LegacyGT.com

took a little road trip today--mpg...

Took a little road trip today--roughly three hours there and three hours back with alot of highway miles. Previously the best I had done on hour or less highway stints was 27.9 mpg--could never quite trip it over 28 mpg. So today that's what I was getting on the way down--27.9 mpg. Then I filled up down there in PA (gas is $.20/gallon cheaper btw) and on the way home was getting 29.7 mpg! Couldn't get the darned thing to trip 30 mpg, darnit! Man I'm loving this car--all the sportiness and comforts and just under 30 mpg to boot. PA gas is obviously superior to the sludge we get in NY *sigh*...

Yeah I noticed pretty good mpg on the highway too, unless of course I want to feel the torque at 3k rpms. In which case it's more like 12 :p Cruise control seems to do a better job than me of getting good mileage.. must be programmed to never boost. Seems to go between 25-35 with it on.

[quote name='frontrangeSubie']From my limited experience from the "trip computer", it reads AT LEAST 2 mpg too high on the "average"....The best way is to do it manually...the computer is just a cool thing to look at.... Mark 2005 Legacy Limited GT Sedan[/quote] I haven't checked recently, but when I first got the car I figured it manually to compare and see if the computer was accurate, and my numbers were pretty much the same...

How fast were you goign the whole time I couldn't get above 23.5 on a 600 mile road trip down here to North Carolina and the cruise was set at 80-85.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I average 23 mpg. I don't think it's that bad. My 00 GT got 22-23 mpg. And this is a lot more fun to drive. How do you get 28 mpg, you must drive like grandma... Boost makes me happy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

[quote name='scubie02']Took a little road trip today--roughly three hours there and three hours back with alot of highway miles. Previously the best I had done on hour or less highway stints was 27.9 mpg--could never quite trip it over 28 mpg. So today that's what I was getting on the way down--27.9 mpg. Then I filled up down there in PA (gas is $.20/gallon cheaper btw) and on the way home was getting 29.7 mpg! Couldn't get the darned thing to trip 30 mpg, darnit! Man I'm loving this car--all the sportiness and comforts and just under 30 mpg to boot. PA gas is obviously superior to the sludge we get in NY *sigh*...[/quote] Wow, your car must be a miser, then (or perhaps the SID computer is whacked :) I have NEVER seen 24 MPG (let alone 29.7) even on interstate trips. I have put almost 3100 miles on my 5 speed auto GT Limited, and the best I have ever averaged for a tank was just shy of 22 MPG. I don't drive agressively, either. Rob

[quote name='Max Capacity']I average 23 mpg. I don't think it's that bad. My 00 GT got 22-23 mpg. And this is a lot more fun to drive. How do you get 28 mpg, you must drive like grandma... Boost makes me happy.[/quote] I agree with you there -- Drive like grandma? Boost? Heck, the turbo must be disconnected :lol: Rob

[quote name='scubie02']Took a little road trip today--roughly three hours there and three hours back with alot of highway miles. Previously the best I had done on hour or less highway stints was 27.9 mpg--could never quite trip it over 28 mpg. So today that's what I was getting on the way down--27.9 mpg. Then I filled up down there in PA (gas is $.20/gallon cheaper btw) and on the way home was getting 29.7 mpg! Couldn't get the darned thing to trip 30 mpg, darnit! Man I'm loving this car--all the sportiness and comforts and just under 30 mpg to boot. PA gas is obviously superior to the sludge we get in NY *sigh*...[/quote] Is this with the turbo motor, or the NA motor?

My gas mileage has been going down since break-in. Must be that fun pedal I'm using a LOT! :mrgreen: I'm still getting right around 20 though. Last weekend think I was getting 24-25 going on about a 200 mile road trip. Was funny I was getting better mileage in traffic than cruising, I was jumping in and out of traffic too. Hmm, strange. :lol:

[quote name='SUBE555']My gas mileage has been going down since break-in. Must be that fun pedal I'm using a LOT! :mrgreen: I'm still getting right around 20 though. Last weekend think I was getting 24-25 going on about a 200 mile road trip. Was funny I was getting better mileage in traffic than cruising, I was jumping in and out of traffic too. Hmm, strange. :lol:[/quote] The motor LIKES a little abuse...similar to jedi.... :P

I usually get 24-25 even around town, and I get on it a few times pretty much every time I drive, same as I used to with the wrx. Of course, you don't really need to get on it as much with the legacy as you did with the wrx to get the same oomf. With the wrx you pretty much HAD to redline it to get the best out of it. I probably don't redline the GT quite as much just because you don't have to, but it gets taken up there at least a couple of times pretty much every time I drive, just to keeps everything cleaned out ;P. I was going about 70 or so on the highway on this trip--there was enough traffic you couldn't really do better than that much, and that was about the speed most of the traffic was moving (so you were boxed in).

I think gas mileage is the only thing we 2.5i owners can hold over the heads of you GT drivers out there: I'm averaging around 26mpg in mixed city/highway driving, and I recently got 30mpg on a road trip up to Northern California. And that was with the A/C on the whole time and a passenger in the car (not sure how much difference either really makes.)-And these calculations are my own, not the trip "computer". That thing actually said I was getting 32 mpg on my road trip. If Subaru could make the GT get the same mileage as the 2.5i and run on 87, gas, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.

[quote name='Austin2.5i']I think gas mileage is the only thing we 2.5i owners can hold over the heads of you GT drivers out there: I'm averaging around 26mpg in mixed city/highway driving, and I recently got 30mpg on a road trip up to Northern California. And that was with the A/C on the whole time and a passenger in the car (not sure how much difference either really makes.)-And these calculations are my own, not the trip "computer". That thing actually said I was getting 32 mpg on my road trip. If Subaru could make the GT get the same mileage as the 2.5i and run on 87, gas, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat.[/quote] The cost difference between 87 and 93 ocatane fuels is minimal, although the turbo does deter from fuel milage. There are always sacrifices, it just depends on which ones you're willing to make.

Yeah, psychologically it hurts to be using premium when you fill up, but when you actually sit down and figure it out you're really talking a couple hundred dollars difference in fuel costs in the course of a year--I'll take that for the performance. I totally undestand wanting to be able to use the regular, though, and the mileage is supposed to be better on the 2.5. Plus I drove a 2.5 wagon and its still peppy, so I can see people buying it. For me though coming from a wrx I never even considered the 2.5

[quote name='scubie02']Yeah, psychologically it hurts to be using premium when you fill up, but when you actually sit down and figure it out you're really talking a couple hundred dollars difference in fuel costs in the course of a year--I'll take that for the performance. I totally undestand wanting to be able to use the regular, though, and the mileage is supposed to be better on the 2.5. Plus I drove a 2.5 wagon and its still peppy, so I can see people buying it. For me though coming from a wrx I never even considered the 2.5[/quote] They're both 2.5, I assume you are reffering to the 2.5i... :)

It's funny that people mention that the cost of regular vs premium fuel is minimal. In California there is a 20 cent difference which amounts to 10% of the fuel cost. Factor that into the difference in fuel economy on the highway (GT gets 83% of what a 2.5i does) and you would have a much larger difference in fuel cost between the 2.5i and the GT. Plus, I know that if I got the GT, I'd have a hard time avoiding tickets. That thing is a rocket! Love the sound of that turbo whine, though. It's addicting. Happy driving.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'] They're both 2.5, I assume you are reffering to the 2.5i... :)[/quote] Yeah, I meant the 2.5i--most people I know just refer to them as the GT and the 2.5, but I suppose there could be some confusion there...

[quote name='Austin2.5i']It's funny that people mention that the cost of regular vs premium fuel is minimal. In California there is a 20 cent difference which amounts to 10% of the fuel cost. Factor that into the difference in fuel economy on the highway (GT gets 83% of what a 2.5i does) and you would have a much larger difference in fuel cost between the 2.5i and the GT. Plus, I know that if I got the GT, I'd have a hard time avoiding tickets. That thing is a rocket! Love the sound of that turbo whine, though. It's addicting. Happy driving.[/quote] Even funnier is quoting costs from somewhere one doesn't live Mr. ATX. :P

Archived