LegacyGT.com

HID Headlight Selection?

cuylerjr

I'm looking to get some HID's for my 05 Legacy. I've been looking around online and have found a lot of different websites. Not sure which ones are legit or not. So if anyone knows a good reputable site I can get some HID's from I'd appreciate it. Also I'm looking to get some lights that are more blue so I was thinking 10,000k, but I live in NY and don't really feel like spending couple hundred on lights then getting a few tickets from them. I'll appreciate any input. Thanks.

From what I heard, NY have strict laws for aftermarket HIDs. I this case, I would suggest you going with 5000k or 6000k. At 8000k, you might be risking it. DDM tuning is pretty popular and lifetime warranty as well. Or JLClightings.com. I'm just curious why you want 10,000k. I had 6000k, and currently have 8000k, and I think its too blue. If I have a choice, I would stick with 6000k or even 5000k. It's just preference what color temperature you want, but I wouldn't suggest 10,000k. And besides, 4300k is the brightest one :)

I got mine from ddmtuning. I used to live in nyc and with the legacy there was never any popo trouble with HID's. If you are going to get 10k you are better off just driving around with your headlights off at night :lol: the are uselss, and even worse when it rains.

X

---

And right now I'm at ddmtuning.com and I figure 55 watts, , 6k for the bulb color, then I'm not sure about the bulb type, if I need the HID Harness or not, the error emulator, or the adapter cables? Sorry I don't know much lol.

Just my .02, don't order from DDMtuning.com Last time I ordered a 35W kit from them, it took them about a month just to ship it out. They never answered their emails and when I called it took about 30 minutes for someone to answer.

If you don't want to deal with their horrible customer service, don't buy off their website. There is a vendor here on the forums that sells their kits, I'm sure he has much better service.

But if you do go through with it, you will need h7 type bulbs for the low beams, no extra harnesses or error emulators.

From what was said above DDM tuning is the place to go. As for Blue light do not go over 6000K the light output will be worse anything past that. You'd be better off getting some el'cheapo lights from pep boys or autozone if you go over 6000k. If you want the best lighting go for 4300k. That is OEM!

Diode Dynamics here.

Oh and 4300K bulbs... similar K rating and looks as OEM Benz and BMW. Very white with a hint of sparkly blue, and great output.

Personally I think anything over 4800K is both a heat-score with the cops and also very ricey.

Satisfied DDM tuning Customer. I purchased their 55w 5k and got it within 2 weeks of ordering. Haven't had any issues since. I would recommend getting a kit from them. Oh and I never got the harness because one is not needed for models '08 and up.

If you are doing low beams the error elliminator is useless, thats only for fixing errors when using on a bulb with DRLs. As for the HID harness Id say no. That is the only issue Ive had with DDM kits is when I hook up the harness because the relays are kinda sketchy. Adapter cables are only if you are running a retrofit using a D2s.

Honestly, I wouldnt do HID highs. Unless you do A LOT of night driving down complete dark back roads with no other traffic, they are pretty much pointless. Id advise getting maybe a set of yellow bulbs. Plus if you have DRLs (new to the Subie world so not sure if you do) then they will no longer work.

I live out in the middle of nowhere so I figure I'd get them. And right now I just have my stock lights in so I've never actually had HIDS. That's why I don't know much lol. But for the high beams the same bulb color but the type would be 9005 instead of h7?

As I said Im new to Subie so Im not sure the bulb type. But yeah, if you live in the middle of nowhere it will be nice. I have HID highs and lows on my bike because of where I live and it lights the road about as much as my truck HID lows did.

HID's in highs are useless. HID's need to warm up to even get to full brightness. As well, turning HID's on and off frequently will blow your bulbs faster than you know.

I run a set of DDM Tuning 35w 4500k HID's. Bought em second hand with predrilled caps so it was super simple for me. Been in for 6 months, but they were used for about 6 months before me. No problems besides one time when it flickered after I started the car with them on. No other problems to note.

Archived