LegacyGT.com

VTT: Fewer accidents with studded tires

ehsnils

Google translated

The slippery road conditions are, the greater the probability that the car in the ditch has friction tires. It has VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland has concluded in a recent survey.

Dark and slippery increasing the risk of accidents during the winter. One of the biggest causes a traffic accident is that the driver is not adapted driving style to the road conditions. The choice of tire also has its significance.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhbl.fi%2Ffeature%2F2015-03-12%2F732801%2Fvtt-farre-olyckor-med-dubbdack&edit-text=

453747.png

Lots of restrictions on studded tires in the US (varies by state) - probably because they are really hard on the roads. So in some states you would think they would be helpful (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Illinois, for example) they are illegal at all times. In other states, there are restrictions ranging from a date window to specifically only in snowy/icy conditions.

• 2 weeks later...

Studded tires only provide better benefits in very few situations for everyday driving. The margin of benefit is very small. The negative aspect of them far outweighs their benefit overall IMO.

On concrete, studs are Baaaad news. Stopping distance is terrible. Also, the colder temps they are not as good either. Why? because the rubber compound is harder than studless tires which are awesome performers in all areas except dry pavement stopping where they do take slightly longer to stop.

Here is a good read. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/research/reports/fullreports/551.1.pdf

Here in NY you can run studs from Nov 1st to April 1st.

………….studless tires which are awesome performers in all areas except dry pavement stopping where they do take slightly longer to stop……………...

Studless tires have their shortcomings; mediocre braking on wet surfaces, mediocre hydroplaning resistance, and mediocre traction on ice as temperatures warm up and approach 32 degF. At 32degF, a premium studless tire will have ice traction greatly inferior to a premium studded tire. Multiple tests over the last 8-10 years have demonstrated that. Temperatures need to get far away from the melting point of ice (down to 5-10 degF) before studless tires have ice traction equivalent to a studded tire.

Subisnob, have you ever run studded tires?

Yup. Didn't like them. Actually, I hated them. Noisey, slippery as hell in most daily situation and stopping was treacherous.

Studless tires have their shortcomings; mediocre braking on wet surfaces, mediocre hydroplaning resistance, and mediocre traction on ice as temperatures warm up and approach 32 degF. At 32degF, a premium studless tire will have ice traction greatly inferior to a premium studded tire. Multiple tests over the last 8-10 years have demonstrated that. Temperatures need to get far away from the melting point of ice (down to 5-10 degF) before studless tires have ice traction equivalent to a studded tire.

Winter tires aren't perfect, but studless tires in MOST situations outperform studs.

WATCH

Yup. Didn't like them. Actually, I hated them. Noisey, slippery as hell in most daily situation and stopping was treacherous. Winter tires aren't perfect, but studless tires in MOST situations outperform studs.

Well... I lived in Albany during the time that I had my '04 STi with Vredestein winters. They were great tires... but in Albany, you don't need studded tires. I'm not surprised you didn't like them, because you didn't need them.

I spent the first 25 years of my life in Maine. Studded tires were an incredible addition to just about any car. I drove a '94 Thunderbird that handled better in the snow than anything I'd owned previously... because it had studded tires.

Tits mcgee

…….Winter tires aren't perfect, but studless tires in MOST situations outperform studs.

WATCH

That 2007 video from Tirerack is a joke. No test data is shown. Tire models are not even mentioned. The video was made to increase sales of studless tires. It looks like the studded tire in the video is a Firestone Winterforce, which is a bottom-of-the-barrel ice tire, with technology from 1985.

Bottom line is if you live in arctic conditions and there's ice/snow on the roads every day, studded makes sense. Otherwise, it's hard to argue with Nokian or Continental studless. I drove studded ties in Buffalo, and even those conditions wouldn't warrant studded tires.

Archived