LegacyGT.com

Starter Problem

About 4 weeks ago I ran into a problem where my car wouldn't start.2007 gt with MT. I never hear the starter engage. After trying a few times it will start. So I thought it was the battery since it was ~ 5 years old. I replaced the battery, cleaned the terminals, and it seemed everything was fixed, then two days later, same problem. Sometimes it would start after 3 tries, sometimes 15 minutes. Everything seems fine, radio on, etc, you just don't hear the starter engage. I brought the car into the dealer, and they kept it for a week and couldn't repeat the problem. I got the car back, 2 days later it did it again. It took me 15 minutes to start it. When it starts, it starts very strong. Mostly it happens when the car has been sitting for a while but not always. Yesterday morning it wouldn't start at the first try, but then did the second time. Today, it wouldn't start at the first try, so I put in my other key, and it started. But I put the old key back in and it also started.

Then I drove for ~7 minutes, went into a store for 5 minutes, when I came out it wouldn't start. I tried my other key, and it still wouldn't start. I pulled out the floor mat in case the clutch switch was the issue, still wouldn't start. I pulled all the keys off the key ring, still wouldn't start. Then I pushed the brake, then hit the gas. Then tried to start and it started. I looked at the wiring diagrams posted, and the brake and gas are not part of any starter circuit. I have seen a few posts on this, but so far I have not seen an answer to this problem. Any ideas of what I can try to narrow down the problem? Weather doesn't seem to be a factor. It happens when the car is cold and warm. When it happens, and I finally get the car to start up, I turn off the car to see if it will not start. But it always starts right up. The only thing I can say is I don't think it is the key.

The dealer did tell me that something similar happened to an impreza owner, and they replaced the starter and the problem didn't come back. But I have learned that if someone doesn't call you back doesn't mean the problem was actually fixed.

What I need is method to try to narrow down the problem. For example a green light that says the immobilizer circuit logic is closed, then if it doesn't start it means is the starter relay or the starter, or a red light that says the immobilizer circuit logic is open, so I can look at the clutch switch, ignition, etc. They have this type of HW at the dealer, but not something mobile.

Help.

Remove the cables for the starter, clean them and re-install them.

If that fails to fix the issue, replace the starter. With the tmic removed the starter is very easy to replace.

Remove the negitive battery cable before you remove the cable from the starter, just to be safe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

When the starter won't engage, see if you can give it a whack with a hammer/socket extension. If it then works, the starter solenoid is shot.

(old school:lol:)

Typically, your type problem is always the solenoid.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Same issue this Morning, had the problem where it would not start from the first try, thought it was the battery, had it replaced. This morning started from the 3rd time, and as I was ready to head back home the car would not start at all, I hear a load click and than sort of a current running noise but the started doesn't engage. I am pretty sure my terminal connections are fine as I am also connecting a battery booster while trying to start so I am sure there is enough juice.

Shitty part is that I am in an underground parking and I can't get a tow truck in there.

• Moderators

I'm in with the solenoid votes...probably the second cheapest thing to replace too, so worth a shot.

The cheapest thing is to check if you're having a grounding issue. If you have jumper cables the next time it wont start connect one end of the cable to the negative battery terminal and the other end to the frame of the car and try to start it (only using one of the cables out of the two on the jumper). If it starts right up it's likely a grounding issue.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Basically the same thing is happening to me today too. Clicking first, then after a few seconds, it slowly starts to turn over. It took several attempts.

This post most likely saved me from wasting money on a new battery.

^ slowly starts to turn over?

Clean the terminals first. before you change the starter.

We all should keep the battery terminals clean and covered/sealed with grease to pervent corrosion.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Update on my 07. Last Saturday, 1/7, it wouldn't start again. I decided to leave it to see if it would repeat the next day. I tried it on Sunday morning, wouldn't start. Tried in the afternoon, wouldn't start. Then I removed the cable to the starter relay, and put back on. Still wouldn't start. I was very happy, as I was planning on having it towed on Monday to the dealer as it would now repeat. Monday morning I tried to started, and first thing is started no problem. Ugg. I tried an hour later, and fortunately it would not start. I wanted it towed, as I was thinking if it was the starter, leaving it in that state it would be better. Fortunately they were able to see the same problem at the dealer. Sometimes it would start, and sometimes it wouldn't. They bench tested the starter relay, and it was fine. Then they probed the clutch sensor while pressing the clutch, and noticed it was sensing intermittantly. They explained this was not the primary clutch sensor, but the secondary clutch sensor. It's function is to detect the clutch during cruise control operation and send the signal to stop the power. But there is also a check that it is active during ignition. They replaced the sensor So far it is working fine. If it fails again I will post a new reply. I asked the tech about this, and he said he has seen primary clutch sensors fail, but this was the first time he saw the secondary sensor fail.

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread, but I'm having a very similar issue to elos. One day the car wouldn't start, nothing happened when I turned the key.

Exactly like I didn't have the clutch pressed in. Just nothing happens when you turn the key.

So I push started the car and I drove home. I had no issues for the next two weeks. Now this morning same thing won't start, nothing when I turn the key.

Battery is good terminals clean. I tried both keys in case it was some sort of immobilizer issue. In the back of my mind I'm thinking clutch sensor.

Besides the clutch sensor, what problems would produce getting nothing when I turn the key? I suppose power coming into the starter? Any easy way to test these clutch sensors? I guess this weekend I'll try and pull the starter and test it.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
I am going through same as OP. Sometimes startson second attempt, sometimes 30th. I am going to go through the starter system when I have time.

Does anyone that has had the issue have any updates on their cause/solution?

Mine was a very simple fix. The "signal wire" (sorry don't know the right term). Had some corrosion so when I was turning the key, the starter wasn't getting the signal. I cleaned the connection tab on the starter and I put a new end on the wire and slid it back on. Problem solved.

• 4 weeks later...
When the starter won't engage, see if you can give it a whack with a hammer/socket extension. If it then works, the starter solenoid is shot.

(old school:lol:)

Typically, your type problem is always the solenoid.

And if the whack doesnt work?

Resurrecting this thread, but I'm having a very similar issue to elos. One day the car wouldn't start, nothing happened when I turned the key.

Exactly like I didn't have the clutch pressed in. Just nothing happens when you turn the key.

So I push started the car and I drove home. I had no issues for the next two weeks. Now this morning same thing won't start, nothing when I turn the key.

Battery is good terminals clean. I tried both keys in case it was some sort of immobilizer issue. In the back of my mind I'm thinking clutch sensor.

Besides the clutch sensor, what problems would produce getting nothing when I turn the key? I suppose power coming into the starter? Any easy way to test these clutch sensors? I guess this weekend I'll try and pull the starter and test it.

Thanks.

what did you find?

:mad: I just got clutch done at 134,000 an now my starter is making awfull noise as if its a auto thats already been cranked on. It turns over fine followed by the noise again sounds like a car thats already on an somones still crankin the key, lasts 2 seconds an goes away an sounds fine. So i took it back an he said no noise an the starters not loose but i STILL hear it every 5 or so starts.. new starter???? ANYBODY? IDEAS???:spin:

johnball, you need to pull the starter grease the shaft the gear slides on and re-install it.

It's a common issue with these cars.

• 7 months later...
do any of you guys happen to have pictures of starter location/replacement steps? I am having the same problem wiith mine right now and can't find a replacement post anywhere.

its on the left side of the car under intercooler.. its super easy you dont need to go under the car.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived