LegacyGT.com

Flashing red BRAKE light on dash.

While driving to Miramar this morning, the red brake light that turns on when the parking brake is engaged was flashing. Turned it off at the gas station and when I started it back up, it continued to flash. I turn the ignition off on the highway and bump started it in 6th and the light did not continue to flash. Apologize if this is a repost but do no time have time to search the forum before training. As always guys, I truly appreciate all your input.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it is just low on fluid from brake pads being low don't top off the brake reservoir just fill enough to low line.

If you fill to full it'll make a mess next time you do brake pads.

Is nobody going to mention that he turned his car off on the highway and bumped started it in 6th?

There is not much of an issue doing this under the right conditions. If you're concerned with the fact I used 6th gear, I was at highway speed so using a lower gear was not practical. I was also fully aware of the power assisted systems I would be without momentarily.

But thanks for the info! I was able to research it a little bit further and it is a possible indication of a malfunction with the parking brake. Brake fluid is full with only about 10K on the new pads now(97K total). I had a mechanic on base check it out this afternoon and as far as he is concerned, the brakes themselves are working properly. Knowing this, I am comfortable driving it home tonight. Hope this thread helps anyone else who encounters this.

Does it flash for a 2010? Our 2011 it just stay on, not flash for low fluid.

Wondering about this myself :confused: like you said my '11 brake light just stays on with a low fluid warning.

• 3 months later...

I might jump into this with the same problem on my 2010 wih 60k. I still have OEM brake pads, fluid resivoir is between min and max. I am noticing though a large amount of a rust/copper looking substance on my drivers side rear tire... Not the wheel itself but the tire. No other tire has this on it. My brake warning was flashing for most of the day today although I never lost any braking power. I understand my pads might be getting low but wasn't sure why the rust color substance on the tire???

Any thoughts/ advice?

Indicator is for both low fluid and an issue with the ebrake.

You may want to read up on how time consuming it is to manually disengage the ebrake. This would lead one to park in locations with just the tranny in gear until the ebrake has been fixed.

Cluster.jpg.76e512d0eb1aabca4bdaf29b36b22fd5.jpg

This is what the manual (2010) indicates:

If the brake system warning light

flashes, the electronic parking

brake system may be malfunctioning.

Immediately stop your

vehicle in a safe location, use

tire stops under the tires to

prevent the vehicle from moving

and contact your SUBARU dealer.

For details, refer to “Electronic

parking brake” F7-34.

From "Immediately" on is a little over nannying. Just avoid using the ebrake. So check out your manual for more info. Section 9, page 16 indicates how to manually unlock the ebrake if you get to that point.

The fun part is to turn the release tool 200-250 times, but not over 300, or it may cause malfunction of the ebrake.... which has already malfunctioned? So you can replace one failure with another.

Took the car by my mechanic today and just looking at it said to change the pads and during that time we would recheck/grease everything again to make sure nothing is sticking. Now, what pads to get.... Nothing insane, would prefer ceramic, but not sure of what options are good. Hawk? I read that centric premium rotors are good, what about their ceramic brake pads?

In the 2012 manual, it says the behavior is as described above - constant on for low brake fluid, flashing for a possible malfunction in the electronic parking brake

you might be spot on with the ebrakes having a malfunction. I'm not sure if it's diff for you guys with GT's but my brake light on the dash started going off when i suddenly used my ebrake in traffic ...weird thing is the engine light + cruise + traction control all when on flashing?? This went on when i went to the gym that night and came back. It did turned off only after i dusted the cleaned the car a bit. It's ok now...planning on getting my read on with the manula but if you guys have any input on this i'd appreciate it.

I just had it serviced last week - they did check the brakes and said it would still be good till the next maintenance

I figured since my brake light when on too that it's related to this thread but i can repost if it seems im jacking it - thanks fellas!

...weird thing is the engine light + cruise + traction control all when on flashing??

:lol: we had the same light show come on out in the Everglades very late at night. :eek: forgot the exact code # is somewhere on the board but the fix was take some Vaseline and lube your O-ring on the gas cap. Code will state there is a leak in the sealed fuel system.

• 1 year later...

I'm resurrecting this instead of starting a new thread...

I recently changed my front pads (worn out) and had a chance to check to make sure nothing was sticking, which it wasn't. Everything is back together, brake pads feel great, no low brake fluid as I topped it off after new brakes were on, yet I still randomly get that stupid red flashing brake light on. Of the 6 times I have driven it since changing pads, it has come on and stayed on for 3 of those times, yet there is no weird feeling with the brakes.

I may look into if it is an issue with the parking brake as I hardly (maybe 3x) use it since CVT.

Anything else I should look for or focus on. I'm only doing this as I'm selling the Legacy here before too log and don't want people questioning why the brake light flashes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Trying to exhaust all possibilities before I pay the dealer money to tell me the problem.

I don't know that this helps at all, but I had mine do that right after a cold start when I had spent the night in Flagstaff. The car was probably zero degrees throughout and the flashing BRAKE light went away a few minutes after I got on the freeway heading home, so essentially when the car was fully warmed up.

I live in Phoenix so I rarely see temps below 40.

• 5 months later...

Update to this issue:

Took it to a Subaru dealer and they tell me the brake actuator has seized up and they also need to replace the brake module...

No other symptoms other than the flashing red brake light. Total cost in the neighborhood of $1400. I'm uncertain because when the light would not go on, I was able to engage the parking brake system but they tell me they "tested" the actuator and that it is seized.

Thoughts???

Archived