be heard from the turbo after shutting off the engine...

Thank you for the news about BNR.

My understanding, from his website is that the base 16G turbo is a direct (although better) replacement that requires 0 tuning, but an aftermarket oil line to have any warranty.

I'm assuming I am now a part of this thread...or will be soon.

I'm parked on my downhill driveway, facing downhill. My car was idling there for about 10 minutes while I loaded up my car with my hockey gear. As I backed out of the driveway, I'm forced to put it under a bit of load to go up the hill.....large (relative as I'm not used to seeing any) blue smoke cloud out of the exhaust...:spin:

I stop on level ground, get out, a bit of smoke coming from the engine bay too...nothing huge though. It all goes away, everything seems "normal" so I drive cautiously to my hockey game.

I'm going to pull my downpipe and check the condition of the turbo on Saturday as I'm hoping this is just a seal going bad (anyone have a vf52 they want to sell me?), but other than that, I'm not sure what to do. I could do a compression check and whatnot I suppose, but I'm assuming this is turbo related.

05 LGT, 118K miles (about turbo failure miles)

http://info.abcr.com/Portals/159368/images/Unknown-resized-600.png

...My understanding, from his website is that the base 16G turbo is a direct (although better) replacement that requires 0 tuning, but an aftermarket oil line to have any warranty.

True on the oil line BUT it is capable of much more power with a few add ons and proper tuning. Mine got 237/275 HP/torque on stock injectors and fuel pump. Expect to get significantly more with new ones and new intake.