LegacyGT.com

Wont Start. 1996 legacy Stumped.

Hey people. So i have a 1996 subaru legacy Brighton wagon. About a week ago i started it up in the morning and ran an errand an came back home. The car sat for about an hour an then i came back out to go to work and the car wouldn't start...

-The starter engages and the car try's to turn over but wont.

- I discovered that i got no spark so initially i thought it was the coil pack. Changed that an still no start. Then i changed the ignition control module an still no start...

Side note- I got a new battery and alternator two months ago... If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. :spin:

Do you have a security system?

If so, the system should have a toggle switch or button under the panel trim on driver's side by your knee.

My wife kept hitting hers with the knee and flicking it off.

Hold the key in the start position and flick the switch to both positions, pausing between flicks.

O.

Awhile ago I had the same problem with my 1995 legacy L. I found the car on craigslist went down to check it out an it started up fine and i drove it down the road and came back and loaded it on my trailer. That night i came home and went to start it and it wouldnt run. The previous owner had replaced the battery and altenator very recently along with the coilpack, so i knew it wasnt that. So i changed the spark plugs and wires, still didnt help, then i changed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and the car has started perrectly everytime since.

So I swapped the crank sensor an the symptom got worse which was troubling. I followed the connection back an found that the po had twerkerly re done the connection electrical tape style an that It was barely holding on. We managed to get it to connect Am checked for spark. It now had spark so we un did the fuel filter to see if it was getting fuel which it was not. At this point we will trace it back an see if the fuel pump relay is bad an if not well replace the fuel pump an see how that goes. Ill check back later today. Pain in my ass.

So I swapped the crank sensor an the symptom got worse which was troubling. I followed the connection back an found that the po had twerkerly re done the connection electrical tape style an that It was barely holding on. We managed to get it to connect Am checked for spark. It now had spark so we un did the fuel filter to see if it was getting fuel which it was not. At this point we will trace it back an see if the fuel pump relay is bad an if not well replace the fuel pump an see how that goes. Ill check back later today. Pain in my ass.

I just had to replace my fuel pump. Much like you I had no indication of any pending failure. I drove it to the gas station and when I came back out it would no longer run. Apparently sudden failure of the fuel pump is common.

Yes! Success! Swapped the fuel pump which is very easy on our cars took about 45 minutes the old pump was seized an worn. She's back on the road an running great again. Thanks for all the help. Until next time. :wub:

Yes! Success! Swapped the fuel pump which is very easy on our cars took about 45 minutes the old pump was seized an worn. She's back on the road an running great again. Thanks for all the help. Until next time. :wub:

Congrats. I am amazed at how fuel pumps just stop functioning without any warning.

Edit: Out of curiosity what brand pump did you install?

Archived