LegacyGT.com

Whirring noise when clutch NOT pressed?

I've done searches to find people with similar symptoms, but it gives me results for people hearing a whirring noise with the clutch pressed in, the typical throw-out bearing issue. However, I seem to hear the noise in the opposite case, when the clutch is not pressed in, and it goes away when I press it in. Mind you, this is only on cold starts that I seem to hear it. Any idea what it could be?

Thanks for the responses.

I'm surprised I'm having this issue at only 40k. Is this typical?

I'm also confused as I thought the throw out bearing was when the clutch was pressed in. So it's actually heard when the foot isn't on the clutch at all?

I've done searches to find people with similar symptoms, but it gives me results for people hearing a whirring noise with the clutch pressed in, the typical throw-out bearing issue. However, I seem to hear the noise in the opposite case, when the clutch is not pressed in, and it goes away when I press it in. Mind you, this is only on cold starts that I seem to hear it. Any idea what it could be?

Give Best Transmissons a call

http://www.google.com/search?q=Gable+Mount+Ventilator&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=&oe=&safe=active#hl=en&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=Best%20transmission%2C%20sp&pq=gable%20mount%20ventilator&cp=25&gs_id=25&xhr=t&q=best+transmission+springfield+ma&pf=p&safe=active&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-ContextMenu&sclient=psy-ab&oq=Best+transmission,+spring&aq=0&aqi=g1g-K1g-bK2&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=d75052a9b55837e0&biw=1014&bih=592

They are one of the few shops in the area I'd recommend. The owner, has a pretty fast Supra that he drag races.

If you ever need tranny work and can pull the tranny yourself, I have another buddy in Windsor Locks that can rebuilt it at his house.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Ok thanks, are they familiar with the throw out bearing job (I'd assume so)?

Is this guy's name Shawn? I think I remember hearing about this. He also had a modded VW if I recall. Same guy?

Get a TSK3 (transmision snout kit) sleeve and put on there when you change it out. The TOB runs on the transmission snout, this is superior extra protection. Also, depending on your power upgrades, this would be an excellent time to upgrade your clutch/pressure plate and flywheel too.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Ok thanks, are they familiar with the throw out bearing job (I'd assume so)?

Is this guy's name Shawn? I think I remember hearing about this. He also had a modded VW if I recall. Same guy?

Yes, Shawn, He did the TSK3 kit on my wagon. You can tell him I sent you, The guy and his son with the Yellow single cam Civic. When I was talking to him about my tranny, I mentioned my son and have yellow civic. Shawn say's, Oh your Ryan's Dad.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'm stock and rarely get on the car hard.

How critical is it I do this right away? I only hear it on start up, is that typical?

Mine started out just at startup. slowly got worse over the course of a few months. Replaced it and the clutch about 4 months after I started hearing the noise. The bearing sounded horrible when I spun it by hand.

I'm stock and rarely get on the car hard.

How critical is it I do this right away? I only hear it on start up, is that typical?

When I researched the issue I found a picture of a pretty mauled transmission once it ceased on LegacyGT.com

Mine was on startup only too. Did not think too much of it but my mechanic changed the engine oil and then restarted and thought he forgot the oil when the TOB finally ceased up.

He stated our clutch was worn somewhat(100k but wifey very gentle on standards) and could have simply changed the TOB itself ($40).

When I researched the issue I found a picture of a pretty mauled transmission once it ceased on LegacyGT.com

Mine was on startup only too. Did not think too much of it but my mechanic changed the engine oil and then restarted and thought he forgot the oil when the TOB finally ceased up.

He stated our clutch was worn somewhat(100k but wifey very gentle on standards) and could have simply changed the TOB itself ($40).

Remember, thats $40.00 for just the bearing, it's the labor that is a killer. It not a 10 minute job to replace the TOB.

Remember, thats $40.00 for just the bearing, it's the labor that is a killer. It not a 10 minute job to replace the TOB.

Labor was $400 for my Subaru indy which I think is roughly 6.5 hrs.

That's a lot of hours to pull a trans, even if R&Ring the clutch too. Must have been a book charge. Good shop should be able to pull it out and put it backin in about 3 hours, 4 hours top start-to-finish. On the other hands, $400 for 6.5 hours is about 4 hours at a dealership.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived