LegacyGT.com

Loud noise on left turns

Greetings,

I drive a 2009 LGT 5MT 45,000miles on it. The problem i'm trying to figure out is why my car makes a loud noise on left turns. It sounds like rubbing or if you where holding something against the tire while it was spinning, get louder as you go faster or turn left and goes away almost completly on right turns. I have taken the tire off and checked to see if it was making contact with anything and there was no visible signs of rubbing on the inside of the wheel well or on the tire itself. I rotated the tires as well to rule out bad tire wear and it still makes the noise. I think this is comming from the front driver side and causes parts of the car to vibrate, mainly the dashboard. It does not cause any noticible effects to the steering wheel, break pedal or clutch. I could not find any posts specific enough to my situation so does anyone have any initial thoughts on what this could be?

• 4 weeks later...
+1 to this guy ^^ check that out youll be suprised...are you smelling bad burning of anything?
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

I didn't feel any play at all when I was rotating the tires, but then again i wasn't looking for that.

No burning smell at all.

I did visually inspect everything in the wheel well when i was rotating the tires and the boots looked good, no dry rot or breaks in it. However I didn't inspect beyond the wheel well and i believe there is an inner boot i need to check right?

I do plan getting on a lift and double checking everything and trying everything that you guys advised. I didn't think to spin the tires and listen for grinding so i'll be sure to do that next time.

At 45000k mile it should still be covered under warranty.

Good point, didn't even think about that. Wheel bearing are 5 years/60k miles. I'm about to ship my car from Germany back to the states so I'll contact a dealer after I'm back in America.

Have you changed your rotors recently? I had something similar on my 02 WRX a few years ago. On hard left turns I heard a rubbing/faint grinding noise. After taking it to Andrewtech in MD, he discovered that it was a poorly designed rotor from Racing Brake. The back edge of the rotor was rubbing against the dust shield under hard turns.

Archived