LegacyGT.com

drawbacks of 205/50ZR17 for summer tires?

BrannigansLaw

What kind of deal? Tell me so I can go pick them up!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

lol the deal is on a used rim and tire combo, sorry nothing to pass along.

I'm aware it will mean 'less grip' in general, the question is how much less? I can buy 225/45/17 new but it would be significantly more than I can get this combo for, tires are hankook ventus evo k110.

Also, the tires going to be taller then a stock tire. So that will make your speedo off. Might also be a bit stretched on the stock 7 inch rims.

Personally I'd stick a 215 or a 225 on it and call it a day.

276hp/347tq On a DynoJet

Dyno Video - Had a big lean spot as you can tell in the second pull

lol the deal is on a used rim and tire combo, sorry nothing to pass along.

I'm aware it will mean 'less grip' in general, the question is how much less? I can buy 225/45/17 new but it would be significantly more than I can get this combo for, tires are hankook ventus evo k110.

I know, I was saying that if it's a good enough deal I'll drive up and get them if you don't want them. My wife is always looking for an excuse to go to Iowa anyway... And if my car is full of tires I know she won't be able to spend too much there!

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

If the deal is so great on the wheels, who cares about the 205 tires. Just burn through them and buy wider tires later.

If you're not taking this to the track, I dont see any negatives. 205/50/17 is OEM size for the 2.5i

+1 on what N.Sane says.

Subaru puts 205-50 all seasons tires on the 17x7 rim from the factory for the 2.5i.

Putting sticky summer 205-50 tires on your OEM 5 star rim will give you a huge improvement over any tire Subaru ever put on your car. Handling won't be affected unless you are driving and cornering at 10/10ths all the time. And who does that?

+1 on what N.Sane says.

Subaru puts 205-50 all seasons tires on the 17x7 rim from the factory for the 2.5i.

Putting sticky summer 205-50 tires on your OEM 5 star rim will give you a huge improvement over any tire Subaru ever put on your car. Handling won't be affected unless you are driving and cornering at 10/10ths all the time. And who does that?

The Stig :cool:

What matters far more than width of tire is the grip of the tire itself. For example a narrower high end summer will out grip a wider mediocre summer tire.

Not meaningful. If you like the rims, that is all that matters.

Thanks everyone - I'll see about getting these then. Nothing special about the rims (just plain scion TC), but the tires are the ones I want, and I'd like a second set of wheels anyway. This combo is going for what new tires alone will go for, so assuming they are in good shape I'll probably get them.

OEM Scion TC wheels' centre bore is 2mm too small for Subaru. If you buy them you'll have to get a machining shop to bore it out

Well that is good to know!! Is there a way to tell this from the wheel specs for future reference? I didn't know it was something to look out for.

Archived