LegacyGT.com

Replacing old radiator at same time as hoses--is it necessary?

So, I just got my car back from it's 90k service, and the shop noticed the upper radiator hose needs to be replaced (they're right, I double-checked it myself). However, the shop says that because the radiator is over 8 years old, I need to replace it too, otherwise the plastic end tanks will be at risk of cracking when the new hoses are clamped on. If not right away, then they'll probably go at some inconvenient time in the future.

There's a big price difference between one new hose and a whole new radiator. Has anyone heard of this being a problem? Should I bite the bullet and replace everything, or take my chances with the hose only?

Before they crack, the tanks will go a sort of greenish-grey color vs. the original black. I replace them when they change color, not at any particular age. Just go to an alloy radiator and avoid replacing it again.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

http://www.infamousperformance.net

PM m sprank, that's his site. he can take care of all your needs.

Most us upgrade to a Aluminum radiator I still run OEM hoses to it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the advice. They're quoting me $321, parts and labor, which gets me a new radiator and new upper and lower hoses. The radiator itself is $242 of that, which seems pretty steep now that I look at online prices. I'm inclined to go ahead and replace it, but there may be cheaper options.

Unfortunately, my car is an automatic (I have to commute in it, so I compromised). IIRC that makes sourcing an all-aluminum radiator difficult. Unless one of you knows something I don't.

Popular mod is aux trans oil cooler but I replaced my rad with another plastic one with internal tranny lanes and exchanger. I have it going radiator then aux cooler. Being I was looking to get back on the road as fast as possible I didn't go all aluminum. Seeing how long I had the car already, i may go that route next time.

My alloy rad has the ATF cooling circuit there, it's just blanked off.

Sent from some electronic device.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So, I just got my car back from it's 90k service, and the shop noticed the upper radiator hose needs to be replaced (they're right, I double-checked it myself). However, the shop says that because the radiator is over 8 years old, I need to replace it too, otherwise the plastic end tanks will be at risk of cracking when the new hoses are clamped on. If not right away, then they'll probably go at some inconvenient time in the future.

There's a big price difference between one new hose and a whole new radiator. Has anyone heard of this being a problem? Should I bite the bullet and replace everything, or take my chances with the hose only?

My OEM radiator failed. It's expensive to fix, far more than the cost of a new radiator. An alloy (Koyo or Mishimoto) is cheap insurance.

Nope, you can use the stock fans, which bolt right up.

Sent from some electronic device.

Update: I've decided to replace the whole radiator. Although it looked pretty new (might have been replaced sometime before I bought the car), I figure better safe than sorry when it comes to the cooling system.

Re: Mishimoto radiators, it doesn't look like any of their models have fittings for autos. Maybe they made one that's not listed though. I think the only solution for autos is to get a separate transmission cooler. But I'm not planning on any major power mods or towing in the near future so it's not a high priority to upgrade the cooling system that much.

Update: I've decided to replace the whole radiator. Although it looked pretty new (might have been replaced sometime before I bought the car), I figure better safe than sorry when it comes to the cooling system.

Good move. I've seen lots of aftermath from failures, especially from people who don't look at the gauges until the engine stalls. I'm really careful around cars with stock, grubby engine bays with the only clean part being a new radiator.

Yeah mine cracked along the top

At like 94k

And it def was NOT turning any other colors

Or looking old at all

But i decided to upgrade fans/hoses too all mishimoto ( great product)

I really dont understand why people dont consider this before other mods?!

Ive even been seeing less oil consumption

Prob cause everythings cooler

But hey ive got alot of mods and going a diff route/ path

So for your needs prob not neccessary

Good luck tho

I see your in CA, PM m sprank and tell him what you need. He'll take good care of you. His shop is in CA.

www.infamousperformance.net

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Yea, but he's still closer to order from then someone on the east coast.

Your new here. You'll see I have three places I highly recommend to buy parts from, two are on the east coast, Mike is on the west coast.

m sprank will get you the right part the first time. He's someone your going to want to buy from and ask for help when needed.

Support the guy's that support us here with free help.

m sprank has a real repair shop, so he has a lot at stake. You can trust what he tells you.

• 1 month later...
Yea, but he's still closer to order from then someone on the east coast.

Your new here. You'll see I have three places I highly recommend to buy parts from, two are on the east coast, Mike is on the west coast.

m sprank will get you the right part the first time. He's someone your going to want to buy from and ask for help when needed.

Support the guy's that support us here with free help.

m sprank has a real repair shop, so he has a lot at stake. You can trust what he tells you.

curious, who are the 2 vendors you'd vouch for on the east coast? thx

Found coolant all over the radiator and saw something resembling a crack. anyone know if this is the normal area where it happens?

1.JPG.3880d531f006213961d4bb173ec39340.JPG

2.JPG.90ae542625e12a4a7563e7d4952bf532.JPG

3.JPG.b9b8928a6151f797afd49d94b4fb2550.JPG

it seems to be hit or miss with radiators

the one in my 1994 accord lasted 21 years and 208K miles when I sold it to my friend at 168K coolant was changed 2 X between 90K and 168K

the one in my 2003 Subaru is still good after 13 years Coolant changed 3X in 90K miles

the one in my 2002 Acura CL Type S is still going strong after 14 years coolant change 4x in 140K miles

old coolant becomes acidic over time and that is most likely eating the seals on the rads

curious, who are the 2 vendors you'd vouch for on the east coast? thx

Found coolant all over the radiator and saw something resembling a crack. anyone know if this is the normal area where it happens?

That would be, Rey or Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com in NJ

or

PM Underdog he's in Ayer MA.

Either one can get you a OEM replacement or an Al. radiator.

If you plan to keep the car the replacement radiator and new radiator cap's with upper and lower hoses before winter...is good preventative maintenance.

Age is a facture with the hoses.

If your sure the radiator is in great shape, if the Tech is careful removing the hose, the plastic tanks should be fine.

Archived