LegacyGT.com

Twins on the way. Need to make room!

Cargo Box/Sub Woofer options for 05 Wagon

Hey all, I need some help.

I've got the Thule factory crossbars that attach directly to the factory rails on my 05 GT Wagon. I use my rack for bike and snowboard attachments (depending on the season) but now, my wife and I are expecting TWINS and I need to maximize my space to make my wagon insta-family-friendly.

I would like to get a cargo box for the top as I'm sure I'll be up to my @ss in strollers and other gear. I have a Thule Frontier box that I used on my old 97 outback but when I went to see if it would fit my new wagon, it doesn't. In order that it doesn't hit the hatch when fully opened, it has to be positioned ridiculously far forward on the car. Plus it would take some serious modificaton just to attach it to the bars. I'd like to get a shorter/wider box but still be able to fit at least one bike tray on the rack simultaneously. I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences with boxes (Thule or otherwise). Currently my rack has a fairing b/c the whistle was terrible with the bike racks up there so if you have any input about its interaction with boxes I'd love to hear it as well. If it matters, I did modify my crossbars by elongating the channels so the rear bar can slide further back.

I also have an aftermarket amplifier, speakers, and sub woofer box that I keep tied down in the back. I want to replace my sub box with either a sub that hides under a seat or stows away elsewhere so I can use my entire trunk and am looking for suggestions.

thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to the madness!

There's an OEM sub that goes under the passenger seat.

FWIW: I'm in the market for a system. If you do end up replacing your current one and want to sell your current one, please let me know.

I believe the Thule box can mounted off-center and leave room for one bike- it won't be pretty or quiet, and your gas mileage will suck. I put a tandem (and now a recumbent tandem) on the top of my 05 Wagon with a Yakima rack, and the noise increase in significant.

JL Audio makes a very nice subwoofer that fits into the back of the GT or Outback and takes up very little room:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_stealthbox_detail.php?fit_id=1540

Not cheap, though....

Dave

05 GT Wagon 5MT

Yep -- with twins on the way you are absolutely going to need a nice big topbox. I have only one child, but if the entire family is going someplace for an extended trip and we have to bring all of her bulky stuff (highchair, stroller, etc.) that box fills up completely. Mind you, I don't use all of the cargo capacity in the rear -- I don't want to have things piled up high where in an accident they can become projectiles aimed straight at the childseat -- so I don't ever pile things above the rear seatback.

I have a Thule Atlantis 1800, which I really like. It's big but I can put it on and off the car by myself and I'm not a big guy. The mechanisms that lock the box to the racks are adjustable, so it can fit pretty much any roof rack system. The only problem with this model is you have to set it as far forward as possible on the car, and even then the rear hatch hits it when raised. I just put some self-adhering vinyl buttons (like the kind of thing you put on the bottom of a table to keep it from scratching the floor) on the back of the box where it hits and it protects the paint just fine.

It's expensive, but we've found it worthwhile. If you're anywhere near an REI, get an REI credit card and put all of your baby purchases on it. The store credit you'll get from all those expenses (and they will add up!) should help defray the costs pretty well.

And most important, CONGRATULATIONS!!! If these are your first, get ready for your life to change like it has never changed before -- and afterwards you'll wonder why you didn't start earlier.

Yeah, these will be my first. I'm excited but pretty nervous.

So the Atlantis 1800 fits huh? Do you have the Thule load bar kit that attaches straight to the factory rails? Do you use a fairing or see any need for one? I was thinking about the Cascade xt 1500 but sounds like, from your experiences, I'm going to need something a little bigger.

Yeah, these will be my first. I'm excited but pretty nervous.

So the Atlantis 1800 fits huh? Do you have the Thule load bar kit that attaches straight to the factory rails? Do you use a fairing or see any need for one? I was thinking about the Cascade xt 1500 but sounds like, from your experiences, I'm going to need something a little bigger.

It fits, with the proviso I mentioned -- there will be some interference with the hatch, but if you put it as far forward as possible, it will be minor and can be managed.

No Thule load bar kit -- just the Subaru cross bars (made by Mont Blanc). Since the Atlantis' mounting points are adjustable front-to-rear, I usually put the front cross bar as far forward as it will go and put the rear cross bar as far back as it will go and adjust the mounting points to fit. This helps spread the weight out as evenly as possible.

I personally don't find a need for a fairing. The box creates some wind noise, but it's not really bad (if you have a sunroof, it helps to keep the shade closed). It also reduces gas mileage on the highway by about 4 mpg.

As a general rule, I use the top box only when traveling -- and if the top box is off I remove the cross bars too. For day-to-day life, I don't find a top box necessary. That said, I only have one child. I would expect a dual stroller is going to take up a lot of your cargo space....

Yeah, I need something to replace the clamp style snowboard carrier I'm currently using as well as serve as a kid gear carrier. Looks from your pic like you live out west. I'm gonna guess CO or UT? I'm in NYC, so I do most of my riding in VT or upstate NY. You wouldn't happen to be a hardbooter? We're few and far between but thought I'd ask. Which size evolution is that? Do you have any problems with the hatch hitting the back? It also looks like, if you were to slide the box all the way to the side, you could fit a bike tray on the side as well? You think? I noticed you don't have a fairing on there. Any wind whistle? Thanks for your help.

Chris

Archived