LegacyGT.com

ISC vs BC BR vs Megan Racing Coils

Jimblaz

Im looking into coils for the 05 LGT and all of these coilovers seem super similar. Does any one have an experience with any of them? or any kind of advice would be great. Im just looking for a good ride with height adjustability for the winter and summer differences.

thanks guys

Jon

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is your driving style? And is this your primary dd? Are you willing to expand your budget a bit or consider a nice strut/spring combo? The reason I ask is because I have the BC br's and regret it nearly everyday, and I live in socal! If you're dead set on those three I think the BC is the best hands down, but none of them will really give you a "good ride"

It is my DD here in Idaho. I just need a way to drop it in the summer and raise it up for winter. I go up to the resort here atleast once a week in the winter to snowboard. so i need the ride height to be adjustable and a near stock ride. Right now im on eibach springs on stock struts. My budget is really around $1000-$1300.

I was about to create a similar thread, albeit not naming the brands you suggested, and I ran across your thread.

I will monitor your responses a bit and see if you get any useful info for me.

I have spent at least 20 hours reading threads and reviews from various makes and models in an effort to find my perfect setup.

Most common thing I have read is the cheaper (1K price range) coilovers suffer from harsh ride quality, irregular strut to strut adjustment increments and noise issues.

None that you have listed seem to fit my bill and therefore I am willing to pay a bit more for a higher quality setup.

BASIC REQUIREMENTS:

good ride quality

height adjustment

longevity (me)

as well as noise free operation, being a DD (me also)

I want all of the above.

The only manner in which I may differ is that I want them to take some rather severe driving stresses on a daily basis.

It seems that changing your max target price from $1.3K to a bit closer to $2K will yield a much better suspension system that will most likely exceed your expectations, making it well worth your money invested.

I look forward to seeing what opinions you receive and also what you end up buying.

If I determine that I need coilovers, I'll be getting Tarmac 1s, based on what people are saying in my own thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coilovers-vs-springs-koni-bilsteins-169167.html

But that's pretty pricey. The consensus does seem to be what YourConfused is saying though.... cheap coilovers not so great, compared to a good spring+strut combo like Koni or Bilsteins.

If I determine that I need coilovers, I'll be getting Tarmac 1s, based on what people are saying in my own thread

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coilovers-vs-springs-koni-bilsteins-169167.html

But that's pretty pricey. The consensus does seem to be what YourConfused is saying though.... cheap coilovers not so great, compared to a good spring+strut combo like Koni or Bilsteins.

I just read your thread too, and it looks like we have reached similar conclusions. I am steering towards the tarmacs or the KW variant 2's. I have ground control coil sleeves on my other subie with Koni inserts and aside from the weak of a spring rate it is a nice setup with a fair amount of adjustability coupled with a verrrrrry compliant ride. Price was about $1K doing the labor myself.

I would like to buy cheap coils and have a nice ride, but would pay up to $2k range for a quality ride. Height adjustment is fun to play with too.

I currently have rallitek progressive springs on stock struts and the ride sucks. The little stuff is okay but on larger bumps I am bottoming out realllllllly hard. This is the first time that KYB has let me down.

I have the ISC's. They are alright, not to bouncy.

Though all I have to say is if you live where there is snow, take the coils off in the winter or use a ton of anti sieze or what ever. My coils are frozen solid after one winter. Though I also didn't use anything on them before hand. But alas I'm switching them out probably for Stance's in the spring.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

I'd go springs and struts.

Crappy quality coilovers aren't worth the money.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Funny, I've been running H&R springs with KYB struts for 3 years. Just switched to BC BR coilovers and the ride is great. I don't know why people say the ride is bad. Much better than what I had previosly. Even on a semi stiff setting, I say the damping is much better than my crappy spring and strut set up. And I live in NYC. We have some of the worst roads in America. Just my .02.
____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

Funny, I've been running H&R springs with KYB struts for 3 years. Just switched to BC BR coilovers and the ride is great. I don't know why people say the ride is bad. Much better than what I had previosly. Even on a semi stiff setting, I say the damping is much better than my crappy spring and strut set up. And I live in NYC. We have some of the worst roads in America. Just my .02.

+1 on the bc br coilovers

I just bought a used set of OB-specific Megan's including 4 new inserts for $300. Guy was from the NE area, two winters = 3 of 4 frozen.

Only have about 300 miles on em but so far so good. IMO most of the "complaints" come from improper or poor static setup. I have years of motorcycle adjustment experience ( basically a single CO setup LOL ) and can tell you first hand spring preload is a make-or-break setting. This is amplified on units that don't offer separate compression and rebound adjustments.

I ran revC Bilsteins and H-tech springs on my deceased LGT, can't gush enough positives about that combo. My ultimate test, the wife o meter, loved them.

Ultimately since the OP wants height adjustment capabilities a CO setup is the easy-button answer IMO.

+1 on the bc br coilovers

Again, +1. I live in Ontario, Canada and our roads are destroyed from winters and they stand up good to snow and salt, as long as you clean your car frequently in the winter and make sure to spray well inside the wheelwells, they ride great on 6 clicks away from full soft on the street, and for track days I run them full stiff. I love the adjustability of them and it was a great improvement over the stock spring/strut combo.

hmmmm...... i keep going back and forth on ISC and BC's now. I have heard good things about both. Thanks for all the tips guys it seems like if adjusted right these work wonderfully. Im already dropped on Eibach springs on failing stock struts.... Its a tad poppy. hahaha. I cant see these coilovers being a worse then that which isnt that bad anyways. :-)

• 2 months later...

How/what did you adjust? From all my research, it seems like a lot of people buy BC's and just don't know how to adjust coilovers and end up riding on the bumps stops... I'm very tempted to get them just **** with tuning them and see how well I can get them to ride.

IMHO the stock dampers suck. Do BC's have better or worse damping profiles? If it's even slightly better, good enough for the price.

I have owned BC and ISC's.

We focus on ISC now, the street comfort ISC rides MUCH different ( when I say different I mean softer/ more forgiving) than the "street" BC BR. Both are good bang for the bucks though IMO.

Any chance of getting a ride in a legacy with ISC's? I'm local.

If it's between those two get the BCs. Easier to order replacement parts/springs/dampers, good customer service IMO, and proven more than ISC. You can order them with swift springs if you want for a nice little upgrade.

you can get swifts for isc coilovers also. Im running swifts in the rear but ordered the wro ng length for the front. Ajw can get parts for iscs also. Not saying bc is crap but are they much better if at all? No.

BC is not a LGT specific damper. They make 1 damper for all models they sell. They just change springs. They are over dampened no matter what, imho. We have seen a few of the rear bodies go out. Not violently like the Megans did. But they lose the seal and bleed out. Even when properly set up. You dont get them re-built, they just send you another body to install. There are far better strut and spring combos. What a set of BC's gives you is inexpensive height adjustment.

Archived