LegacyGT.com

Winter rubber and 18's....

SubiGT

I have some 18x7.5 rims and would like some good winter rubber for them. I know most will tell me to get 17's, but I'm trying to work with what I have.

I wanted Hankook Icebears, but I don't think they are made in 225/45-18:(

Any experience out there with 18's and winter tires?

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Generally, the rule is to go from 18" to 17" and 17" to 16" if one wishes because tracking through snow you want a taller thinner tire.

In talking to the different tire dealers here...it appears that there are varing tires for different winter conditions...and the consumer takes the choice....eg Toyo Garrett, H rated and great for ice and deep snow..but they tend to mush on hard pavement and wet slushy conditions. Bridgestone LM-25 Vrate...good deep snow and is able to displace the water on wet slushy conditions and good handling on hard pavement. Now Michelin has a new tire out Pilot Alpin PA 3 Vrated that is more like an all conditions winter tire carring a "Winter Rating".

I have 17" on mine...and Subaru Canada is saying that a steel rim for 17" is not recommended...snows with steel rims are too heavy..they are recommending 16" ..if I want 17" snows ...I will need to purchase an alloy wheel.. so some have said...put the snows on the 17" and next year get a set of nice 18" inch alloy wheels and good summer tires. But with that extra money to do the summer tires....I can go "to the Carribean in the winter for a week" which makes living in the snow the other 5 months of the year manageable.(smile).

interesting tidbit Change....anyone else heard of the steel wheels and winter rubber combo being to heavy? I plan on running my stockers, with winter rubber this year.

SQF

So I asked the dealer if he had some alloy winter rims....and his response was.

I can't get them, I can only do 16" steel. I wouldn't recommend 17" steel rims, because of the weight."

I was hoping to find someone who wanted to get rid of their stock rims and would use them for the snows....no takers at this time.

So I found some alloy for 160CDN a piece....and will try the new Michelin Alpine Pilot PA3's

Found a set of Enkie 17x7's on the cheap, so I'll mount some 205/50-17 Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D's for this season.

No good info on winter 18's yet, so mods, it's OK to close this one.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

I bought the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero in stock size for my Spec B and got them mounted on the stock 18" rims. The set up was fantastic. We get plenty of snow in Ontario and I'm very happy with them.

When these one's wear out, I may go down to 17" winters and get some rims, but I didn't want to buy tires AND rims for a car that I just bought. Too much cashola.

Archived