LegacyGT.com

Why so many HID Issues?

Diggerdan11

So last night I installed a set of DDM HID’s into my Subaru. The light output was amazing and I am really excited about them.

Left HID, Right Stock

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg54/diggerdan11/2012-11-15_19-10-09_592.jpg

Well I then tuned my headlights off so the DRL’s were on, and the lights flash really bad. I’m thinking about disabling the DRL’s or turning my fog lights to DRL’s

I then went for a drive to check out the light output and see how much I needed to adjust my headlights. I drove around an thought it seemed dim, got back to my house and noticed that my passenger light was off . Turned the engine off and back on and the light came one, drove around a bit, got back shut off the engine and turned it back on and the driver light was off, turned it off and back on and the light works. I then proceeded to turn the car on and off multiple times and both lights seems to work fine.

I did some reading on here and noticed that it seems like there are lots of issues with aftermarket HID’s on here. Having one light not come on sometimes seems to be very common issues.

So what’s the deal with HID’s on our Subarus? I have had many DDM HID kits in the past with all my other vehicles and have never had any issues. Is it something to do with Subaru? Do you guys think a HID wiring harness might fix the intermediate working issue? What about the flashing when the DRL’s are on, is that normal?

I have HID’s in the Lows, Highs, and Fogs in my Tahoe, Highs and Lows in my Silverado, I had HID’s in the Lows, and Fogs in my Pontiac G6. All of them are DDM kits and I have never had a single issue.

seemed like you didnt read enough. you need a harness

Yeah I did not read until after i installed it. I figured it would be simple plug an play just like every other vehicle I have put HID's in.

I just ordered a harness form Xenonsupply.com. I added the DRL capacitor which supposedly will stop the DRL's from flickering.

Hopefully that helps.

I recently took a set of DDM's out of my car for what sounds like a similar problem to yours. The flickering is due to HID's having an issue with the DRL's as others stated, it's something to do with the the power level of the light. I unplugged the DRL's and after taking the kit out I plugged the DRL's back in and they don't work.. Just waiting on my TRS kit now!

HID is one of the simplest upgrades you can do to your car, and might I add that safety is increased.

With HID, the main problem is the ballasts blowing. Remedy? Get real good DIGITAL ballast. Head on over to http://theretrofitsource.com and purchase a good kit of digital 35W ballast

also visit HIDplanet.com and learn all you want. That forum helped me retrofit my civic headlight. I have no issues.

The bulb generally outlasts the ballast, they don't blow, just color shift

And oh, don't forget you need a relay harness, or make one yourself.

If you are installing HID into the halogen projectors, it stands a chance of melting it. some bulbs are hotter than some, and DO NOT use 55W ballasts

Archived