LegacyGT.com

What do i need to get to lower my legacy

smashcrunk

I got a 06 Legacy 2.5i, i been thinking about lowering it for a while now, but finally got money now. I order 19' rims recently too. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what i need to get to properly lower my car. I'm thinking sti pinks for springs. but do i need new struts/shocks/spacers? if anyone would help that'd be great.

I got a 06 Legacy 2.5i, i been thinking about lowering it for a while now, but finally got money now. I order 19' rims recently too. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what i need to get to properly lower my car. I'm thinking sti pinks for springs. but do i need new struts/shocks/spacers? if anyone would help that'd be great.

You need to get searching.

19' rims are too big.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

+1

search the suspension forum. It will tell you what spring brands are popular and what brands offer more of a drop in height than others.

Or buy coilovers. Tons of options to choose from, based on price, performance, etc etc.

i have been searching. but i don't know if i only need new struts and springs. or spacers too. or if it's better to go with coilovers. i'v heard conflicting views. so i want some suggestions from ppl who own a legacy.

+1

search the suspension forum. It will tell you what spring brands are popular and what brands offer more of a drop in height than others.

Or buy coilovers. Tons of options to choose from, based on price, performance, etc etc.

ok cool thanks for the tip.

IMHO, swapping springs alone is a terrible idea. Your essentially putting the strut out of its effective range of motion, thus diminishing performance. But, you did inquire about having to swap struts as well, so I hope this comment isnt taken as bashing. Just additional informing.

Coils on a 2.5i is overkill imo, but you could probably keep it matted through almost any turn lol. Check out the bilstein HD's (oem spec b suspension). Just saw a set for $300 in the market place. Great setup, significant upgrade. definitely keep researching though.

Bilstein HD's ≠ OEM Spec B suspension.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

He said he got 19 foot rims. Those are too big.

No. The HD is a different strut than the Bilstein's on the Spec-B. As far as I know, 3.0R's don't have Bilsteins.

The HD's are valved for slightly higher spring rates than the OEM Spec-B Bilsteins.

yea think im going with the sti pinks. they lower it just the amount i want. 1.0 inch is perfect for me. then im ganna go with koni's front and rear. unless there are maybe cheaper ones? and yea i got the 19' are to big thing i canceled the order and ganna re-order 18'

ahh, i got you. this cleared things up a bit. guess I was thinking of the 3.0r limited. And the spec b bilsteins are inverted??

interesting, learn something new every day.

As far as I know, ALL bilstein struts are inverted.

I'm not going to disagree with Mike above, but I will say this. From a daily driver standpoint, it simply doesn't get any better than springs matched to Bilsteins. The ride quality is simply Grade A, and the build quality is MUCH higher than anything I've ever seen. I've never driven a Koni car with a similar setup to mine, but I can't possibly imagine it would be a better ride.

Koni's are great if you are going to track or AutoX the car on more than a club/casual level. If it's a DD, I wouldn't discount the Bilsteins at all. I'll never AutoX or track or RallyX my car, and I am VERY happy with my decision. If I want to AutoX or track or RallyX, I've got enough friends with turbocharged Miatas, Supercharged Elises, and caged Imprezas that'll let me drive them.

If I had to do it all over, I'd go with Bilstein HD's again in a heartbeat.

As far as I know, ALL bilstein struts are inverted.

I'm not going to disagree with Mike above, but I will say this. From a daily driver standpoint, it simply doesn't get any better than springs matched to Bilsteins. The ride quality is simply Grade A, and the build quality is MUCH higher than anything I've ever seen. I've never driven a Koni car with a similar setup to mine, but I can't possibly imagine it would be a better ride.

Koni's are great if you are going to track or AutoX the car on more than a club/casual level. If it's a DD, I wouldn't discount the Bilsteins at all. I'll never AutoX or track or RallyX my car, and I am VERY happy with my decision. If I want to AutoX or track or RallyX, I've got enough friends with turbocharged Miatas, Supercharged Elises, and caged Imprezas that'll let me drive them.

If I had to do it all over, I'd go with Bilstein HD's again in a heartbeat.

I actually drove my LGT on Konis + Pinks for a long while, then went back to stock and eventually put in Pinks + Bilsteins for about 3 months before I sold it. Everything else was equal on the car and the Konis were a notch above the Bilsteins. The biggest thing was the ability to dial it in with the adjustability for the streets/roads I drive on. If it's the money then go for the bilsteins but the Konis + Lifetime Warranty are a plus.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Great stuff guys. I appreciate all the input, it helps a lot on all the different perspectives and suggestions. I have decided to go wit the Koni's. Mainly for price and the warranty. But Now i'm thinking of buying H&R springs instead of the pinks? But I'm not sure if the H&R's might be TOO low. still leaning towards the pinks tho. what do u guys think?

the only think about pinks is that you might have a hard time sourcing them, might be better now? i had wanted to go bilsteins + pinks but the springs were on back order and front/back at different times so i just went the coilover route, seemed like a more straightforward solution without having to study all the different spring rates etc.

I have had bad experiences with coils in winter climates. The ring collars tend to crack or break on them over the years.

I'm a spring and shock/strut person. Thats the best route.

As to what most member stated. If you don't plan to do anything special to your car but daily drive it. Adjustable anything isn't necessary.

I have had bad experiences with coils in winter climates. The ring collars tend to crack or break on them over the years.

I'm a spring and shock/strut person. Thats the best route.

As to what most member stated. If you don't plan to do anything special to your car but daily drive it. Adjustable anything isn't necessary.

I agree mostly, however the Konis are really the way to go. Lifetime warranty on the parts and the ability to adjust it to the exact smoothness they want, even if you only adjust it on the initial setup.

-mike

Archived