LegacyGT.com

anyone have issues with install with cobb sts spec b?

Darkness of Death

hi guys,

i recently ordered myself a cobb sts for spec b..recieved it yesterday and tried to install it this morning after i came home from work. removal of things wasn't bad as it came with instructions - for sti..which was pretty much the same for the most part...

however getting the reverse wire plug into the shaft - didnt' go...went at it for a while and until it ripped skin off my index finger...i knew it was way more than close tolerance fit...it won't go without either grinding the plug in the car or without going one size oversize on the hole in the shaft and then reaming it. 4 hours with no luck = had to put back the stock shifter in large disappointment of the cobb product

i was just wondering if anybody else with a spec b went with the cobb and had the same issue..or this is a one-off situation.

thanks for the read ~

I did not have that issue with my Cobb STS. But I have to agree the reverse cable is a bit annoying. The reverse ring didn't move smoothly when I first put it on. I took the pin out and redid it. It was back to normal.

Did you happen to trim the plate inside? It did not appear that the plate could be reversed/flipped like some general instructions show. I did not trim the plate and adjusted as far as it's go without hitting the plate. I notice a vibration in that area when stepping on it in 1st,2nd,3rd. I figured maybe it's just too close and should be trimmed.

i did trim the plate inside for adjusting the throw distance

i have the throw shaft adjusted to the end being probably 10-20mm below flush.

it's worth trimming for if you want to adjust the throw sometime in the future or at least the possibility of it. doesn't hurt much

I installed mine a few days ago. No problem at all. I had to zip-tie the reverse lockout cable because it was catching on the drive shaft and scratched the hell out of it and riped the plastic sleeve that protects the cable.

So you inspected the plastic sleeve after a few days of driving? I just slid the cable away from the drive shaft. It didn't look like it'd rub in that position. I should probably inspect it again.

• 6 months later...

Archived